Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New Model 3/Y Rear Entertainment & Climate Control Screen

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
i found out from a tesla tech unrelated but if you go to software and press on the display where it says model 3 it can put the car into service mode use password "service" I wonder if that would help buy time in connecting/disconnecting the cable

No not really. Once unplugged no service mode will help you. If it is unplugged to long you will have to make a deep restart or in worst case reset the car.
Mine went OK i believe, no errors this far.

Have you done it yet? :)

No not really. Once unplugged no service mode will help you. If it is unplugged to long you will have to make a deep restart or in worst case reset the car.
Mine went OK i believe, no errors this far.

Have you done it yet? :)
ok thought i would ask, no have not done it yet, already fed the cable from the rear vent to the front, i was trying to find the plug that i need to unplug, but there is not much space to access it, so will attempt soon

ok thought i would ask, no have not done it yet, already fed the cable from the rear vent to the front, i was trying to find the plug that i need to unplug, but there is not much space to access it, so will attempt soon
Yeah I did it the other way around, thinking that there was no reason routing the cable if I didnt manage connecting it to the computer lol.

Yes but be warned: The rear connection is much easier but that connection is known for issues after certain updates from Tesla. So all of a sudden the controls to the car may stop working (it will always have power though).

The front connection to the computer has this far never been affected by an update from Tesla.

So buy the smaller screen at your own risk.
What are the known issues? ie., what accessories stopped working after an update?

What are the known issues? ie., what accessories stopped working after an update?
Well the controls themselves from the new rear screen, so all of a sudden the climate control won't work or the heated rear seats (that's the point of the rear screen). You will always be able to power the device but the controls might not respond any longer. Then you might need an update to the screen and getting that from the developer of the screen in China might be near impossible.

Also, Hansshow support is some of the worst I've seen.

Well the controls themselves from the new rear screen, so all of a sudden the climate control won't work or the heated rear seats (that's the point of the rear screen). You will always be able to power the device but the controls might not respond any longer. Then you might need an update to the screen and getting that from the developer of the screen in China might be near impossible.

They have a ton of Sales reps that push for the buy (obviously) and are literally lost or ghosts post sales. But when you do get hold of a tech/engineer, they are quite good/helpful. Helps if you try to reach them Beijing local time. :)

They have a ton of Sales reps that push for the buy (obviously) and are literally lost or ghosts post sales. But when you do get hold of a tech/engineer, they are quite good/helpful. Helps if you try to reach them Beijing local time. :)
Exactly. The reps are gone as soon as you buy the product and use their code. It is impossible to find the manufacturer of the screen since they wont give out that info to me.

From now on I will only buy from PimpMyEv. Their support is great.

Hansshow is like asian Ali Express sellers but with a lot of paid Youtubers selling their products for them.
Once they have your money you will never see them again.

Sorry, I was probably unclear. You mentioned the "rear connection is known for issues" vs the front. Has this been an issue already with that small rear screen or were there other specific devices hooked up to the rear CANBUS that have caused problems?

100% agree about the horrible service. Too many people get drawn in by the low prices and thinking all the infomercials on youtube are actually reviews. These ads are always quick to point out the pros but never any true cons.

Last edited:
Sorry, I was probably unclear. You mentioned the "rear connection is known for issues" vs the front. Has this been an issue already with that small rear screen or were there other specific devices hooked up to the rear CANBUS that have caused problems?

100% agree about the horrible service. Too many people get drawn in by the low prices and thinking all the infomercials on youtube are actually reviews. These ads are always quick to point out the pros but never any true cons.
Sorry could have been more clear :).

The connection itself in the car is known to change how it communicates after certain updates from Tesla. So some people suddenly can't get their mods to work unless the creators of that screen updates their firmware to adapt to the new way the software works.

So it's not specific to this screen.

Yeah I've come to realize that all those Tesla Youtubers are paid actors more or less. I will do my best to spread the word in their comments on Youtube.

Sorry could have been more clear :).

The connection itself in the car is known to change how it communicates after certain updates from Tesla. So some people suddenly can't get their mods to work unless the creators of that screen updates their firmware to adapt to the new way the software works.

So it's not specific to this screen.

Yeah I've come to realize that all those Tesla Youtubers are paid actors more or less. I will do my best to spread the word in their comments on Youtube.
To date the only compatibility issue I am aware of was a Tesla update to the functionality of power trunk kits. AFAIK, EVOffer quickly released firmware for their trunk kit that resolved it whereas Hansshow is much slower at releasing firmware updates if ever. I'm not sure this is specifically an issue related to the fact the CANBUS signal was pulled from the rear vs the front. It is possible but guessing if these trunk kits were pulling CANBUS info from the front, it wouldn't make a difference and the problems would still persist. I think both companies making the trunk kits choose the rear CANBUS location for ease of access.

