Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New M3P Owner Questions and disappointment

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hello,

I'm very excited that I'm going to pick up my M3P this Saturday but Im not very happy with the news I'm reading about. I have added the Enhanced Autopilot because I really liked the summon feature and I just discovered it is not available on 2013 models due to no sonar sensors available in the car. I'm a little lost on what to do because I don't believe that tesla vision will ever be able to do this in the short period like they are saying.

Should I call tesla and remove the option from my build or wait?

Is anyone in the same situation?

Any tips are welcome but 6K for paperweight is not something I want to have.

Regards,

Cesar

Hello,

I'm very excited that I'm going to pick up my M3P this Saturday but Im not very happy with the news I'm reading about. I have added the Enhanced Autopilot because I really liked the summon feature and I just discovered it is not available on 2013 models due to no sonar sensors available in the car. I'm a little lost on what to do because I don't believe that tesla vision will ever be able to do this in the short period like they are saying.

Regards,

Cesar
I'd 100% remove it. Unless they can give you a written promise as to when the missing features will return. And chance of them doing that is about as likely as any of this happening anytime in the next ten years.

Reactions: mgs333
It’s possible the HW4 will be announced on Wednesday and newer Model 3s will have bumper cameras which conceivably could work as well as USS. Of course it could be a while before that happens. I agree that existing camera locations make performance parity unlikely.

I will

I'm calling the number and nobody answer
Thats common. Are you close by? Chances are you will need to go in person. Another option is to go to the Tesla website, and start browsing the car section (sales). Within a min or two, a chat window pops up with an agent looking to sell you a car. Some have had success using that person to get some level of customer service

Thats common. Are you close by? Chances are you will need to go in person. Another option is to go to the Tesla website, and start browsing the car section (sales). Within a min or two, a chat window pops up with an agent looking to sell you a car. Some have had success using that person to get some level of customer service
Yes Im about 20 miles away. I will wait for tomorrow's announcement and hope he mentions something good.

Interesting that only the anti-FSD folks have replied so far on this forum. Take a look at other posts from these folks and you'll see that they all tend to believe that FSD does not work, even though it's been used for 90 million miles of happy drivers.

Enhanced Autopilot​

$6,000

1. Navigate on Autopilot
  2. Auto Lane Change
  3. Autopark
  4. Summon
  5. Smart Summon
Navigate on AutoPilot and Auto Lane Change are extremely reliable and useful features. They change driving. I tend to trust auto lane change more than I trust myself. (I still verify though, at least most of the time...)

While you indicated a big desire in summons, while some people use it, there doesn't seem to be a huge use of it. It's more of a "see what my car can do thing) And I'm not sure how many people in any car that advertises uses AutoPark.

Reactions: gtg465x
Interesting that only the anti-FSD folks have replied so far on this forum. Take a look at other posts from these folks and you'll see that they all tend to believe that FSD does not work, even though it's been used for 90 million miles of happy drivers.

Navigate on AutoPilot and Auto Lane Change are extremely reliable and useful features. They change driving. I tend to trust auto lane change more than I trust myself. (I still verify though, at least most of the time...)

While you indicated a big desire in summons, while some people use it, there doesn't seem to be a huge use of it. It's more of a "see what my car can do thing) And I'm not sure how many people in any car that advertises uses AutoPark.
Agree NOAP makes EAP worth it. They will eventually enable the functions for summon and auto park. If they didn't one might have ground to request a refund.

Auto park is extremely slow the times I have used it so I don't bother. Summon is kind of gimmicky if you ask me. It's helpful to get the car in/out of tight spaces but that's about it.

Once you use NOAP for a while you won't be able to go without it. Take 99% of the stress out of highway driving for me.

Reactions: dansev and gtg465x
Hello,

Regards,

Cesar
Well, honestly, "Summon" is pretty much a party trick at this point, even with cars equipped with ultrasonic sensors. As Karpathy himself said, "It's magic...when it works." My personal experience with Summon has been about a 20-30% success rate, where "success" is defined as "car didn't randomly stop at a weird angle blocking multiple traffic lanes in a parking lot forcing me to run to it and jump in so other cars could get by."

NoA (Navigate on Autopilot), on the other hand, works very well indeed, and really transforms highway driving. It's not perfect, but the code base, while old, is very refined and it's extremely useful.

So: if you're going to road-trip or have significant highway travel in your day to day driving, I'd say go for it. If you're specifically looking for Summon functionality, I wouldn't pay for it even if your car came with the required sensors.

I don't believe that tesla vision will ever be able to do this in the short period like they are saying
If you're good with paying the Enhanced Autopilot cost via credit card when Tesla Vision summon works without ultrasonics, then it might actually be better if you can get credit card points/rewards. Although there's some risk of the price going up, but at least you'll know Summon will be available.

Auto summons and auto park features are parlor tricks, at best. "Auto park" doesn't exist yet, and auto summons simply doesn't work a big percentage of the time - leaving you to have to run out and rescue your car from some embarassing situation it's gotten itself stuck in, blocking traffic and making you look like a fool. In other words, don't buy the car or the feature in anticipation these will be great things.

Reactions: dramsey and sjg98
Auto summons and auto park features are parlor tricks, at best. "Auto park" doesn't exist yet, and auto summons simply doesn't work a big percentage of the time - leaving you to have to run out and rescue your car from some embarassing situation it's gotten itself stuck in, blocking traffic and making you look like a fool. In other words, don't buy the car or the feature in anticipation these will be great things.
I hear multiple people saying this but it is a selling point for the car like some other features not available in other brands

I paid for FSD on my previous MS and even got the beta FSD software, but it is not worth it. I just ordered a new MS and have no plans of paying for EAP or FSD... At least not at it's current state. I'll wait a little longer and just subscribe if it becomes more usable.

Basic Autopilot is great enough as it is and comes free with the car :)

Yesterday I pickup my car at Tesla Austin and drove back to Houston using EAP and it is amazing. The best drive experience ever.

20230305_161831.jpg

Reactions: ewoodrick and Dewg