Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New Order Status

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I never driven or been in a Tesla before. Everyone I know who owns one or been in one raves about it. I have always wanted a Tesla since the S first came out. I couldn't afford it. I put a deposit the day the 3 came out but I couldnt wait that long and landed up buying a Hellcat on a super steal. I am able to sell the Hellcat for almost the price I bought it for because of the crazy used car market. I looked at my budget and was able to barely swing a M3P. You only live once. I am sure I will love it.
You don't have any Tesla stores in your area for you to test drive one? I'm sure you'll like it. I've test driven the performance and the long range. Loved both, but the HP on the M3P was awesome. Money is definitely tight with buying the M3P here too, but the difference between the LR and the P for me was like $90 so I figured I'd go for it.

Funny you say that, lately I've been on the fence about maybe changing my order from an M3P to a Long Range (new). For now I think I'm leaving it with the M3P. I fell in love with the performance when I test drove it.

I also test drove a M3P and was duly impressed as was my wife who said "I want one in Blue!". Mine's going to be red. I also know battery is king especially the way we travel and where we live. From what I've read on the forums, you can get the M3 AWD LR and add the $2K performance unlock and have a vehicle that's very close to the M3P's acceleration and yet have a longer range battery for less money that a M3P. Obvioulsly there are a few things you'd not have from the M3P but I want the 18" Aero's for milkeage and tire life. I could change the wheels, etc., but you're stuck with the battery. Just my logic for how we drive, etc.

Reactions: ItsMeCarlos
I also test drove a M3P and was duly impressed as was my wife who said "I want one in Blue!". Mine's going to be red. I also know battery is king especially the way we travel and where we live. From what I've read on the forums, you can get the M3 AWD LR and add the $2K performance unlock and have a vehicle that's very close to the M3P's acceleration and yet have a longer range battery for less money that a M3P. Obvioulsly there are a few things you'd not have from the M3P but I want the 18" Aero's for milkeage and tire life. I could change the wheels, etc., but you're stuck with the battery. Just my logic for how we drive, etc.
That's a good point! That's what I've been contemplating lately in possibly changing to an LR. But I haven't been able to test drive an LR with the acceleration boost to compare the difference.

You don't have any Tesla stores in your area for you to test drive one? I'm sure you'll like it. I've test driven the performance and the long range. Loved both, but the HP on the M3P was awesome. Money is definitely tight with buying the M3P here too, but the difference between the LR and the P for me was like $90 so I figured I'd go for it.

I am currently stationed overseas so much of nothing around me but desert. This is purchase is my last deployment / Xmas / Bday gift to myself. It is the reason why I have requested a mid-dec pickup because I am due to be home by then.

I also test drove a M3P and was duly impressed as was my wife who said "I want one in Blue!". Mine's going to be red. I also know battery is king especially the way we travel and where we live. From what I've read on the forums, you can get the M3 AWD LR and add the $2K performance unlock and have a vehicle that's very close to the M3P's acceleration and yet have a longer range battery for less money that a M3P. Obviously there are a few things you'd not have from the M3P but I want the 18" Aero's for milkeage and tire life. I could change the wheels, etc., but you're stuck with the battery. Just my logic for how we drive, etc.

I struggle with exactly what you stated. I figured regardless of the little bit of extra range the LR has over the P my lead foot would mitigate that advantage. Plus, I actually like the extra features the P has i.e. the spoiler and wheels and faster acceleration . I know myself enough to know if I got the LR w AB I would have always be annoyed that I didn't get the P. Tesla to me is less of clean energy thing. Tesla is a way for me to own a 3 sec car in my life without having to sell a kidney.

I am currently stationed overseas so much of nothing around me but desert. This is purchase is my last deployment / Xmas / Bday gift to myself. It is the reason why I have requested a mid-dec pickup because I am due to be home by then.

