Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New HOV Stickers

Would you stick this on your vehicle?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
California has always used the stickers on the plate. Left side has the month of expiration (one time sticker from when you get the car), right side has the year (and registration #) which you get a new sticker every year..
You need to tell this to half the people I see around here (Bay Area). Many of them have it reversed; year on left, month on right. I've even seen one car that had ALL of the yearly stickers SURROUNDING the left corner of the plate.

California has always used the stickers on the plate. Left side...

Understood, we used to as well which is why it seemed anachronistic to me when I noticed the plate sticker on the futuristic EV. My response was the same as when I spotted a Commodore 64 in That '70s Show, I did a wait?! what?!
blogentry-3056-0-48524700-1392131685.jpg

Ah - looks like I accidentally edited out the "to prevent theft" from the end, which was meant to tie into the stolen tag comments.

Understood, we used to as well which is why it seemed anachronistic to me when I noticed the plate sticker on the futuristic EV. My response was the same as when I spotted a Commodore 64 in That '70s Show, I did a wait?! what?!
View attachment 296209

Ah - looks like I accidentally edited out the "to prevent theft" from the end, which was meant to tie into the stolen tag comments.

I have always lived in states that have the license plate stickers - it always looks weird to me when I see the registration in the window. I don't think theft is as big of a deal anymore - I think most people just print counterfeit ones now.

That KUBE logo looks weird as well - that box almost looks like an L and in my mind, I quickly added a "Y L" in the middle of the logo.

Plastic RzR blade and some chemical should do it.

I just stuck 4 on my volt (the guy I bought it from had them stolen) and have greatly been enjoying the carpool lane this week. It's saving me a ton of time on my daily commute! I guess I will sell the car when they expire I cant imagine going back now. Hopefully I'll have my 3 by then.
What was the process for getting replacement stickers? I thought the DMV was pretty strict about sending back the damaged ones, did you get a police report?

Talk about over-engineering. What's so hard about swapping the year sticker once a year? (tip: heat up the license plate; makes it very easy to pull off the old sticker in one piece).

Back to topic: Please, California, let us apply the HOV stickers to the plates or the inside of the windows in the future!

• Disagree
Reactions: lUtriaNt
Talk about over-engineering. What's so hard about swapping the year sticker once a year? (tip: heat up the license plate; makes it very easy to pull off the old sticker in one piece).

Back to topic: Please, California, let us apply the HOV stickers to the plates or the inside of the windows in the future!

Those stickers must cost pennies per batch to produce - it's obvious more cost effective just to have the license place permanently connected to cellular :)

I just use a box cutter to remove the sticker, don't really care if I scratch the license plate as the new sticker will just cover it up.

What's so hard about swapping the year sticker once a year?

I just use a box cutter to remove the sticker, don't really care if I scratch the license plate as the new sticker will just cover it up.
In my 45 years of driving and being responsible for keeping the plate registrations up-to-date, only one time have I ever removed the old stickers. It was to access the correct color for the current year :) .

Back to topic: I'm probably getting MSM. Red/white sticker on that is going to look weird.

• Funny
Reactions: smartypnz
What was the process for getting replacement stickers? I thought the DMV was pretty strict about sending back the damaged ones, did you get a police report?
The guy I bought the car from was actually the guy that had them stolen, but then by buying the car they because my stolen stickers.

You have to file a police report then re-apply for stickers using the form and send a copy of the police report. Then you get to wait. The carpool lane consists of about 70% of my commute so they went on the car as soon as I received them!

Do they look great? Well no, but they make me smile anyways. I no longer need to come into work late, then stay late to beat traffic. Well sort of anyways, the non carpool lane portions of the freeway can still get pretty backed up, but I love cruising past all the stopped cars. I can pretty much leave at any time now, and the drive is more relaxing too. One of the best perks for getting a clean air vehicle!

The guy I bought the car from was actually the guy that had them stolen, but then by buying the car they because my stolen stickers.

You have to file a police report then re-apply for stickers using the form and send a copy of the police report. Then you get to wait. The carpool lane consists of about 70% of my commute so they went on the car as soon as I received them!

Do they look great? Well no, but they make me smile anyways. I no longer need to come into work late, then stay late to beat traffic. Well sort of anyways, the non carpool lane portions of the freeway can still get pretty backed up, but I love cruising past all the stopped cars. I can pretty much leave at any time now, and the drive is more relaxing too. One of the best perks for getting a clean air vehicle!
How long did it take to receive the replacement stickers from when you mailed the application?

How long did it take to receive the replacement stickers from when you mailed the application?

When I bought my Tacoma, previous owner had registered the car and hadn't received the stickers yet and I wasn't counting on the guy sending me the stickers when he received them. The AAA office can provide new stickers. Just have to fill out the form at the counter and give them $20. Took 5 minutes.

• Disagree
Reactions: MIT_S60
I have the stickers but never put them on. I just couldn't bring myself to put them on. However, I have it in my glove box and use the HOV lanes everyday for the past 2.5 years (in the Tesla - but have had EV's for over 5 years now). I've never been pulled over and willing to risk/fight it if I get pulled over for it. lol

I may not win, or maybe just get the fine reduced, but I'm not putting those hideous stickers all over the car.

Reactions: itskv and israndy
I have the stickers but never put them on. I just couldn't bring myself to put them on. However, I have it in my glove box and use the HOV lanes everyday for the past 2.5 years (in the Tesla - but have had EV's for over 5 years now). I've never been pulled over and willing to risk/fight it if I get pulled over for it. lol

I may not win, or maybe just get the fine reduced, but I'm not putting those hideous stickers all over the car.

It's a risk for sure, and I would expect allot more enforcement once 2016 and older teslas no longer qualify. Thus there will be no way to tell if your legal or not without having them, your really asking to get pulled over IMO. Also technically they can fine you whatever they want (you won't necessarily get the fee reduced) just because you have the stickers but did not apply them.

Not worth getting pulled over and fined for me.

• Funny
Reactions: itskv and MIT_S60