Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New Model x blacked out at a red light

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Last night I stopped at a red light and then the car just completely died and blacked out the entire console. I tried to reboot the car and it didn’t work. I waited for awhile until I rebooted it again. This time it worked so I ended up driving home.

I asked the Tesla delivery team about what happened and they told me to call roadside assistance. Because of this incident, it makes me nervous to drive this car alone or with my family. I don’t want to end up stranded somewhere if this were to happen again. I did some research and googled about the similar experience I had and it seems like I’m not the only one who had this same problem with the model x upon delivery.

Also, I noticed last night that the car heater is not getting very hot. The driver side of the vents makes noises and the heat doesn’t get hot on that side as well.

Hope to get this fix ASAP. Waiting from service center ....

• Informative
Reactions: 1 person
The same thing happened to me. Was driving and suddenly the center console backed out. Moments later, the screen with the speedometer blacked out as well. I was still able to drive but pulled over just in case. The system rebooted itself and I was able to drive home.

Please keep us posted on what the service center says.

I hope tesla is able to figure it out. Did you send a bug report at the time after the incident?

Use voice commands to provide feedback to Tesla. Say "Note", "Report", "Bug note", or "Bug report" followed by your brief comments

May seem silly but take a picture ... even if of a black screen. Why? Because now your phones picture has the meta data of the GPS location AND more importantly the exact date and time. Tesla often wants the time so they can go to the logs easier.

The center and instrument display is completely separate from the drivetrain of the car. So the car will drive but you won't know how fast you're going or where if you're the kind of person who uses nav to even get home. Kinda sucks.

The screen blacking out happens, mostly with the release of new firmware. I had it hang on me for 12 hours once, told me I was doing 36 in a 25 zone while I was parked.

I just sigh when stuff like this happens now. Then I glide past a loud HEMI Challenger like he was standing still and life is good again.

I’ve had problems with the screens blacking out and the X completely stops. There has always been error messages or a ‘powering off’ message (in the middle of driving) that displayed first though. The fixes varied from loose connections, steering column replacement, and forced firmware update at the service center (when the problem could not be recreated).