Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New navigation on dash?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
NEW NAVE DOWNLOAD - MISSED THIS PAST WEEKEND

Just spoke to Tesla Tech and was told the NAV updates have not gone out. There are some beta versions out there like my 2018.12 sent out and included in most of the March cars just built, but nothing full version yet. Said maybe start batching in a week or two and then continue to the fleet the next few months.

I have 2018.12 in my 2015 MS but the nav has not changed!

I have 2018.12 in my 2015 MS but the nav has not changed!

Thanks. My left screen zooms in and comes up with street name balloons and the right screen zooms in at intersections now too and then zooms back out. I was told that was something new as I wouldn’t know since I took delivery 10 days ago. Lets hope for the new update soon, because the traffic alerts and some of the routing is sometimes squirrelly.

A8BF6339-5F7D-413C-BD56-CA737FB39F47.jpeg
I got 2018.12 last week. Last night the nav updated. Other than a new voice and streets in boxes I don’t see a monumental difference. Still more antequated than I had 15 years ago on Japanese imports. Frankly navigation without waypoints is worthless on long trips. I see no difference on the main panel.

Reactions: am_dmd
We just updated to 2018.14 4d, does that firmware version indicate the Navigation version or is there another place to check to determine the navigation version? Our's has the new MCU.

We have only had our 2018 S100D for a few weeks, so still lots to learn.

thanks for any help.

Jim

We just updated to 2018.14 4d, does that firmware version indicate the Navigation version or is there another place to check to determine the navigation version? Our's has the new MCU.

We have only had our 2018 S100D for a few weeks, so still lots to learn.

thanks for any help.

Jim
The "new" navigation may already be on your car since delivery if you have MCU2, the super snappy Intel based center screen. When navigating, you should see "navigation by Tesla beta" next to the Google logo on the bottom right corner of the map (it's pretty faint, easy to miss)

Otherwise, you can tell from the little map on your instrument cluster. The new maps look sharper and have lots of road name labels for upcoming roads. The old maps had pretty much no labeling of side streets.

• Informative
Reactions: jrad6515
View attachment 292231 I got 2018.12 last week. Last night the nav updated. Other than a new voice and streets in boxes I don’t see a monumental difference. Still more antequated than I had 15 years ago on Japanese imports. Frankly navigation without waypoints is worthless on long trips. I see no difference on the main panel.
I picked up my 2016 MS (AP 1.0 h/w) today after its 2yr service (Mercedes loaner...) and got the 2018.12 software with the "beta" nav.

First, how can it be beta when I don't see anyway to turn it off and revert to the prior version? I guess that's to match the 2yr old route planning which is still in "beta".

In any case, it has the new maps on the instrument panel with the little balloons as shown by @BruceR61. They look nicer than the old maps and the intersection graphics are a little clearer. I haven't tried a complicated route yet to see if it still announces the turn "now" exactly when you should have made the turn, instead of 50yds earlier when it's useful information. Since I see no change in the center display maps or functionality and I suspect it's still using Google routing.

More importantly, there is no change in functionality. I would much rather have had waypoints with the old maps than new maps and no waypoints.

Like many Tesla updates, its all about appearances with no change in core functionality.

Separately, the service advisor asked me how the auto-pilot was working and I told him it was great. I use the cruise control all the time, but only use auto-steer on long distance freeway trips. His response was "the AP 1.0 stuff is rock solid, the AP 2.0 and 2.5 has too many cameras and can't figure out which way to go".

AP 1.0 is the MobilEye hardware/software. AP 2.0 and onward is of course the NIH version; the "we can do it better ourselves" stuff.

The "new" navigation may already be on your car since delivery if you have MCU2, the super snappy Intel based center screen. When navigating, you should see "navigation by Tesla beta" next to the Google logo on the bottom right corner of the map (it's pretty faint, easy to miss)

Otherwise, you can tell from the little map on your instrument cluster. The new maps look sharper and have lots of road name labels for upcoming roads. The old maps had pretty much no labeling of side streets.

Chillaban,

Thanks, it did come with the new navigation.

Thanks for your help.

Jim

Yeah that’s MCU2 with the new tesla vector maps.

I am driving a 2018 loaner that has MCU1. I don't seen anything different about the maps and it has 2018.12.x. The maps don't appear any different than my older 2014 with 2018.6.1. I wonder if there is something to the thought that the new vector maps are only appear on the MCU2 cars? This does not line up with what Elon said however about the new maps speeding up the MCU1 cars. Hopefully we will see more feedback from MCU1 owners with the newer software.

For a side-by-side comparison of the new navigation vs. the old, see this video:

I do not have the update yet. From watching the video, I was very disappointed in the voice change -- it seems less clear and more artificial-sounding. Also, I will definitely miss the big graphics with the exit signs at key interchanges (similar to what is in typical GPS units). Maybe Tesla will add those later. So, until i actually use it, I am sorry to say I was not impressed. But DAEric was, so maybe it'll be good when i see it....