Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 front suspension clunking

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I can confirm that change of front suspension dome bearings to KW dome bearings remove all knocking sounds. My car is now like any other car. NO annoying clunk or rattle while driving on bad roads.
Thank you! This is wonderful news, could you put the photo of the piece here and where to buy? If already written in other posts could you link? just to clarify..

I'm happy for you, let's hope we can resolve it

My car developed a front suspension clunk over bumps recently, along with the famous axle click.

Recently took it in for service and the service notes say that they retorqued the entire front suspension and performed an "axle lubrication procedure" on both front axles.

The original noises are gone however it also sounds like one of my rear axles is clicking, albeit much more quietly and less frequently than the fronts. I'm guessing I just couldn't hear the rear click over the front click since they happened at the same time. I'll take it in to get the rear axles lubed in a few months.

• Informative
Reactions: tm1v2
My car developed a front suspension clunk over bumps recently, along with the famous axle click.

Recently took it in for service and the service notes say that they retorqued the entire front suspension and performed an "axle lubrication procedure" on both front axles.

The original noises are gone however it also sounds like one of my rear axles is clicking, albeit much more quietly and less frequently than the fronts. I'm guessing I just couldn't hear the rear click over the front click since they happened at the same time. I'll take it in to get the rear axles lubed in a few months.
"axle lubrication procedure"
Interesting, does anyone have any extra documentation on how to do it?

Are KW dome bearings compatible with the existing stock suspension?
I got this reply from KW :
'' These KW top mounts are only suitable together with our KW coiloverkits. (V3 or levelling) .
You need to exchange the complete suspension.
And this is the option I recommend! The noises , the driving performance and the complete handling is not really good with the Tesla OE suspensions. You will have a new car with our suspension kit. If you don`t want to lower your car, there is the solution: KW V3 Leveling
''

'' These KW top mounts are only suitable together with our KW coiloverkits. (V3 or levelling) .
And this is the option I recommend! The noises , the driving performance and the complete handling is not really good with the Tesla OE suspensions. You will have a new car with our suspension kit. If you don`t want to lower your car, there is the solution: KW V3 Leveling
''
Perhaps you have quoted wrong item as there is version only for KW coilovers.

This is correct

Attachments

• Screenshot_20240127-191105_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20240127-191105_Chrome.jpg
    113.3 KB · Views: 22
''
This is not true, the original mount ist compatible with the KW suspension, so the KW mount ist compatible with the original suspension.

no my friend,
the response from the service was. "It's a problem known to Tesla, the solution is to change the wheel bearings, but if we replace the bearings now the problem will come back in 1000km, we have to wait for them to produce the new bearings."

I don't know more, this is their answer.

If I change the bearings to do a test with another component/brand, I don't know if the warranty is void or if I lose the warranty just for that part.

no my friend,
the response from the service was. "It's a problem known to Tesla, the solution is to change the wheel bearings, but if we replace the bearings now the problem will come back in 1000km, we have to wait for them to produce the new bearings."

I don't know more, this is their answer.

If I change the bearings to do a test with another component/brand, I don't know if the warranty is void or if I lose the warranty just for that part.
I think they are talking about a different noise. I don't know of a wheel bearing issue causing the sort of noise described in this thread.

2019 M3 dual. Had the front clunk noise, mostly at start/stop for about 6mo. Oddly, I thought was from rear area. Took to SC. Bilat front lateral links found torn. Both replaced and bilat half-shafts lubed ‘at the hub.’ $1029 total (parts $594, labor $135, $250 diagnosis fee, tax $46). All good now, like new-ish. Done in 1/2 day. Fair price for a non-DIY type person.

I think they are talking about a different noise. I don't know of a wheel bearing issue causing the sort of noise described in this thread.
I have a noise in the inside every time the road is rough you hear a "clunk" coming from the front. Like HonchoNI (even though my noise seems lower than a video he posted) I tried changing the connecting rods, but those aren't the problem.

At the moment service Italy talks about this bearing problem, I don't know how true it is and if it solves it, I would like to understand and solve the problem.

I have a 2018 tesla model 3 which started squeaking for the last few days.
Wondering if we can still drive with the car squeaking at lower speeds. I have taken a service appointment with Tesla, it is almost 2 weeks away. As I am out of warranty, Can I fix this myself?
I see that Tesla is charging $295 just for diagnosis, though it is very clear it is the control arm issue. Is it just applying grease or they have to replace those control arms?

I have a 2018 tesla model 3 which started squeaking for the last few days.
Wondering if we can still drive with the car squeaking at lower speeds. I have taken a service appointment with Tesla, it is almost 2 weeks away. As I am out of warranty, Can I fix this myself?
I see that Tesla is charging $295 just for diagnosis, though it is very clear it is the control arm issue. Is it just applying grease or they have to replace those control arms?
Driving should be fine, for months.

Are you handy? Its certainly possible to do at home. I haven't done it, but wouldn't hesitate.