Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New Model 3 Owner - I Have Questions

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
A couple of times I have stayed at holiday homes and charged overnight from a standard GPO. I use a heavy-duty 10m industrial extension lead to connect from the GPO to the UMC tail, and then hope that I can park the car close enough to the house that the UMC can be kept inside and the cable to the car run out a window or under a door.

I would not like to leave the UMC outside for the reason you state.
Is it possible to sit the UMC inside the Tesla boot, and have the extension lead and UMC lead, fit under the boot lid without bending anything, so waterproof?
Is there a waterproof cover available for the UMC, like this one for an extension lead? https://www.bunnings.com.au/arlec-ip44-outdoor-safety-box_p0191742

Is it possible to sit the UMC inside the Tesla boot, and have the extension lead and UMC lead, fit under the boot lid without bending anything, so waterproof?
I doubt it - the boot closes pretty snugly (the panel gaps aren’t that big 🤣), and the UMC charge cord is thicker than an extension lead. I would not want to try it.

Is there a waterproof cover available for the UMC, like this one for an extension lead? https://www.bunnings.com.au/arlec-ip44-outdoor-safety-box_p0191742
I’ve not seen a UMC-specific weatherproof cover but I would not be surprised if someone has made one.

Otherwise just upend a large empty ice-cream container or similar and place it over. You could cut notches out for the cable exits, and put the UMC on something raised so that it doesn’t get wet from underneath.

Reactions: David Sowden
I doubt it - the boot closes pretty snugly (the panel gaps aren’t that big 🤣), and the UMC charge cord is thicker than an extension lead. I would not want to try it.

I’ve not seen a UMC-specific weatherproof cover but I would not be surprised if someone has made one.

Otherwise just upend a large empty ice-cream container or similar and place it over. You could cut notches out for the cable exits, and put the UMC on something raised so that it doesn’t get wet from underneath.

Or wrap a plastic bag around it, I've done that a few times without issue.

Reactions: David Sowden