Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

NEW Model 3 Highland review!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have 2 sets.

Winter - Michelin Pilot Alpine tires

Summer - Hankook Ion Evo tires
What do you do during the time it is cold, but mostly non-snow or occasional light snow? That would be the time when summer tires work poorly (because it is cold) or are dangerous (in an unexpected snow), but winter tires work poorly (since it is mostly non-snow).

Reactions: zoomer0056
What do you do during the time it is cold, but mostly non-snow or occasional light snow? That would be the time when summer tires work poorly (because it is cold) or are dangerous (in an unexpected snow), but winter tires work poorly (since it is mostly non-snow).

Winter Tires after Halloween. They work just fine.

Summer tires go back on March 1st.

Been doing it for 5 years now.

Most companies share lots of parts between car models, so it would not be surprising if some parts (whether obvious ones or hidden ones) were the same across various models. Having fewer different parts means less supply chain and inventory work to deal with.

It does seem odd that they did not unify the Model 3 and Y head and tail lamps earlier, since they are all physically interchangeable. As it is, there are different variants that require software settings if changed.
I was thinking the new M3 headlights might have been designed specifically so that they can be reused in the Roadster, since the Roadster will be very limited volume, hence designing its own headlights (and keeping spare parts for them) would be very expensive.

• Informative
Reactions: gtgarner
Winter tires work great in cold dry or wet. As a matter of fact, in my case they have better grip in wet+cold than all-seasons in wet+warm - that one actually surprised me, but then I went onto review/test sites and it confirmed my subjective feel when I switched from winters to all seasons last spring. Will try to get better all-seasons when the current set wears out.

I wonder why purple isn't a factory color.

pp.jpg

Last edited:
Four and a half years of chasing rattles, diy sound deadening and trying to get decent ride quality out of my car with three separate iterations of aftermarket suspension. Approaching 90k miles, it has been dead nuts reliable, but nearly intolerable for NVH and ride quality--just feels like a cheap shartbox. I convinced myself that my next car would be a different make. But if the NVH/ride improvements on the 2024 pan out as advertised, I'd be willing to give Tesla another shot.

They aimed the improvements precisely at my pain points :D

I don't see any difference here:
New-Front-Steering-Knuckles.jpg
New forged uca and possibly larger ball joint is a clearly visible difference in your photo.

Below is the current 3 washer fill location and at the bottom is Highland with that area empty, washer fill relocated.
Whether that has to do with new strut towers or clearance for slightly different geometry or unrelated, is unknown and what I was speaking to.
Screen Shot 2023-11-02 at 3.46.30 PM.png

Screen Shot 2023-11-02 at 3.47.02 PM.png

Four and a half years of chasing rattles, diy sound deadening and trying to get decent ride quality out of my car with three separate iterations of aftermarket suspension. Approaching 90k miles, it has been dead nuts reliable, but nearly intolerable for NVH and ride quality--just feels like a cheap shartbox. I convinced myself that my next car would be a different make. But if the NVH/ride improvements on the 2024 pan out as advertised, I'd be willing to give Tesla another shot.

They aimed the improvements precisely at my pain points :D
Do you ride on 18" or 19" wheels? I do have the 18" on my 2022 M3LR and I am pretty happy with the ride quality, not too stiff and not too soft.

Reactions: dusty22
I know that we're all excited to have a completely new Model 3, but automakers don't make minor chassis changes. They either update the plastic bumper cover, or they completely redesign the entire car 100% from scratch. Highland has an updated ball joint and slightly different shock tuning - that's all.

The original cowl cover design was a miserable failure by every possible metric. They had a summer intern try to improve it for the Model Y but the result wasn't much better. Now with Highland, they're trying again by making it span from fender to fender and changing the snap features. Along the way they moved the washer tank to a more convenient location, that's all. Maybe this makes room for some different wire or hose routing, but it has nothing to do with the chassis.

Reactions: m73b54
New forged uca and possibly larger ball joint is a clearly visible difference in your photo.

Below is the current 3 washer fill location and at the bottom is Highland with that area empty, washer fill relocated.
Whether that has to do with new strut towers or clearance for slightly different geometry or unrelated, is unknown and what I was speaking to.
View attachment 987417
View attachment 987418
I'm 100% sure it has nothing to do with the body structure and suspension design.

I know that we're all excited to have a completely new Model 3, but automakers don't make minor chassis changes. They either update the plastic bumper cover, or they completely redesign the entire car 100% from scratch. Highland has an updated ball joint and slightly different shock tuning - that's all.

The original cowl cover design was a miserable failure by every possible metric. They had a summer intern try to improve it for the Model Y but the result wasn't much better. Now with Highland, they're trying again by making it span from fender to fender and changing the snap features. Along the way they moved the washer tank to a more convenient location, that's all. Maybe this makes room for some different wire or hose routing, but it has nothing to do with the chassis.
Automakers make minor changes all the time.
They change suspension parts all the time.
There are many times where two parts that look the same will not fit different model years, especially a refreshed model.

The Highland has a
all new uca's,
larger upper ball joint,
new steering knuckle,
softer bushings
new freq dependent dampners
new front suspension geometry
new brake rotors and couplings
rear suspension "overhaul" - whatever that means
rear sub frame changes including softer bushings
new steering rack

This is just what Tesla marketing and third party tear downs have shown.