Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New Icon on Touchscreen [limited regen braking icon]

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I had a new icon show up on my touchscreen this morning and I can’t find what it means. It is a green circle with the charging symbol in the middle. I’ve never seen it before. Since it is green, I don’t think it is bad but I’m curious if anyone else has seen it.
401C4824-6823-4686-81A8-2C66297BA434.jpeg

Reactions: Scubamikey
Solution
I had a new icon show up on my touchscreen this morning and I can’t find what it means. It is a green circle with the charging symbol in the middle. I’ve never seen it before. Since it is green, I don’t think it is bad but I’m curious if anyone else has seen it.View attachment 871077
It refers to regenerative braking and should be in the release notes. Also add air to your tires.

Regen Blend Indicator Light​

Tesla Regen Blend Indicator Light feature in update 2022.40.4

Available Worldwide
Undocumented Change
Models:
S
X
Y
With this update Tesla has added a new indicator light that appears near the other indicator icons.
This new indicator appears to signal that regenerative braking is limited and that brakes will be...
I noticed a difference after the update/new icon on my 22 Y. Before the update each morning when it was cold there was still enough regen breaking to stop me without engaging the breaks, which I really liked especially if there was snow/ice. After the update on snow or ice I either have to enable blended breaking or physically push the pedal which has caused the ABS to turn on and I've slid a little, which IMO is more dangerous.

Pehaps their testing has found it helps to save battery life in the long run, fine, but I'd prefer the to maximize regen breaking in snow or ice.

Has anyone else noticed this in snow or ice?

Upvote 0
Recently I've noticed a green symbol on my screen that appears for brief periods of time, as captured here below the red seatbelt icon. It appears to be associated with power, but its purpose isn't clear to me.View attachment 880883

(moderator note)

Merged with an existing thread on this topic

Reactions: Keninblaine
Upvote 0
I noticed a difference after the update/new icon on my 22 Y. Before the update each morning when it was cold there was still enough regen breaking to stop me without engaging the breaks, which I really liked especially if there was snow/ice. After the update on snow or ice I either have to enable blended breaking or physically push the pedal which has caused the ABS to turn on and I've slid a little, which IMO is more dangerous.

Pehaps their testing has found it helps to save battery life in the long run, fine, but I'd prefer the to maximize regen breaking in snow or ice.

Has anyone else noticed this in snow or ice?
So no one has noticed the difference when blended breaking vs. regen breaking in icen or snow?

Upvote 0
Randy. I am not worried about the icon. I am concerned about the change in performance. Bottom line, when there is snow or ice and the blended breaks are on OR I actually hit the break there is an occasional slide (albeit short or small); however, this was not the case before this "icon" showed up. I'd warm the car in the morning (15-20min) and after less than five minutes of driving the regen breaking would provide enough to stop me at a stop sign, now I have to apply the break. Concerning? Perhaps not in that scenario, but going down a relatively strait mountain highway at 50mph 20 minutes after I start and cabin warm the car it uses blended breaking or physical breaking, and it is NOT what I experienced prior to this update.

Upvote 0
Randy. I am not worried about the icon. I am concerned about the change in performance. Bottom line, when there is snow or ice and the blended breaks are on OR I actually hit the break there is an occasional slide (albeit short or small); however, this was not the case before this "icon" showed up. I'd warm the car in the morning (15-20min) and after less than five minutes of driving the regen breaking would provide enough to stop me at a stop sign, now I have to apply the break. Concerning? Perhaps not in that scenario, but going down a relatively strait mountain highway at 50mph 20 minutes after I start and cabin warm the car it uses blended breaking or physical breaking, and it is NOT what I experienced prior to this update.

From my reading the Icon is only telling you that you have reduced regen and that you should/can toggle on blended breaking.
The car should be just like before if you don't toggle blended breaking on.

Reactions: Yuri_G
Upvote 0
From my reading the Icon is only telling you that you have reduced regen and that you should/can toggle on blended breaking.
The car should be just like before if you don't toggle blended breaking on.
My apologies for not being clear. I absolutely have noticed a difference with regen breaking only after the update. Regen breaking is not working as soon in my drive or as strong as it was prior to the update. Days Prior: Stopping at a stop sign with one pedal. After: physically used the break much more, and I noticed it takes longer in my drive before I can fully stop at a stop sign on the way to work with one pedal. I drive the same route, same starting SOC, exact same weather/temps just prior and after the update. When it really bothered me was a week later we had our second snow, and I had to hit the break a lot more than in the previous snow fall a few weeks prior and the ABS turned on a few times. I am just saying/asking if anyone else has seen a functional difference after the update.

Upvote 0
The green icon for regenerative breaking is always on not matter my battery charge or driving. Is this correct?
The icon went away after ~35 min. Started at 90% in stop-go traffic and icon disappeared at 80%. Weather was dry, sunny, and 48-50 degrees. Immediately after that icon disappeared I noticed the regen breaking, or better put, just letting go of the accelerator was instantly stronger and slowed me at stop lights without having to use the break. Right before the update (I've always started at 90%) it was roughly 10-15 minutes max before regen/one pedal was enough to slow me at stoplights in the same weather.

Upvote 0
I also see this new icon. I saw this first on my Model 3 RWD with LFP so I thought it is because the battery is charged 100% but today saw it on my M3P as well when it was at 50%. I guess the battery wasn't conditioned to support regenerative breaking even at 50%.
Yes. It will show up if the battery is charged to 100% or if the battery is cold. And the battery may be "cold" even if the outside temperature does not seem cold.

Upvote 0
So no one has noticed the difference when blended breaking vs. regen breaking in icen or snow?

I've noticed this icon this morning as well.
Car is sits in a heated garage overnight, and is pre-heated every morning, so battery should have been fully warm. SOC was at ~70%.

I got the icon a few minutes after pulling out of the garage at 7am, with temps in mid 40s (we have a warm spell in NJ). I did NOT notice a meaningful degradation in breaking efficiency, and the car was decelerating at the usual rate in the usual spots.

I wonder if Tesla screwed up the code base, and the light is flashing more often then it should.
⁉️

a

Upvote 0
you will get this icon even while you are braking and you get to the dotted part of the line on the screen. its normal. you can go into settings and change how the car will handle the braking at this time of the icon being lit up. Its just an easier way of alerting you that regen is not 100% working condition at this time.

Upvote 0