TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC
Start a Discussionhttps://teslamotorsclub.com/tmc/tags/

New higher capacity charger

Discussion in 'Model S: Battery & Charging' started by Tevvy, Jul 12, 2017.

1. Tevvy

Tevvy Member

Hi all, I'm waiting for my new inventory 75D to arrive. I see from the specs that it has this 72amp charger.

What do I need to take advantage of this at home? In the UK we get a £500 grant towards a home installation, but I don't think that includes the Tesla wall charger, so I'm looking at alternatives.

Can anyone recommend me a charging station for home which would take advantage of this higher charger? I have 3 phase at home if that helps?

Thanks for any advice, this charging is a complicated thing!

2. sauce

sauce Member

The HPWC is configurable with 208V 3-phase or 277V 3-phase. See link for PDF, pages 8 and 9

https://www.tesla.com/sites/default/files/80A_Wall_Connector_Installation_Manual_EN_JP_ES_0.pdf

3. miimura

miimura Active Member

Your best bet is to look in the UK & Ireland sub-forum. There are a couple threads in there about UK charging including the OLEV grant scheme. I seem to recall that there is an extra charge for 3-phase charge points from most OLEV installers.

Also, the PDF linked above is the US/Canada/Japan version. This is the European model that is 3-phase capable and has the correct vehicle connector.

https://www.tesla.com/sites/default/files/pdfs/wall-connector-eu/20161208/tesla-32a-wall-connector-installation-manual-en-EU-v2.pdf

4. bob_p

bob_p Active Member

You really don't need to charge a 75 at the full 72A.

You can save $$$ by installing a lower amp circuit.

In the US, a 30A circuit can charge most cars overnight for typical driving.

We have an S P85 with dual chargers (supports up to 80A) and have it connected to a 50A circuit, charging at 32A.

And our new S 100D came with the standard 48A charger, and charge it through our HPWC on a 100A circuit, dialed down to 48A. [We do this because the two cars are sharing the same 100A circuit, which means the actual sustained load should be no more than 80A.]

And both cars have been able to get fully charged overnight.

My recommendation is to go with a lower amp circuit, especially if you have a long run of cable from your breaker box. And assuming Tesla is installing an urban supercharger near you, if there is a time when you need to charge quickly - make a run to the supercharger to do that.

Overspending on home charging is tempting and helps to alieve range anxiety. But after owning a Model S for 4.5 years, I realize we've overspent on installing charging circuits in two homes - at least for cars with up to 100 Kwh of power.

• Like x 2