TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

New Incoming Texts Sometimes Grab Wrong Message

Discussion in 'Model 3: User Interface' started by 640k, Dec 30, 2019.

1. 640k

640k Member

Not sure if this is related to my device, the new software, or something else, but occasionally when I receive a new text from a contact, it will grab a random text from anywhere else in the SMS app. There doesn't seem to be any rhyme or reason to it, and the vehicle will display the old/wrong message and sender.

Anyone else?

2. Stach

Stach Member

640k, more details would help (i.e. Tesla model and software version, type of phone and software version, etc...).

3. 640k

640k Member

M3 SR+ on rel.50.1 with Pixel 3XL/v10.... like i said, not sure if dependent on my set up, just curious if anyone else has seen this.

4. Stach

Stach Member

Same car and software here and my iPhone running 13.3 has no issues so far, but I've only seen a couple of text messages come through.

5. cjhudson101

cjhudson101 Member

I have a pixel 4xl with a SR+ M3. I am having the exact same issue.

I receive a text from my friend James, but I'll get the notification on the M3 that says I have a message from Melissa (or someone else that hasn't texted me in a while). The car will indeed read some seemingly random OLD message from that person. In addition, I won't even see the message from James in the list. Sometimes/usually I will see a message from James if he sends a second message.

I wonder if it has to do with the phone we're using or the sms app we use. I am using the google app "messages" for sms like most people on Android do...

• Helpful x 1
  6. lurnug

lurnug New Member

I know this thread is a little old but the same thing has been happening for me since the feature arrived, with my Pixel 4xl (up to date with Feb patch) and LR DM M3, and is still happening on 2020.4.1. I have not seen other complaints about this besides this all-Pixel thread. I will report it to Google just in case but would be great to hear from someone who this happens to on another model of phone - if any out there.

7. cjhudson101

cjhudson101 Member

I've considered changing my default texting app just to see if things change. Unforunately, I do not have a method to re-create the issue consistently. It's pretty random when it happens.

8. Need

Need Active Member

It is because you are using Android Messages app which had been upgraded to use RCS. And RCS does not play well with Tesla SMS reading...

9. 640k

640k Member

the RCS thing is a bit of a conundrum. on the one hand, it's supposed to bring all these great features, better reliability, better MMS, etc., etc. on the other, you've got weird compatibility issues like this. for the 80-90% of the time SMS works in the car, i haven't felt like i needed to disable it yet.

i have one friend on sprint that the car/OS always reads the header language. and if i have multiple texts arrive at once, the car/OS doesn't know which one to grab/gets lost.

10. Andy_STL

Andy_STL Member

I get random texts all the time with my Pixel 3. I use Textra as my app, but I assume that the RCS is still an issue.

11. megahead34

megahead34 Member

Same issue here on Pixel 4 XL

12. 640k

640k Member

so lots of anecdotes in there - has anyone confirmed that turning off RCS has in fact fixed this?

13. Treasure

Treasure Member

I was using Textra from a OnePlus 5 last week (which doesn't currently offer RCS) and was getting similar behavior. It doesn't seem to be every time, however.

14. Need

Need Active Member

Are they MMS (or group message)? I think Tesla does not read MMS/Group message either.

15. JamstationP85D

On latest iPhone/IOS the car will not respond back to group iMessages either. It will only send back to the last person who wrote a txt. I have so many iMessage group chats that this will not work for. I find myself just using the iPhone instead of the car with Siri to read and respond to iMessages. I have not seen it read the wrong txt though. Most of my txt’s are iMessages and not plain txt’s (blue bubbles and not green) so maybe thats the differentiator.

16. pug1

pug1 New Member

Same issue here. About 2 weeks ago it started happening suddenly in my Base M3. I'm using Textra on Android as well and I've since figured out that it grabs the first message sent to my phone from a random person and then subsequently grabs the second, third etc. However, the next time I drive, it seems to start all over again.

It is consistently doing this now.

17. Matsayz

Matsayz Active Member

This is happening in my wife's new Y. She has an S10 and uses Textra as well. The car will show notification of some random person from last year but it'll be the text I just sent her. Her Y is on 2020.20.12 and the S10 is updated along with the texting app. We're hoping the new software for the car does the trick but not holding out breath. What's odd is when she's driving my 3 there are no issues, the 3 is on 2020.20.6.4

18. Poxspi

Poxspi New Member

I'm having the same issue since the feature was added. I have a Pixel 3XL with Android 10 and 11, using Pulse SMS. No RCS. Model 3 with the latest software since the feature became available. I'm on 2020.48.12.1 as of this post. I have used the bug report process in the car several times when it happens.

19. Kyleresq

Kyleresq Member

I have a 2021 long range model 3 and an galaxy s10+ using stock sms. Picked it up 2 weeks ago and had 2 updates, neither of which fixed it.

20. 67King

67King Member

2019 M3P, have had the issue since the feature came out. I use Samsung's messages app on the Galaxy S9. Not very often, but often enough that I know if a random text comes through that doesn't make sense, I should check the phone before replying. Do not recall having seen it since the last update, but that was only a week ago or so. 2020.48.12.1