Are you aware of any other aftermarket add-ons requiring rear CANBUS tap (other than the power trunk kits) that are problematic from Tesla updates?

Yeah I did it the other way around, thinking that there was no reason routing the cable if I didnt manage connecting it to the computer lol
update..i got it done, but had to remove the glove box air bag, I also disconnected 12v and main power it was very tight to remove the connector but was able to get it done, now working fine with no errors. thanks for your advice and help

update..i got it done, but had to remove the glove box air bag, I also disconnected 12v and main power it was very tight to remove the connector but was able to get it done, now working fine with no errors. thanks for your advice and help
Do you have a MY or M3?

I am sorry to say this but it looks like this screen is causing major issues on the car.

My model Y gets an error during install of new software update. It got an error after 30 percent. Called Tesla they said "it looks fine no visible faults with your car but the installation failed due to something with your auto pilot computer."

My autopilot works great and no errors in the car. But it refuses to update.

Just spoke to another user that installed the same screen. He has the same issue. In worst case we may have damaged the autopilot computer and it might cost us up to 8000 dollars to repair plus voided warranty.

I'm in panic mode right now.

Do you have a MY or M3?

I am sorry to say this but it looks like this screen is causing major issues on the car.

My model Y gets an error during install of new software update. It got an error after 30 percent. Called Tesla they said "it looks fine no visible faults with your car but the installation failed due to something with your auto pilot computer."

Just spoke to another user that installed the same screen. He has the same issue. In worst case we may have damaged the autopilot computer and it might cost us up to 8000 dollars to repair plus voided warranty.

i just installed it yesterday. did not do any updates, did you contact hansshow?

i just installed it yesterday. did not do any updates, did you contact hansshow?

Do you have a MY or M3?

i have a M3

Do you have a MY or M3?

just a thought what if you disconnect the hansshow control box and try updating again?

just a thought what if you disconnect the hansshow control box and try updating again?
Do you have a MY or M3?

I contacted one of the tesla mechanics that helps me if I have any issues, he is asking for a video of the error of what is happening when the tesla software stops installing after 30% I will get it to him and hopefully he can help.

I contacted one of the tesla mechanics that helps me if I have any issues, he is asking for a video of the error of what is happening when the tesla software stops installing after 30% I will get it to him and hopefully he can help.

Thanks! There are no issues at all more than that the latest update failed at 30 %. Got an error saying it failed and that it will try again when the update is sent to me.

Scary part is that Tesla said over phone that "it couldn't install due to something with the Autopilot". But i have no issues in the car. Tried to do a hard reboot (I might have been unplugged more than 5 minutes who knows). If that is the case they say to do a deep reboot to clear any errors or issues. Hopefully that helps.

I am also thinking about disconnecting the protocol box. Is there any risk of something being fried in the car if I disconnect it? Is that box purely for communicating data for seat heating and rear climate control? I can live without those features I mainly use is as an ipad for my kids who love it this far.

A friend said that Tesla can see if we have disconnected anything and if something fails they will show no mercy when it comes to warranty repairs.

Oh don't get me started on Hansshow. They are, by far, the WORST company I have ever had to deal with when it comes to service. I asked them and they sent me a manual. The manual was in Chinese and for a different product. Also, they said "Sir why you dont read manual you connect wrong plug you should connect to blue plug at footwell". So they don't even know what they are selling.

While we're at it DO NOT insert a Micro SD card to the slot behind the screen it will get stuck. I had to disassemble my screen to get it out. The USB C port does not come up either if you connect something to it to transfer files. Hansshow said that those ports are only for firmware upgrades, I don't believe that.

Finally, all the "main" Youtubers talking about their products are more or less paid actors. They will offer zero help even if they say "send me your questions.

First and last time I will ever buy anything from Hansshow.

Reactions: buckets0fun
Thanks! There are no issues at all more than that the latest update failed at 30 %. Got an error saying it failed and that it will try again when the update is sent to me.

Scary part is that Tesla said over phone that "it couldn't install due to something with the Autopilot". But i have no issues in the car. Tried to do a hard reboot (I might have been unplugged more than 5 minutes who knows). If that is the case they say to do a deep reboot to clear any errors or issues. Hopefully that helps.

I am also thinking about disconnecting the protocol box. Is there any risk of something being fried in the car if I disconnect it? Is that box purely for communicating data for seat heating and rear climate control? I can live without those features I mainly use is as an ipad for my kids who love it this far.

A friend said that Tesla can see if we have disconnected anything and if something fails they will show no mercy when it comes to warranty repairs.
let me know how it goes, from when i explained the setup to tesla he believes the controller is for communicating to the display for car climate controls. which he thinks is interfering.