Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New Model 3 vs Used 2016 Model X vs New Model X

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hello,

This is probably been discussed before but I am again trying to get some inputs. I am a Model 3 reservation holder who did not order yet as my Volt lease was yet to expire and I didn't have the need for a car right away. My Volt lease is coming to an end in October so I started looking at Tesla Model 3. At the price point and features Model 3 is tempting. It will be our second car and perhaps the right one to replace the Volt. However, it appears that it is becoming all too common and soon the novelty will wear off. Also with the # of 3s in market soon the market will be flooded and the price drop significantly?

I have always wanted a Model X so started looking at Used market and actually found on Tesla site a 2016 MX with 34K miles, Red with AP 2.0 Beige/Cream interior, 6 seats and 20" and other options and has AP and FSD. It was priced at $65K which I thought was a great price for the MX with the right color and with FSD. I am thinking with FSD it might be eligible for HW 3.0 upgrade as promised by Elon.

However, since this is going to be purchased as my Sole Proprietorship, I am also looking at the advantages of section 179 I will have and wonder if a Used MX vs waiting for a Inventory MX makes sense especially one that will have all the latest upgrades.

The two cars are vastly different. Do you need a sedan or a crossover? Performance model 3, which is outstanding, is less than 60k pre fsd.

I’m sure quarter’s end will have a bunch of good deals. You should look to contacting an inside sales advisor as they have way more insight into what’s available prior to even showing up on the site. What you see on the site is what is left over from their inability to sell what is in stock.

Reactions: gangzoom
I have both. The 3 is much more fun to drive, but the x is way more comfortable. If your going to hall people around, x is way better. I would buy a new x long range.
I replace my iPhone every 4 years and always buy newest, even though 2 year old one would work fine.

I have both and the Model 3 is a great secondary car for our family of 5. I'd go with the newest and greatest Model X (Raven) but that's just me. The X will have a (much) greater depreciation than the 3.

Hello,

This is probably been discussed before but I am again trying to get some inputs. I am a Model 3 reservation holder who did not order yet as my Volt lease was yet to expire and I didn't have the need for a car right away. My Volt lease is coming to an end in October so I started looking at Tesla Model 3. At the price point and features Model 3 is tempting. It will be our second car and perhaps the right one to replace the Volt. However, it appears that it is becoming all too common and soon the novelty will wear off. Also with the # of 3s in market soon the market will be flooded and the price drop significantly?

I have always wanted a Model X so started looking at Used market and actually found on Tesla site a 2016 MX with 34K miles, Red with AP 2.0 Beige/Cream interior, 6 seats and 20" and other options and has AP and FSD. It was priced at $65K which I thought was a great price for the MX with the right color and with FSD. I am thinking with FSD it might be eligible for HW 3.0 upgrade as promised by Elon.

However, since this is going to be purchased as my Sole Proprietorship, I am also looking at the advantages of section 179 I will have and wonder if a Used MX vs waiting for a Inventory MX makes sense especially one that will have all the latest upgrades.
The Model 3 might not be as practical as the Model X, however, unless you really need a larger car with 6 or 7 seats,
the Model 3 is certainly more nimble than the Model X.

The Model 3 is also more efficient and has a more modern cells batteries than the Model X.

Unless of getting a new Tesla in October, I would also wait until 2020.
Tesla don't follow year's model to make changes, however the VIN indicates the year with a different letter.

If you can, I would extend the Volt lease until the Model Y will be available, and make a reservation for it.

The Model Y will certainly be the best of both worlds!

Last edited:
Did you already put a down payment on it? I am in the market for that exact car (color and all) here in SoCal, ours got T-Boned last friday (wife and two toddlers walked away fine, thanks tesla!), but we are trying to find a replacement since its most likely a total loss. If you decide to pass on it I'd love the details as we are hoping move fast. Feel free to PM me. Thanks!

Either way the 179 tax provision could make the price of a new car quite attractive.

We thought about doing it, but ended up leasing and make the business use portion of the lease payment an operational expense

Section 179 is valid on used vehicles too correct? Tesla leases aren't great. While obviously the advantage not just not have to worry and take the business offset is nice but the 100% depreciation is also not a bad way to go!

I like the Model X with business tax break, which I hear is very generous. Not my favorite for around town because of its size. Great for trips and hauling people and stuff.
That used Model X seems really cheap though I haven't been looking at prices.
The Model 3 is a popular new car. It should continue to be desirable as a used car, and the entry-level priced Tesla. Good for many more miles. I think the used prices should at least be in line with other cars. If you like to stand out, customize it. This is our around the city car.

Two totally different cars, we have a X and my wife a Lexus IS saloon which we'll replace with a 3.

The X is an awesome family wagon if you need the space, especially the 6 seater version with central row free. We've have gone out to the park to have a picnic than found it was either too hot or cold outside and ended up having it in the car!!! Every other weekend we also end up with a fully loaded car with grandparents coming on road trips, its fab fot the whole family to go somewhere for lunch without taking 2 cars.

