Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New model 3 LR, grinding sound during turns, SC says ok?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi all,
I'm a new owner with a brand new Model 3. After being excited about getting it, I've had a nightmare new owner experience. On my drive home, the MCU restarted twice; mobile tech replaced the screen. Roof glass will be replaced in 3 weeks due to bad install. Lots of body issues (most corrected now, two gaps remaining). The last issue that I have is a problem with is something that the service center says is ok, but I'm not sure it's right.

During a moderate turn, with the car decelerating (hold mode in this case) from about 20 mph, the vehicle makes a loud grinding sound.

Tech came with me and confirmed the issue. Engineering said the car would break-in, and sound would disappear over time.

Could someone with a newish model 3 see if they have this sound?

I have a new-ish Model 3 (2022 VIN) and I can't say that I've heard mine do that, but it would probably be considered "broken in" by now since I picked it up in late November. I can't recall anything out of the norm when I first got it either, but here in FL the roads are flat and straight for the most part, so I probably didn't even decelerate on a curve much.

Nothing should make noise at 20mph or when turning, but if you mean 5mph and not turning, perhaps it's just regular brake noise. Does it make the same noise when you manually apply the brakes?

Also the roof glass doesn't ever line up with the windshield or rear window along the passenger side, it's just made wrong and how they all are. Is that your glass issue or something else?

Hi, all thanks for the messages, the noise is most pronounced at about 20mph, but still very pronounced 5-10mph. I'll try to get a video to show it. As far as the glass the seal didn't look right and the service center confirmed it needs to be replaced.

After about 40% turning it’s about the same sound, maybe a little worse. Here is what tesla said (note the original write up expanded to both turning directions). Really sucky experience so far.
92F5FD01-326F-4752-9F59-5AE03193E7E7.jpeg

This "normal within spec" comment from the dealer is garbage. If your car is normal, ask them if the new cars that don't have this noise are then defective? Both cars can't be normal within spec if one has noise and the other doesn't.

If it is normal, ask them to explain what part is making that noise.

Reactions: Alkor