Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New Model Y Very satisfying but NO HOMELINK

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Just traded in my 2018 Model 3 Long range AWD for a Model Y long range AWD. So I am a repeat Tesla buyer. The buying experience has vastly improved and the COVID safe process took 30 minutes and exceeded my expectations for efficiency.
Drove the 2.5 hours home and liked what I had. Tight, nice drive almost as good as the model 3. A superior cross over for sure. I really enjoyed driving in it, a great experience. Better range by a little bit and more clearance for the dirt roads in our town. That said as I drove up to my garage and fumbled for the homelink that my model 3 had, I find it is gone! It is a $300 after market option! Is Tesla serious? Elon are you listening? My wife's Ford Edge has buttons to open the garage for goodness sake. Some bean counter thought this would add a few million onto the bottom line? Was it worth pissing off repeat customers? This is a bone headed move that only irritates your best customers.

Just traded in my 2018 Model 3 Long range AWD for a Model Y long range AWD. So I am a repeat Tesla buyer. The buying experience has vastly improved and the COVID safe process took 30 minutes and exceeded my expectations for efficiency.
Drove the 2.5 hours home and liked what I had. Tight, nice drive almost as good as the model 3. A superior cross over for sure. I really enjoyed driving in it, a great experience. Better range by a little bit and more clearance for the dirt roads in our town. That said as I drove up to my garage and fumbled for the homelink that my model 3 had, I find it is gone! It is a $300 after market option! Is Tesla serious? Elon are you listening? My wife's Ford Edge has buttons to open the garage for goodness sake. Some bean counter thought this would add a few million onto the bottom line? Was it worth pissing off repeat customers? This is a bone headed move that only irritates your best customers.

I couldn't agree more. To make matters worse, you have to bring your car into service in order for them to install the module. You would think that every Tesla would include this module and it would simply be something they would need to turn on, nope.

Something tells me that not everyone was using it, which I'm sure Tesla can see remotely, so they decided to remove the module from the standard equipment in order to save on production costs.

Reactions: Fadiawesome
No need to take it in. You order the kit, DON'T open it (voids the install warranty), mobile service installs it at your home.

Theory is not enough buyers were actually using it...for whatever reason.

You didn't look that up before you threw down fifty grand on a car?

I’m glad I didn’t get one and didn’t have to pay any extra for my car. I don’t want to waste $300 on some gadget I dont need when I can just use my phone and Siri Shortcuts for $40.

As a last resort you can even use the garage door openers that you probably already have just saying ??

What’s the logic in not including the module during the production process then? Having to send a mobile tech to spend an hour installing it isn’t aligning with your theory.

it would depend on how they pay their techs. If it is per job, maybe not, but if the tech is just hourly and was going to make $25/hr and drive an electric car to your house not paying for gas, than it makes plenty sense. It also only the tech 25 minutes to install and help link to my door opener a couple weeks ago....

Last edited:
What’s the logic in not including the module during the production process then? Having to send a mobile tech to spend an hour installing it isn’t aligning with your theory.
Not including the Homelimk module during production is a cost saving measure. From an operations management perspective you are saving time, not to mention Homelink charges a license fee for the part whether it is used or not. This is the rationale for Tesla offering it as a post hoc accessory. I was mildly annoyed the car didn't have Homelink standard since I've had it in every vehicle I've purchased since 2005, but I quickly got over it. Instead of purchasing the Homelink I decided to use the trusty garage door remote that clips to the sun visor. It's incredibly low tech but it works.

Not including the Homelimk module during production is a cost saving measure. From an operations management perspective you are saving time, not to mention Homelink charges a license fee for the part whether it is used or not. This is the rationale for Tesla offering it as a post hoc accessory. I was mildly annoyed the car didn't have Homelink standard since I've had it in every vehicle I've purchased since 2005, but I quickly got over it. Instead of purchasing the Homelink I decided to use the trusty garage door remote that clips to the sun visor. It's incredibly low tech but it works.

Hey, I've seen a kludge where people attach (velcro) the remote to the back of the Display, and just reach under and hit the button! How clever! and no one will see it! And it's free! LOL

I contemplated for a brief amount of time on whether or not I would just use the garage door remote that came with the garage door opener or buying the Homelink module. I ended up with the Homelink module. I'm a gadget lover and a lover of clean installations and looks so Homelink satisfied both of those. My favorite part about it is programming it to automatically open the garage door as I pull into my driveway. I don't use the automatic close feature when leaving because I'm OCD and want to see the door close. I do wish it would have been included but I have no regrets. Mobile technician came to my house. Only thing is, the tech was relatively new and didn't snap all of the clips back in so I went in after he left and made sure everything was secure. One thing I didn't know about was the wire that fire fighters can cut to kill the high voltage circuit. It's supposed to be visible from the factory. Mine wasn't but the tech made sure it was visible when he put the cover back on. See picture below for the tag on the left.
tesla.jpg