Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New M3 vs New MS vs Used MS which one?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
You have to compare similar cars. 3 year old car will have an 85kwh battery, leather and autopilot for that price. Of course the newer car has AP2 hardware and air suspension.

for a new 2018 MS with a 75D with (p)leather plus color choice is only $78.8K + $1.2K dest - $7500 = $72.5K.
it would be very similar to an older 2015 as the 75D is similar (0-60 4.2 and 259 miles range) to a 2015 85 (0-60 low 4's, 265 miles range now lower because it's 3 yrs old). autopilot would be an extra true but i don't see a lot of those on used and now you get AWD.

so it really is pretty close apples to apples. major difference is new car vs old and whether 17.5K is worth 3 years and 30,000 miles. which i'm not sure it is.

You answered your own question. The Model S is not that much more than a M3-LR, relatively speaking, especially since cost is no object to you. The S is roomier, accelerates quicker, and has the advantage of free supercharging (if you buy new). That being said, supercharging is not that expensive and will probably never equal the price difference between a 3/S no matter how much you drive.

May I suggest you test drive a Model X as well. I bought my very first Tesla, a Model S, on a whim and because I always hated SUVs, never considered the X. I hate myself for that decision cuz after a week in a loaner X I'm getting ready to sell my car and buy an X. That being said, if you want a full loaded 75 RWD, PM me ;)

Reactions: IdaX
I had a Model 3 reservation but in Dec 2017 decided to get a new Model S 75 instead.

My main reasons for picking the S over the 3 were space and the two screens and the reason to get a new one va a cpo was I thought the price difference wasn’t worthy - although at that point I didn’t know that AP1 was better than AP2 ...

I have two kids with their respective huge car seats, I’m pretty sure that the Model 3 does fine wide wise but I think it would be too tight length wise for my toddler legs (she is not even 3 and her legs barely bend on the seat). Also, the cargo space is nice when you have to carry around at least one stroller, we went on a mini road trip recently with no space problems :)

About the screens, have the IC screen IMHO is really nice, I love having the turn by turn directions in there.

I love my Model S!

Reactions: Super Dude
We have both a 2016 S 60 (with AP1) and Model 3 we got delivered in January. I actually prefer the Model S. It's a lot more comfortable for commuting, the ride is softer, it's a lot quieter. The Model 3, with AP 2.x, is a lot better for autopilot. Loaner cars with AP 2.x are fantastic compared to our 2016 S, much smoother and better at keeping in the lane.

We got a deal on our S two years ago, $9,100 discount due to it being a showroom car. It was used in the mall in NJ but only had 18 miles on it when we picked it up. So the actual cost difference between our 3 and S was about $10,000, plus 1.49% interest rate on the S vs 3.X% on the 3.

The S has less range 208 miles vs 310 miles, but over several road trips before we got the 3, it has never been a problem. I'm actually looking at trading my S in to get the better performance, new MCU and autopilot. Just yesterday a sales person sent me a $16,500 showroom discount on a previous loaner 100D, plus it's still eligible for the federal $7,500 tax credit and any state credits you might be able to get. There are more discounts on the 100D since those are the ones used in the loaner fleet.

You have to compare similar cars. 3 year old car will have an 85kwh battery, leather and autopilot for that price. Of course the newer car has AP2 hardware and air suspension.

The power liftgate on the MS (now standard on the 75D, an option on our early 2017 with our PUP) is nice to have. We use our geofencing with our air suspension all the time. With the current MS you will also be getting the updated faster MCU2.

well in the end i just placed an order for a new Model S. I rented a model 3 for a day and didn't like it much. felt much more like a toy than a car. hope things go smoothly.

still have 3 days to change my mind. :D

Woohoo! Welcome to the family.

Now it comes the harder part, the wait :) I order an inventory car so I only waited for a week hehe. Let me know if you need a referral code for unlimited supercharging

Reactions: dethman
and of course after one day of having made the S reservation, my wife says we should get the 7 seater SUV instead for more utility. so after all the debate, i've lost my commuter and we are getting the X instead. we'll see how this goes.