Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New model Y with radio issues

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Two and half weeks ago. My wife purchased a model Y. The radio and streaming service would emit a buzzing sound for 30 seconds every 5 minutes. She scheduled a service appointment which was delayed to last week. The service has been extended due to another delay. Tesla said they dont have any loaners. Can we consider this car to be lemon? If so, how do we go about this?

With respect. This is not a "car-car" in the older vernacular kind of way. I consider mine, more like a smartphone with AWD. It could be a faulty LTE router/combo thingy, which they would pull out and/or replace. It could also be a software thing. But it certainly isnt a lemon. I think you may have a problem pushing that narrative. Again, said with respect.

Reactions: shlidgn90 and Kimmi
I find it hard to believe a car with just a radio problem can be considered a lemon, especially if even the first repair attempt have not been done yet. As others mentioned, the components in the car are fairly easy to replace, so they can just take out whole modules to replace in the worse case scenario. Heck in one of the threads, people have even retrofitted their own XM radio (even though Model 3 didn't come with it).

As for delays in service appointments, this has been the long running case with Tesla unfortunately.

You would need to check your state's lemon laws for details and whether they even apply to your car (you didn't say whether you bought new or used).

In my state, a dealer is given three attempts at repairing a faulty vehicle before the lemon law kicks in. In your case, your concern is more about the timing of the repair rather than the failure of the repair itself (since they haven't attempted one yet), and I would be surprised to see if there was such a strict time limit on the attempted repairs (if there is a time limit at all). At first blush, it doesn't sound to me like you've got a case yet, especially since it's only been 2.5 weeks (even regular dealerships can take over a week to get you in for a non-drivability issue).

Can we consider this car to be lemon?

No.

In order for the lemon law to even attempt to be used, you have to have either (4) attempts by the dealer / manufacturer to repair the exact same thing, or a verifiable SAFETY issue (of which a radio isnt), or the vehicle being in possession of the dealer for repair for over 30 days (Days vehicle in service, DAVIS days).

You dont meet any of those criteria, so no, its not considered a lemon.

Reactions: shlidgn90
Two and half weeks ago. My wife purchased a model Y. The radio and streaming service would emit a buzzing sound for 30 seconds every 5 minutes. She scheduled a service appointment which was delayed to last week. The service has been extended due to another delay. Tesla said they dont have any loaners. Can we consider this car to be lemon? If so, how do we go about this?
Have you tried the soft reset and full system shut down to see if it would fix issue?

Reactions: shlidgn90