I struggle with exactly what you stated. I figured regardless of the little bit of extra range the LR has over the P my lead foot would mitigate that advantage. Plus, I actually like the extra features the P has i.e. the spoiler and wheels and faster acceleration . I know myself enough to know if I got the LR w AB I would have always be annoyed that I didn't get the P. Tesla to me is less of clean energy thing. Tesla is a way for me to own a 3 sec car in my life without having to sell a kidney.
You couldn't have said it better! That would be my fear is getting the LR and then regretting I didn't get the P after.

That's a good point! That's what I've been contemplating lately in possibly changing to an LR. But I haven't been able to test drive an LR with the acceleration boost to compare the difference.

There is a thread here that I currently can't find that discusses this with actual numbers. For me that difference is OK. We do a lot of long trips and the bigger battery is a must, but if you don't do that or don't live in a very cold area, it's not a s big a need.

It sounds to me like you know exactly what you want/need and that's a 3 second car! What a great present for you! I envy your journey and hope you get back home soon.

I know for a fact that if "I" got a P, I'd be "required" to occasionally (OK, daily) spank unsuspecting BMW's, Mustangs, etc. and at some point it would catch up to me in tickets and insurance rates. I'll stick to the M3 AWD LR with the perf unlock and put the money saved in ceramic paint coats, etc. The places we like to travel still have some super charger holes so even with a CHAdeMO adapter, I need the extra range.

• Funny
Reactions: ItsMeCarlos
There is a thread here that I currently can't find that discusses this with actual numbers. For me that difference is OK. We do a lot of long trips and the bigger battery is a must, but if you don't do that or don't live in a very cold area, it's not a s big a need.

It sounds to me like you know exactly what you want/need and that's a 3 second car! What a great present for you! I envy your journey and hope you get back home soon.

I know for a fact that if "I" got a P, I'd be "required" to occasionally (OK, daily) spank unsuspecting BMW's, Mustangs, etc. and at some point it would catch up to me in tickets and insurance rates. I'll stick to the M3 AWD LR with the perf unlock and put the money saved in ceramic paint coats, etc. The places we like to travel still have some super charger holes so even with a CHAdeMO adapter, I need the extra range.
That IS going to totally be me when I get the car. LOL

Reactions: Mark57

I also opted for the LR, and will get the acceleration boost, and the rest of the money I will be using to modify my car, Im thinking of adding a carbon fiber spoiler when I get it and ceramic coating and all. I can't find the thread about the acceleration boost, can someone link it

Reactions: Mark57
I also opted for the LR, and will get the acceleration boost, and the rest of the money I will be using to modify my car, Im thinking of adding a carbon fiber spoiler when I get it and ceramic coating and all. I can't find the thread about the acceleration boost, can someone link it
Nice! Would definitely like to hear your experience once you do that and do your mods.

Guys - quick one. If I order now, what do you think the chances are that I'll get a refreshed model? I don't think there is a M3LR in inventory in the UK according to the website. So I should get a fresh one, or am I overlooking something?

Guys - quick one. If I order now, what do you think the chances are that I'll get a refreshed model? I don't think there is a M3LR in inventory in the UK according to the website. So I should get a fresh one, or am I overlooking something?
I think your chances are going to be very good since the refreshed models should be headed your way soon before we get them here in the US.

Reactions: zerb012345
Ordered. If I don't get a refreshed model, I shall hold you personally responsible ;-)

congrats! Once they assign your VIN, check out the tenth digit....if it’s an M then you got the refresh. An L will put you in a leftover 2020 built in sept. Do what we did and call Tesla to have them reassign you to a newer VIN if you do get matched with an L.

keep us posted!

#TeamNoRush
#TeamWaiting

congrats! Once they assign your VIN, check out the tenth digit....if it’s an M then you got the refresh. An L will put you in a leftover 2020 built in sept. Do what we did and call Tesla to have them reassign you to a newer VIN if you do get matched with an L.

keep us posted!

#TeamNoRush
#TeamWaiting

Hmmm, I kind of do need a new car though!

When do I find out my assigned VIN? Will that appear on my Tesla app or will it be emailed?