Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New Icon on Touchscreen [limited regen braking icon]

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I had a new icon show up on my touchscreen this morning and I can’t find what it means. It is a green circle with the charging symbol in the middle. I’ve never seen it before. Since it is green, I don’t think it is bad but I’m curious if anyone else has seen it.
401C4824-6823-4686-81A8-2C66297BA434.jpeg

Reactions: Scubamikey
Solution
I had a new icon show up on my touchscreen this morning and I can’t find what it means. It is a green circle with the charging symbol in the middle. I’ve never seen it before. Since it is green, I don’t think it is bad but I’m curious if anyone else has seen it.View attachment 871077
It refers to regenerative braking and should be in the release notes. Also add air to your tires.

Regen Blend Indicator Light​

Tesla Regen Blend Indicator Light feature in update 2022.40.4

Available Worldwide
Undocumented Change
Models:
S
X
Y
With this update Tesla has added a new indicator light that appears near the other indicator icons.
This new indicator appears to signal that regenerative braking is limited and that brakes will be...
I had a new icon show up on my touchscreen this morning and I can’t find what it means. It is a green circle with the charging symbol in the middle. I’ve never seen it before. Since it is green, I don’t think it is bad but I’m curious if anyone else has seen it.View attachment 871077
It refers to regenerative braking and should be in the release notes. Also add air to your tires.

Regen Blend Indicator Light​

Tesla Regen Blend Indicator Light feature in update 2022.40.4

Available Worldwide
Undocumented Change
Models:
S
X
Y
With this update Tesla has added a new indicator light that appears near the other indicator icons.
This new indicator appears to signal that regenerative braking is limited and that brakes will be applied in order to provide a consistent experience when slowing down.

Upvote 1
Solution
It’s actually an icon that shows you will have blended braking. I’m not sure if that icon appears if you turn off the blended braking for regen.

It does (appear if you dont have on blended braking). I dont use blended braking at all, and charged my car to 100% yesterday, and saw that icon.

Upvote 0
It's not a warning. It's information (since the icon is green). Same thing, like information that your headlights are on. Just so you know the current brake mode of your car.
Thanks, Art. So even though nothing will feel different, it's letting you know? Seems unnecessary. The headlight info is important, since sometimes you want to know the state of your headlights.

I wonder whether they'd have this display if braking had been feathered in from the start.

Upvote 0
Thanks, Art. So even though nothing will feel different, it's letting you know? Seems unnecessary. The headlight info is important, since sometimes you want to know the state of your headlights.

I wonder whether they'd have this display if braking had been feathered in from the start.

What do you mean by "nothing will feel different?" I dont use blended braking, but I was under the impression that you could feel it in the brake pedal if you use it (meaning the brake pedal feels different).

Is that not accurate?

Interesting. I’d be curious if it disappears when regen is not limited by temp or full battery. Does the display still show the dots if regen is limited?

I didnt pay attention if when the green icon went away, I still had regen dots or not. I do know that it went away when I had some regen braking available. I dont use blended braking as I mentioned. I dont normally charge past 90% but I did a couple days ago, and saw this icon.

Upvote 0
What do you mean by "nothing will feel different?" I dont use blended braking, but I was under the impression that you could feel it in the brake pedal if you use it (meaning the brake pedal feels different).

Is that not accurate?
From what I'm understanding, we're talking about the situation in which the brake pedal isn't touched. That is, before the blended braking was involved, we needed a warning at high SOCs that said, "Hey, just so you know, the car ain't gonna slow down much when you take your foot off the accelerator!"

That was crucial information. But then some engineer at Tesla said, "I've got an idea. Why don't we use the brake in that situation so that the car behaves the same at 100% as it does at 50%? That way, nothing will feel different, and we won't need a warning!"

Elon smacks head. "Of course! Why didn't I think of that?"

If that's how things work, the info message is nothing more than a distraction.

That's how I think of it, but maybe I'm making some unwarranted assumptions.

Upvote 0
Most likely you ll have a different feeling for the break pedal, if car will engage a traditional breaking and at the same time you decide to slow down faster by pushing the break pedal.

At least this is how it was on my Volvo. If car was breaking by itself on the cruise control, I literally saw how my break pedal is moving.

If that’s the case, then this information is useful, so you will know why your breaks behaved differently, otherwise scared because of that you ll book a service appointment that something is wrong with your car.

Upvote 0
Most likely you ll have a different feeling for the break pedal, if car will engage a traditional breaking and at the same time you decide to slow down faster by pushing the break pedal.

At least this is how it was on my Volvo. If car was breaking by itself on the cruise control, I literally saw how my break pedal is moving.

If that’s the case, then this information is useful, so you will know why your breaks behaved differently, otherwise scared because of that you ll book a service appointment that something is wrong with your car.
Thanks @Art84, that makes sense. On my Model 3 in Hold mode you can feel the brake pedal move inward when it holds the car at a stop. So probably the same thing happens if using the brakes to augment One-Pedal Driving (OPD). (I've left that new feature off so I haven't experienced any brake pedal difference there myself.)

Reactions: Art84
Upvote 0
The icon is new to me, started showing up when version 2022-40.4.1 uploaded a couple days ago. It has been coming on here in Utah, since temperatures have been cold below 27f (-2.8c). Prior to the update, a full "Regen is limited" banner appeared under the onscreen car and stayed on for many miles (35) until the battery gets warmed up. Tonight, it was 27f and the icon stayed on the whole trip.

If I press on the green regen icon, it opens a full explanation banner below.

I've definitely noticed limited (practically no deceleration) quite often when the green icon is on (regen works intermittently, not totally broke). The car just coasts with very little slowing. I'm glad the icon is showing onscreen, as it has been a bit unsettling when approaching a stop light, and the car is coasting as if it will run right through the light, needing to press the brake pedal. I've just enabled using actual brakes during this condition, not sure if it will be a better experience.

Reactions: MaxYasgur
Upvote 0
The icon is new to me, started showing up when version 2022-40.4.1 uploaded a couple days ago. It has been coming on here in Utah, since temperatures have been cold below 27f (-2.8c). Prior to the update, a full "Regen is limited" banner appeared under the onscreen car and stayed on for many miles (35) until the battery gets warmed up. Tonight, it was 27f and the icon stayed on the whole trip.

If I press on the green regen icon, it opens a full explanation banner below.

I've definitely noticed limited (practically no deceleration) quite often when the green icon is on (regen works intermittently, not totally broke). The car just coasts with very little slowing. I'm glad the icon is showing onscreen, as it has been a bit unsettling when approaching a stop light, and the car is coasting as if it will run right through the light, needing to press the brake pedal. I've just enabled using actual brakes during this condition, not sure if it will be a better experience.
Exactly the same thing for me. With a new update 2022.40.4.1 this icon showed up and looks like it's a replacement for a previous informational batter that was before in the lower part of the screen.

Reactions: MaxYasgur
Upvote 0
It’s actually an icon that shows you will have blended braking. I’m not sure if that icon appears if you turn off the blended braking for regen.
Hi Scott et al.
I live in Sweden and I have the new icon showing up.
As far as I know, the automatic physical breaks blending function is not available in Sweden.
This appear to be true since I don't have any choice to use the feature or not...
My take would then be that the icon appearing indicate that you have limited regen breaking due to low temperature and/or nearly full battery. Then in US you can choose to have physical breaks blended in or not.
What say you?

Upvote 0
I also see this new icon. I saw this first on my Model 3 RWD with LFP so I thought it is because the battery is charged 100% but today saw it on my M3P as well when it was at 50%. I guess the battery wasn't conditioned to support regenerative breaking even at 50%.

Upvote 0