The X is also a fab cargo huller, I've moved sofas, cleared out the garage, all with no issues.

Its also amazing how quickly you get use to powered doors, and if you have kids the rear doors on the X are simply amazing. The massive windscreen giving you so much space and the HEPA filter.

The payback for all the utility is far less efficiency but that only matters on really long trips.

As a result our X is by far the perfered choice for family weekend trips, nursery runs etc. Its our main family car, the 3 is a fine car but for us it'll cannot compete with the X.

One of the reasons why we haven't got one yet is because I cannot see us using it any more than our Lexus Saloon, which is purely used for doing a 20 mile daily commute.

Whilst the 3 is cheaper than a X, its actually hard justifying spending $40k+ on a 20 mile commuter car when we already have a perfectly working one. The X on the otherhand has done 26k in less than 2 years, though its more expensive we are using it so much the extra cost is much easier to stomach, and with an unlimited miles 8 year warranty the X will remain the family work horse.

If you will use the utility of the X choosing it over the 3 is a no brainer, but if you don't have kids or rarely carry people in the back of the car get the 3.

For me, the Section 179 bonus made my Model X the least expensive of all the Tesla. Your circumstances might be different, but it made my net cost around $35K.

It only works for new cars, and is fully deductable in the year it is put in to service. If you get delivery before December 31st. you can deduct the entire year. The more you use it for work, the higher the % you can claim. Used to be called the SUV loophole, as your vehicle needs to be rated at over 6,000 GVW and listed on the official eligible post. The Model X has this listing.

It is the most versitile of all the Tesla. Fits up to 7, can tow 5,000 lbs with the right tires. It is an amazing road car, holds a ton and certainly makes a statement.

You will need to talk to your accountant, or do some figuring yourself to see how it would benefit your individual tax circumstance, but for most people owning a profitable company it is a pretty sweet deal.

For me, the Section 179 bonus made my Model X the least expensive of all the Tesla. Your circumstances might be different, but it made my net cost around $35K.

It only works for new cars, and is fully deductable in the year it is put in to service. If you get delivery before December 31st. you can deduct the entire year. The more you use it for work, the higher the % you can claim. Used to be called the SUV loophole, as your vehicle needs to be rated at over 6,000 GVW and listed on the official eligible post. The Model X has this listing.

It is the most versitile of all the Tesla. Fits up to 7, can tow 5,000 lbs with the right tires. It is an amazing road car, holds a ton and certainly makes a statement.

You will need to talk to your accountant, or do some figuring yourself to see how it would benefit your individual tax circumstance, but for most people owning a profitable company it is a pretty sweet deal.

Are you sure it's only on new? I thought with the recent changes used qualified too. All of the above points are well taken and that's why I am leaning towards the X

Two totally different cars, we have a X and my wife a Lexus IS saloon which we'll replace with a 3.

The X is an awesome family wagon if you need the space, especially the 6 seater version with central row free. We've have gone out to the park to have a picnic than found it was either too hot or cold outside and ended up having it in the car!!! Every other weekend we also end up with a fully loaded car with grandparents coming on road trips, its fab fot the whole family to go somewhere for lunch without taking 2 cars.

The X is also a fab cargo huller, I've moved sofas, cleared out the garage, all with no issues.

Its also amazing how quickly you get use to powered doors, and if you have kids the rear doors on the X are simply amazing. The massive windscreen giving you so much space and the HEPA filter.

The payback for all the utility is far less efficiency but that only matters on really long trips.

As a result our X is by far the perfered choice for family weekend trips, nursery runs etc. Its our main family car, the 3 is a fine car but for us it'll cannot compete with the X.

One of the reasons why we haven't got one yet is because I cannot see us using it any more than our Lexus Saloon, which is purely used for doing a 20 mile daily commute.

Whilst the 3 is cheaper than a X, its actually hard justifying spending $40k+ on a 20 mile commuter car when we already have a perfectly working one. The X on the otherhand has done 26k in less than 2 years, though its more expensive we are using it so much the extra cost is much easier to stomach, and with an unlimited miles 8 year warranty the X will remain the family work horse.

If you will use the utility of the X choosing it over the 3 is a no brainer, but if you don't have kids or rarely carry people in the back of the car get the 3.

Exactly my situation! We have a minivan now but it's a gas guzzler. Thinking the X can replace it and once I am sure perhaps can sell the minivan. On the other hand may be keep the minivan and get the 3 for local stuff but like you said it's hard to justify that. Also with section 179 benefits seems logical choice to go with X!

I took my deduction in 2017. At that time only new was eligible.

It may have changed recently.

Since the larger the price, the larger the deduction, there was not much value for me to buy used. I wanted the latest and greatest version with 2.0 for better auto pilot capability.

As long as this is available, I will be well served buying a new X every 2 years or so, as the deduction is far greater than the depreciation.