Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New higher capacity charger

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi all, I'm waiting for my new inventory 75D to arrive. I see from the specs that it has this 72amp charger.

What do I need to take advantage of this at home? In the UK we get a £500 grant towards a home installation, but I don't think that includes the Tesla wall charger, so I'm looking at alternatives.

Can anyone recommend me a charging station for home which would take advantage of this higher charger? I have 3 phase at home if that helps?

Thanks for any advice, this charging is a complicated thing!

Hi all, I'm waiting for my new inventory 75D to arrive. I see from the specs that it has this 72amp charger.

What do I need to take advantage of this at home? In the UK we get a £500 grant towards a home installation, but I don't think that includes the Tesla wall charger, so I'm looking at alternatives.

Can anyone recommend me a charging station for home which would take advantage of this higher charger? I have 3 phase at home if that helps?

The HPWC is configurable with 208V 3-phase or 277V 3-phase. See link for PDF, pages 8 and 9

https://www.tesla.com/sites/default/files/80A_Wall_Connector_Installation_Manual_EN_JP_ES_0.pdf

Your best bet is to look in the UK & Ireland sub-forum. There are a couple threads in there about UK charging including the OLEV grant scheme. I seem to recall that there is an extra charge for 3-phase charge points from most OLEV installers.

Also, the PDF linked above is the US/Canada/Japan version. This is the European model that is 3-phase capable and has the correct vehicle connector.

https://www.tesla.com/sites/default...ll-connector-installation-manual-en-EU-v2.pdf

You really don't need to charge a 75 at the full 72A.

You can save $$$ by installing a lower amp circuit.

In the US, a 30A circuit can charge most cars overnight for typical driving.

We have an S P85 with dual chargers (supports up to 80A) and have it connected to a 50A circuit, charging at 32A.

And our new S 100D came with the standard 48A charger, and charge it through our HPWC on a 100A circuit, dialed down to 48A. [We do this because the two cars are sharing the same 100A circuit, which means the actual sustained load should be no more than 80A.]

And both cars have been able to get fully charged overnight.

My recommendation is to go with a lower amp circuit, especially if you have a long run of cable from your breaker box. And assuming Tesla is installing an urban supercharger near you, if there is a time when you need to charge quickly - make a run to the supercharger to do that.

Overspending on home charging is tempting and helps to alieve range anxiety. But after owning a Model S for 4.5 years, I realize we've overspent on installing charging circuits in two homes - at least for cars with up to 100 Kwh of power.

Reactions: Falkirk and GJ79