Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New Model Y - regular black screen on wake up + phone call bug

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
All,

Two issues that have now happened a few times since I got my Model Y a few weeks ago, curious if anyone else faced the same.

- A couple of times a week I return to the car and the screen is just black. Everything is on though (climate etc) + it's connecting to Bluetooth on my phone and resuming playback. So it's just the screen that stays black.

- I end a call, and then immediately after hanging up it appears to call my own number (bizarre) and shows the ongoing call graphic in bottom right, and I can't do anything to get it to go away (tapping hang up etc just nothing and it's not actually a live call on my phone).

Both issues need scroll wheel reset to fix. Not the end of the world but also a bit annoying to have to do it 2-3 times a week.

Seems to be entirely random.

Any other similar experiences?

I would raise a service request with Tesla, to confirm this definitely isn't something I see on my car. There are sometimes software bugs that effect specific generations of hardware that get resolved in future software releases, they should pretty quickly identify if that's the case.

Reactions: bhav
Got our new model Y 9 days ago.
Was fine until Monday evening (So 6 days after picking it up) when it first did the black screen thing.
Repeated the black screen on Wednesday and again on Thursday (Today).
I removed and reinserted the USB stick and then formatted it - will see what happens I guess.

I guess if we keep seeing it I will then leave the USB stick out and see if it occurs - then maybe log a service call - I assume via the app.

i've had the black screen thing about 4 times in the last 2 weeks, and that spans a software update. A 2 button reset gets it back, but usually I am just in a hurry to get somewhere. Next time it happens I will do a service call.

Thanks @bhav

4th time for me since Monday. I reformatted the USB stick after the 3rd time.
I removed the USB stick completely after the 4th time. (there were suggestions else where it may be related to the USB stick). Will see what happens.

Only had the car less than 2 weeks - so not sure how often this might normally happen. Was ok for the first 5 days - they every 2 days (more or less) since.
Only thing that is consistant so far is that you get in the car and see a faint backlight on an otherwise blank screen. Its always been when I get in the car. It's not done it when on the move (so far).

Thanks @bhav

4th time for me since Monday. I reformatted the USB stick after the 3rd time.
I removed the USB stick completely after the 4th time. (there were suggestions else where it may be related to the USB stick). Will see what happens.

Only had the car less than 2 weeks - so not sure how often this might normally happen. Was ok for the first 5 days - they every 2 days (more or less) since.
Only thing that is consistant so far is that you get in the car and see a faint backlight on an otherwise blank screen. Its always been when I get in the car. It's not done it when on the move (so far).
hey guys, i'm having the same issue on a M3 MIC here in North America
I have a service call booked next week, keep you posted if anything comes up

Service team got back to me today:

"Just reaching out regarding
your screen blank concern. At this stage
this is a fleet wide issue and our
engineering team are investigating the root
cause for this. We do believe a resolution
will be achieved remotely, we are just
waiting on confirmation from our
engineering team. At this stage no
hardware replacement is required, we will
be pushing out the appointment until
engineering have confirmed next steps in
resolution. Appreciate our patience as we
work through this remotely. Kind regards,
Tesla Service."

They'd originally been out to have a look a couple of weeks back when it first started, and just kept the appointment open pending another software update. As 20.7 didn't fix it hopefully it'll be the next one, if/when they work it out.