Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New owner… I wish someone would've warned me

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
[...] I think if you really want to compliment Tesla, buy something that isn't trying to compete in terms of speed, more like a small roadster or something else for a track car.

Yeah, you know, if I had the space and time, I'd probably get another S2K for a weekend car, maybe do a hardtop for track use.

But it takes a BIG open road and nobody around to really enjoy his car, while mine is a riot in the type of driving we all do every day.

That's the thing with some of these big ballsy cars, to really get something out of them on the street, you have to get into ticket territory (and attract a lot of attention). Kind of like when I had my S2K (see above :) ) vs. my Z06, that latter was into jail time at the top of second, while my S2K was barely hitting the speed limit in 3rd - the latter was just so much more kinetic, and engaging at lower-ish speeds.

The M3P is sort of the same thing, I can hustle - quietly - through a traffic circle and it's super fun, while maintaining a reasonable speed. Everything happens so immediate, it's not a big spectacle.

That's the thing with some of these big ballsy cars, to really get something out of them on the street, you have to get into ticket territory (and attract a lot of attention).

The M3P is sort of the same thing, I can hustle - quietly - through a traffic circle and it's super fun, while maintaining a reasonable speed. Everything happens so immediate, it's not a big spectacle.

The real fun in the GT500 happens above about 4K RPM, and is accompanied by a sound that notifies anyone within miles than you're ON IT.

I can take off from a stoplight or stop sign (no fiddling about with a "launch control" function or any silly "mode" to engage) or rip through a twisty road at ludicrous speed in my M3P and the only people who notice are people close enough to hear the tires scrabbling for traction or see me disappear into the distance! ;-)

New owner here of an M3P. Love the car but wished someone warned me it will make everything feel SLOW. I drove my Vette the other day which is procharged and makes around 600hp. It felt like garbage!

Looking forward to learning from you guys! Completely love this thing
I know exactly how you feel. I have a GT500 convertible that hardly ever gets run anymore, with the M3P being so fast and fun to drive. It's like it has ruined the driving experience for every other car I have. I have people asking me all the time though - "don't you miss the rumble of the V8"? Not really, which actually surprises me. The Performance version of the Model 3 is an amazing piece of engineering, in my opinion.

Yeah, you know, if I had the space and time, I'd probably get another S2K for a weekend car, maybe do a hardtop for track use.

That's the thing with some of these big ballsy cars, to really get something out of them on the street, you have to get into ticket territory (and attract a lot of attention). Kind of like when I had my S2K (see above :) ) vs. my Z06, that latter was into jail time at the top of second, while my S2K was barely hitting the speed limit in 3rd - the latter was just so much more kinetic, and engaging at lower-ish speeds.

Yeah, my AP1 was slower than a bicycle before it hit vtec but you get some serious adrenaline! It's funny you mentioned S2K. I was looking at S2000s again. I've had 4 and I think 5th will get me killed, by the wife lol

My last one, I had a hardtop with a rollbar, no softtop. It killed the car for me. It wasn't street worthy anymore. I'd just track it (amazing at the track, lighter) but I liked the double duty. Maybe with Tesla as street car, I might like the S2000 being a super duper track duty car? Who knows. I'd like to hear what others have as their track cars. I am not sure if Tesla will be fun at the track but I'm going to put it out there.
Heck, I even autocrossed my TSX manual once on all season tires for fun lol

Reactions: Lindenwood
Yeah, my AP1 was slower than a bicycle before it hit vtec but you get some serious adrenaline! It's funny you mentioned S2K. I was looking at S2000s again. I've had 4 and I think 5th will get me killed, by the wife lol

My last one, I had a hardtop with a rollbar, no softtop. It killed the car for me. It wasn't street worthy anymore. I'd just track it (amazing at the track, lighter) but I liked the double duty. Maybe with Tesla as street car, I might like the S2000 being a super duper track duty car? Who knows. I'd like to hear what others have as their track cars. I am not sure if Tesla will be fun at the track but I'm going to put it out there.
Heck, I even autocrossed my TSX manual once on all season tires for fun lol

I miss my S2k. Unfortunately moved it right before the giant value bump. I'd love to get another one day

Reactions: S2K_MoZo
New owner here of an M3P. Love the car but wished someone warned me it will make everything feel SLOW. I drove my Vette the other day which is procharged and makes around 600hp. It felt like garbage!

