Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New owner, don't understand the lack of album art on the USB reader

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
This has been a big disappointment for me since an update last year removed album art, it does not seem to be important to the powers that be or they do not know what they are doing. Should be easy, they can have all the stupid games, sounds and stuff I could care less about but no album art. The big problem with the current system is it is dangerous to be driving and try to find an album or song, instead of one tap you need at least three to find a new album, artists or song.
They don't care about you enough, I'm afraid. In the new world order, there is no physical media from which to take the album art.

Physical music albums shipped in the USA:
2020: 31.6M
2000: 942,5M

They don't care about you enough, I'm afraid. In the new world order, there is no physical media from which to take the album art.

It is not so much about the art but they need to find a way for you to change your music while driving, put your most recently played music that could be accessed with one tap.

Physical albums have nothing to do with album art. All albums released still have album art, it is just in digital format. I run a website - thejazzworld.com - and every piece of content I receive from the labels have album art included in the email. In the attached file, most consumers will not see the the CD jacket, but you will see the album cover.
Screen Shot 2021-08-18 at 9.41.46 AM.jpg

Still waiting on my MYLR but I believed you just confirmed that AAC (M4A) files play fine? I've been researching and finding mixed information. What about ALAF (M4A) format? I've switched to ripping new music in FLAC but don't want to re-rip the entire library, most of which is in Apple AAC (M4A) format.
M4A files PLAY just fine, as do most types of files. Just no album art, and no continuous play....there's ALWAYS a gap inserted between tracks, even if there wasn't any in the original recording.

It is not so much about the art but they need to find a way for you to change your music while driving, put your most recently played music that could be accessed with one tap.
if that were the case, then why bother showing album art on streaming channels? No, it's just another annoying thing Musk does to keep people paying for Premium Internet, as Streaming is now the ONLY way to get album art. Every other USB player I have ever used will show embedded artwork (album art or your own if you choose), except Tesla.

Reactions: sparty96
if that were the case, then why bother showing album art on streaming channels? No, it's just another annoying thing Musk does to keep people paying for Premium Internet, as Streaming is now the ONLY way to get album art. Every other USB player I have ever used will show embedded artwork (album art or your own if you choose), except Tesla.
Yeah, HDRadio has been out for over a decade with radio stations showing album art and station logos with no issues. There are about a dozen stations here in Chicago that support album art in their broadcast.

Reactions: vdiv
You might have a point if it were not for it working up until an update broke it. Why program it in there at all if there's some grand plan to get people to pay for premium internet?

Honestly I didn't even think about using USB media until I read these recent posts on this forum. I just bluetooth pair my phone and stream from Pandora or such. I used USB media in my S2000, but even that was pretty rare. I think Tesla probably just didn't care to make it robust, considering all the other more modern options.

Reactions: Chemios
Honestly I didn't even think about using USB media until I read these recent posts on this forum. I just bluetooth pair my phone and stream from Pandora or such. I used USB media in my S2000, but even that was pretty rare. I think Tesla probably just didn't care to make it robust, considering all the other more modern options.
Yes, Modern and convenient. But the cost is sound quality. To me, sound quality is paramount, and no form of streaming or bluetooth audio can come anywhere close to Flac or Wav files, through the same system. Again, this isn't a thread about how you should listen to music. If you want to listen to inferior sounding sources, that's your prerogative. This is a thread about the quality and features found on the USB player in this car...and in that, Tesla has dropped the ball horribly. Worse, they took it away, when they used to have it. Probably so you could add another fart sound.

I've spent about 20+ years amassing a collection of mp3 files (from ripping all my CDs to songs I've purchased over the years). It's very easy and convenient to have all of them on a thumb-drive and immediately accessible. And, as others have pointed out, the sound quality is better than streaming and the songs are available even if the internet is not. I don't mind so much how the navigation works for the files (sort by song, artist, genre etc.) but I also think it would be nice if the USB art was fixed since there's obviously a place for it on the interface and it DID work up until about a year or so ago.

Reactions: MikeR99 and Merrill
I just got a Model S, our first Tesla and have owned BMW’s for years. I am surprised how clunky this supposively high tech system is. BMW infotainment is ways ahead. On BMW I get full size album art and I can save favorites from Sirius, AM/FM all together. On Tesla, at least so far, I get very small album art on a huge screen and from what I can tell now to save favorites all together. No Apple Music and not getting album art on FM HD stations. It is like I went backwards and thought would go forward.

On BMW, I could look at HUD and use the controller or steering wheel controls to change favorites, fm/am/Sirius, etc, which was so safe to do. On Tesla, I have to look at the big screen and fumble thru the different radio/streaming options. Very unsafe. Maybe it will get easier as I get used to the car, but so far definitely does not seem like it. Should be much more streamlined, larger album art, favorites together, etc, unless all of this is my newness and user error. :)

I just got a Model S, our first Tesla and have owned BMW’s for years. I am surprised how clunky this supposively high tech system is. BMW infotainment is ways ahead. On BMW I get full size album art and I can save favorites from Sirius, AM/FM all together. On Tesla, at least so far, I get very small album art on a huge screen and from what I can tell now to save favorites all together. No Apple Music and not getting album art on FM HD stations. It is like I went backwards and thought would go forward.

On BMW, I could look at HUD and use the controller or steering wheel controls to change favorites, fm/am/Sirius, etc, which was so safe to do. On Tesla, I have to look at the big screen and fumble thru the different radio/streaming options. Very unsafe. Maybe it will get easier as I get used to the car, but so far definitely does not seem like it. Should be much more streamlined, larger album art, favorites together, etc, unless all of this is my newness and user error. :)
Pretty stupid that Tesla cannot put this together!

Reactions: MikeR99
I couldn't give a toss about album art - and it's a bit contradictory to say album art is important yet "I have to look at the big screen and fumble thru the different radio/streaming options. Very unsafe."

I don't mean to be rude, not a personal attack, just not important to me.

But a HUD ... now there's something I wish the car had, in fact I can't believe they aren't more common. I'd definitely go for one of those if it was available

Reactions: mrwug
I couldn't give a toss about album art - and it's a bit contradictory to say album art is important yet "I have to look at the big screen and fumble thru the different radio/streaming options. Very unsafe."

But a HUD ... now there's something I wish the car had, in fact I can't believe they aren't more common. I'd definitely go for one of those if it was available
The only reason I want album art is that I think it is unsafe to be driving and have to hit the usb icon then artist or album then pick the song all while you are driving. With the original album art you just tap on the album on the screen and your done.

So far, I think whole UI integration into the massive screen is really bad. Everything you do requires taking your attention to that big screen. I hear people say well other cars have all these buttons. I could hit the buttons on my BMW with my eyes closed or do a lot of stuff just using HUD and their little wheel in the middle. I really hope he streamlines the entertainment part. I tweeted him last night on my recommendations, but doubt he will listen. Seems like no brainer for a tech company.

Yeah - I really miss HUD so far. I think Elon thinks that the console helps with that, but HUD is still way better, as I never take my eyes of the road and with BMW HUD it is very versatile. Heck - I can even see Album Art if I move HUD through a playlist. LOL

Reactions: shoemakj
I'm kind of surprised people care about album art. One potential issue with album art, though I don't know if this has anything to do with it, is it can't easily be controlled. We had one song that would bring up album art with an exposed boob on it, and I have to wonder if this kind of thing makes manufacturers reconsider whether or not they want to display unvetted album art in their apps.
With the latest update, all isn’t fixed with the usb player but ALBUM ART IS BACK!!! Woooohooooo

Reactions: Tpstulane