Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New headlights retrofit

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I was mistaken. I was thinking about the gateway unlock using the brake pedal and right indicator simultaneous press.

Yes toolbox is needed for svc +
The person who reconfigured my car to support the Matrix LED did use service mode plus to do it. They remoted into my car via my laptop which was plugged into the diagnostics port. I did take a photo of the headlight page when they finished it:

Attachments

• IMG_4701.jpeg
    IMG_4701.jpeg
    405.5 KB · Views: 28
  • Informative
Reactions: Durzel
Is this possible only through SVC Mode Plus? Guessing I would need toolbox access? I’ve got the Matrix on my 2018 working.
No, you need access to the shell. Service shell within toolbox does what you need to do (service shell isn't quite a true shell prompt and Tesla could certainly restrict its capabilities, but so far they've left that method open). I think in the past it was possible to telnet into the car and open up a true shell prompt just by having the ethernet connection, but if there's any way of doing that these days, it's not well publicized.

After countless hours of scouring eBay and salvage sites, I finally found a pair of used matrix lights that I'm willing to pay for (most on sale either had scratches of missing fixings). I'm expecting to get them delivered in the next week or so and I'll be fitting it as soon as they arrive.

Managed to get this done earlier today. Took me an hour longer than it should have because I panicked when the RH light didn't turn on when I connected it. I tried reconnecting the original unit and I panicked even more because that didn't turn on either, so I thought I damaged the connector!

Anyway, I proceeded to Toolbox hoping it was just a characteristic of removing the part. Thankfully it was, because after the change and the software reinstall it powered on. I had to go for a short drive for the lights to re-aim, but all done now.

FYI, the consumer version of Toolbox now lets you update the headlight type AND the levelling system in the Infotainment Dashboard config. So I didn't need the Toolbox proxy or service shell for this.

Managed to get this done earlier today. Took me an hour longer than it should have because I panicked when the RH light didn't turn on when I connected it. I tried reconnecting the original unit and I panicked even more because that didn't turn on either, so I thought I damaged the connector!

Anyway, I proceeded to Toolbox hoping it was just a characteristic of removing the part. Thankfully it was, because after the change and the software reinstall it powered on. I had to go for a short drive for the lights to re-aim, but all done now.

FYI, the consumer version of Toolbox now lets you update the headlight type AND the levelling system in the Infotainment Dashboard config. So I didn't need the Toolbox proxy or service shell for this.
Could’ve told you about that strange behaviour when connecting them. 😓 It certainly is worrying - when mine were fitted one was stuck on and the other was completely off. Assumed the worst, as you did.

Glad to hear you’ve got this done. It really is a night and day difference, particularly with the unlocked functionality.

I had mine done pre-Toolbox change, had to pay someone to basically hack the config value on the car. At that time no levelling reconfiguration was done because it wasn’t even done though Toolbox. Wonder if I still need to do this? Car passed an MOT at Cleevely shortly afterwards.

Reactions: doats1
Could’ve told you about that strange behaviour when connecting them. 😓 It certainly is worrying - when mine were fitted one was stuck on and the other was completely off. Assumed the worst, as you did.

Glad to hear you’ve got this done. It really is a night and day difference, particularly with the unlocked functionality.

I had mine done pre-Toolbox change, had to pay someone to basically hack the config value on the car. At that time no levelling reconfiguration was done because it wasn’t even done though Toolbox. Wonder if I still need to do this? Car passed an MOT at Cleevely shortly afterwards.
Yeah I noticed the difference in spread instantly. I haven't had the chance to try out the adaptive functionality yet though.

You did yours before they even introduced the adaptive light functionality, right? I'm going to guess the virtual pitch sensor config would have been introduced as part of the updates but could be wrong.

Yeah I noticed the difference in spread instantly. I haven't had the chance to try out the adaptive functionality yet though.

You did yours before they even introduced the adaptive light functionality, right? I'm going to guess the virtual pitch sensor config would have been introduced as part of the updates but could be wrong.
Yes that’s right. The adaptive stuff came out shortly afterwards, maybe a couple of weeks or so I think.