Looking forward to learning from you guys! Completely love this thing
WHAT???? EVs are super fast off the line!?!?!?!?!

I will tell you as a "track rat" I love vehicles! ALL of them. To @APT21 ......get used to it!

I am a HUGE Porsche guy. I spent a ton of funds over the years to get my 996TT to the point were I was comfortable with 3.5 sec and even SOMETIMES below that by a tenth chasing "that perfect feel".

When we purchased my wife's "Daily Driver M3LR" .......I had to say it was a SHOCK! Immediate acceleration! It does make my track car seem slow....Now, would I take her M3LR to the track....absolutely NOT. But it would be fun!

The immediate torque and "launch" from a Tesla Model 3 is fun....Like others have stated....I would kill myself in a "PLAID" Model S!

DONT SELL YOUR VETTE! I am not selling our track car because I LOVE working on it and it is simply FUN!

For a Daily Driver fun car........you can't beat Tesla's stuff. Styling sucks, exhaust NONE, the "feel"....not even close...but I would not trade ANY of our vehicles but your point it well taken! Yes....Tesla made our Track "dinosaurs".....feel SLOW! :)

WHAT???? EVs are super fast off the line!?!?!?!?!

I will tell you as a "track rat" I love vehicles! ALL of them. To @APT21 ......get used to it!

I am a HUGE Porsche guy. I spent a ton of funds over the years to get my 996TT to the point were I was comfortable with 3.5 sec and even SOMETIMES below that by a tenth chasing "that perfect feel".

When we purchased my wife's "Daily Driver M3LR" .......I had to say it was a SHOCK! Immediate acceleration! It does make my track car seem slow....Now, would I take her M3LR to the track....absolutely NOT. But it would be fun!

The immediate torque and "launch" from a Tesla Model 3 is fun....Like others have stated....I would kill myself in a "PLAID" Model S!

DONT SELL YOUR VETTE! I am not selling our track car because I LOVE working on it and it is simply FUN!

For a Daily Driver fun car........you can't beat Tesla's stuff. Styling sucks, exhaust NONE, the "feel"....not even close...but I would not trade ANY of our vehicles but your point it well taken! Yes....Tesla made our Track "dinosaurs"....

haha.... def no plans to move the Vette. I personally did not know how enjoyable daily driving would be. I was previously daily driving my 750 or Gladiator. The M3P is just such a nice mixture of functionality and performance.

Reactions: ColoradoMike
Cmon! What planet have you been living on? I’m a diehard ICE guy, but the news about EV acceleration is very old news.
I enjoy my turbocharged MT6 sports convertible, but there are any number of crappy cars that are faster. And then there’s the Tesla.
King of the Hill.

I miss my S2k. Unfortunately moved it right before the giant value bump. I'd love to get another one day
Dude! I've had like 4 of them! From street + autocross to heavy duty track build. I don't think I'm done either. I think that car is something else. Nothing comes close in terms of feel. I still want another one, one day lol

Dude! I've had like 4 of them! From street + autocross to heavy duty track build. I don't think I'm done either. I think that car is something else. Nothing comes close in terms of feel. I still want another one, one day lol
S2K was the most fun car ive ever owned even though it lacked so much power. The ability to throw it around and the ridiculously high redline just made it a blast. It makes me sad to see so many S2K owners babying them and not driving them how they were meant to be.

Reactions: S2K_MoZo
I've had my M3P for six months and I still marvel at its acceleration. It's just so much fun to drive.

Lately, I've been trying to correlate my "fun driving" and its impact on range though. I drove 191 miles using my typical driving habits for long trips (80-85) with the AC cranking and I still had 31 miles of range when I arrived. I know that's not the EPA rating but 220 miles while driving like an a-hole is still pretty good. I actually scared myself at one point when I saw I was up over 100 but it sure didn't feel like it. Gotta lean in on the cruise control more...