Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New Incoming Texts Sometimes Grab Wrong Message

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Not sure if this is related to my device, the new software, or something else, but occasionally when I receive a new text from a contact, it will grab a random text from anywhere else in the SMS app. There doesn't seem to be any rhyme or reason to it, and the vehicle will display the old/wrong message and sender.

Anyone else?

I have a pixel 4xl with a SR+ M3. I am having the exact same issue.

I receive a text from my friend James, but I'll get the notification on the M3 that says I have a message from Melissa (or someone else that hasn't texted me in a while). The car will indeed read some seemingly random OLD message from that person. In addition, I won't even see the message from James in the list. Sometimes/usually I will see a message from James if he sends a second message.

I wonder if it has to do with the phone we're using or the sms app we use. I am using the google app "messages" for sms like most people on Android do...

• Helpful
Reactions: sundman99 and meh_
I know this thread is a little old but the same thing has been happening for me since the feature arrived, with my Pixel 4xl (up to date with Feb patch) and LR DM M3, and is still happening on 2020.4.1. I have not seen other complaints about this besides this all-Pixel thread. I will report it to Google just in case but would be great to hear from someone who this happens to on another model of phone - if any out there.

the RCS thing is a bit of a conundrum. on the one hand, it's supposed to bring all these great features, better reliability, better MMS, etc., etc. on the other, you've got weird compatibility issues like this. for the 80-90% of the time SMS works in the car, i haven't felt like i needed to disable it yet.

i have one friend on sprint that the car/OS always reads the header language. and if i have multiple texts arrive at once, the car/OS doesn't know which one to grab/gets lost.

I have a pixel 4xl with a SR+ M3. I am having the exact same issue.

I receive a text from my friend James, but I'll get the notification on the M3 that says I have a message from Melissa (or someone else that hasn't texted me in a while). The car will indeed read some seemingly random OLD message from that person. In addition, I won't even see the message from James in the list. Sometimes/usually I will see a message from James if he sends a second message.

I wonder if it has to do with the phone we're using or the sms app we use. I am using the google app "messages" for sms like most people on Android do...

Same issue here on Pixel 4 XL

On latest iPhone/IOS the car will not respond back to group iMessages either. It will only send back to the last person who wrote a txt. I have so many iMessage group chats that this will not work for. I find myself just using the iPhone instead of the car with Siri to read and respond to iMessages. I have not seen it read the wrong txt though. Most of my txt’s are iMessages and not plain txt’s (blue bubbles and not green) so maybe thats the differentiator.

Same issue here. About 2 weeks ago it started happening suddenly in my Base M3. I'm using Textra on Android as well and I've since figured out that it grabs the first message sent to my phone from a random person and then subsequently grabs the second, third etc. However, the next time I drive, it seems to start all over again.

It is consistently doing this now.

Same issue here. About 2 weeks ago it started happening suddenly in my Base M3. I'm using Textra on Android as well and I've since figured out that it grabs the first message sent to my phone from a random person and then subsequently grabs the second, third etc. However, the next time I drive, it seems to start all over again.

It is consistently doing this now.

This is happening in my wife's new Y. She has an S10 and uses Textra as well. The car will show notification of some random person from last year but it'll be the text I just sent her. Her Y is on 2020.20.12 and the S10 is updated along with the texting app. We're hoping the new software for the car does the trick but not holding out breath. What's odd is when she's driving my 3 there are no issues, the 3 is on 2020.20.6.4

I'm having the same issue since the feature was added. I have a Pixel 3XL with Android 10 and 11, using Pulse SMS. No RCS. Model 3 with the latest software since the feature became available. I'm on 2020.48.12.1 as of this post. I have used the bug report process in the car several times when it happens.

2019 M3P, have had the issue since the feature came out. I use Samsung's messages app on the Galaxy S9. Not very often, but often enough that I know if a random text comes through that doesn't make sense, I should check the phone before replying. Do not recall having seen it since the last update, but that was only a week ago or so. 2020.48.12.1