Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New M3 Suspension noise question

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Our new M3 RWD tends to have low-level but annoying suspension noise around town - over sharp ridges or sharp drain cover dips etc. It's not some massive clunk or knock more a lower level 'pattering knock' sound - but given how quiet the car is the sound can be irritating.

I'd say its is mainly the front suspension but at times I think the rear does it. Both seem to do it particularly when the wheel drops in to sudden little holes or impacts on a ridge.

I'm not complaining about the firmness of the ride at all - but is the noise that goes with it familiar to other owners on here? Is it a trait of the car?

Cheers!

Our new M3 RWD tends to have low-level but annoying suspension noise around town - over sharp ridges or sharp drain cover dips etc. It's not some massive clunk or knock more a lower level 'pattering knock' sound - but given how quiet the car is the sound can be irritating.

I've noticed that our TM3P's suspension gets noisier in the winter, when ambient temps drop below 40F.
Every winter.

I'd say its is mainly the front suspension but at times I think the rear does it. Both seem to do it particularly when the wheel drops in to sudden little holes or impacts on a ridge.

There is also the regularly scheduled front control arm failure that strikes around 40K miles (+/- 10K).
Sounds like this:

I'm not complaining about the firmness of the ride at all - but is the noise that goes with it familiar to other owners on here? Is it a trait of the car?

Noises are hard to describe in words.
To help us diagnose your issues further, consider recording them, and sharing the link to the YouTube video.

HTH,
a

I've noticed that our TM3P's suspension gets noisier in the winter, when ambient temps drop below 40F.
Every winter.

There is also the regularly scheduled front control arm failure that strikes around 40K miles (+/- 10K).
Sounds like this:

Noises are hard to describe in words.
To help us diagnose your issues further, consider recording them, and sharing the link to the YouTube video.

HTH,
a
Many thanks for the reply - it's certainly fairly cool here just now (UK) - between 24 and 40 degrees F. Maybe that's a factor?

I'll see If I can record it but I suspect it wouldn't stand out well enough to be honest.

Thanks again,
Jeff.

@Grafix Like this?

Model Y Performance. Do you have a part number for you front shocks? Mine is 1188376-00-E
Hi - and thank you for this. My noise is very much less obvious than yours I'm afraid. It definitely sounds as if you have something loose or worn from your video though?

I've not really managed to capture the noise on video and as a new owner I'm wondering if it is just a bad trait of the M3.

It's really only when the fronts drop into rebound suddenly and it's a low-level sound but a definite little 'boom' which is irritating.

Nobody on the forum seems to mention it though (on a brand new car - rather than an older car with a worn part) so I'm still not really sure if my car has a problem or is typical?