Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New owner needs help

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
In researching Tesla I read a lot about the great service received by owners. So far I have not experienced that.

I took delivery of a P85 on Dec 12, 2014. It had version 6.0 of the software. The car is a blast.

Received software update 6.1 - 2.2.92 and had message the software install was not successful and that it would ask me to install again later. Never did.

Received software update 6.1 - 2.2.115 and again had the unsuccessful install message. Called the Rocklin service center and described I have had two unsuccessful software updates. I was told to wait another day, that they were having issues and it might try to push again. The phone rang many times and felt like the answer was a brush off. But I figured I would do what he said.

Went to drive the car on Sunday (boycotting stupid teams in super bowl) to go wine tasting. Put the car in reverse and got a new message "Park Assist Disabled, contact Tesla service." Monday morning I called Rocklin service center and it went to voice mail. The answering system stated I would get a call back within one business day. Left a message. No call back yet.

This morning received software update 6.1 - 2.2.116 and again had the unsuccessful install message. This is getting old. Since having the car I have not had the software install successfully. New features coming via software updates was a huge selling point.

Sorry for the long winded setup. My question. How do I get service? Do I keep trying to call? Do I just go to the service center and ask for help? So far I feel like I am dealing with a typical dealer service department.

I've had no issues with the update, but have read about it here. Others have had the issue though it often resolves itself. Sometimes being on wifi causes better results (faster download, etc). So that is one thing to consider. If the (!) is still at the top of the page near the T logo you can always reschedule the download.

Calling the service center and asking for the service manager might yield better results. They SHOULD be able to update your software via a cable/card -- but of course this will require a physical visit to the SC. Still that should be the answer to getting this taken care of ....

In researching Tesla I read a lot about the great service received by owners. So far I have not experienced that.

I took delivery of a P85 on Dec 12, 2014. It had version 6.0 of the software. The car is a blast.

Received software update 6.1 - 2.2.92 and had message the software install was not successful and that it would ask me to install again later. Never did.

Received software update 6.1 - 2.2.115 and again had the unsuccessful install message. Called the Rocklin service center and described I have had two unsuccessful software updates. I was told to wait another day, that they were having issues and it might try to push again. The phone rang many times and felt like the answer was a brush off. But I figured I would do what he said.

Went to drive the car on Sunday (boycotting stupid teams in super bowl) to go wine tasting. Put the car in reverse and got a new message "Park Assist Disabled, contact Tesla service." Monday morning I called Rocklin service center and it went to voice mail. The answering system stated I would get a call back within one business day. Left a message. No call back yet.

This morning received software update 6.1 - 2.2.116 and again had the unsuccessful install message. This is getting old. Since having the car I have not had the software install successfully. New features coming via software updates was a huge selling point.

Sorry for the long winded setup. My question. How do I get service? Do I keep trying to call? Do I just go to the service center and ask for help? So far I feel like I am dealing with a typical dealer service department.

This is unusual... there are occasional posts like this, but most of us have had quite good responsiveness. If the service center is nearby, yes I would stop by in person. You could also try emailing [email protected]. Tell them you are getting crap response. I have used the prior owner email hub (ownership@, which is since replaced). What they often do is send it right back to the service center, but with some "imperative". You will also get a survey and an email from regional service manager each time you have service. I would be very frank in both. Every time I've raised comments to regional, there has been follow up.

I believe this is combination of service center swamped, and maybe a bad employee... but that's no excuse! Good luck, I hope they turn it around.

It seems I did not wait long enough. I received a call back from the SC after I pressed the submit button on this post.

My car is connected to wifi and has full signal strength. My Access Point is in the office right next to garage.

Did not have the (!) to reschedule.

Taking the car in for service on Friday.

Thank you for your reply

Sorry for your troubles, mesalum. It's been pointed out elsewhere that it's a good idea to leave the car undisturbed while it's performing an update. One trick, if you want to know when it's finished, is to start a charge just before launching the update: the car will suspend the charge while the update is in progress and restart the charge when it's complete. If you have charge event notifications turned on, you'll get a notification on your smart phone when that happens.

Sorry for your troubles, mesalum. It's been pointed out elsewhere that it's a good idea to leave the car undisturbed while it's performing an update. One trick, if you want to know when it's finished, is to start a charge just before launching the update: the car will suspend the charge while the update is in progress and restart the charge when it's complete. If you have charge event notifications turned on, you'll get a notification on your smart phone when that happens.
Stevezzzz isn't that only true if you have an iPhone???

The fact that you know what version number you were upgrading to leads me to believe that the upgrade did complete successfully because there is no way to know what version you're going to get until you actually get it. Perhaps the upgrade failed, but then retried and worked or something like that. If the version you see after tapping the T says the version numbers you're saying, it's succeeding.

As for the issue getting through to the service center, that's very unusual. I've almost always had a live person answer my call (and usually greeted by name) and even had them call me back even when I didn't leave a message because they saw I called and they were on the phone. This is with the Raleigh SC though.

The fact that you know what version number you were upgrading to leads me to believe that the upgrade did complete successfully because there is no way to know what version you're going to get until you actually get it. Perhaps the upgrade failed, but then retried and worked or something like that. If the version you see after tapping the T says the version numbers you're saying, it's succeeding.
Not necessarily. When I first tried to install 6.1 (build .113) I got a message that the update did not complete and I would be reminded to try again later. The T screen said I had 6.1, build .113 but lots of stuff wasn't working, including most of the dashboard screen. Rebooting didn't solve it and Tesla tried pushing the update to me again without success. I was scheduled for service but when .115 was released they tried pushing that and the update succeeded and it fixed everything.

Bottom line is just because you see the build number displayed doesn't mean the update was successful.

To be fair, that sounds like a similar experience in regards to service at the Rocklin service center to when I needed their assistance while on a road trip in California. Lots of ringing phones, messages left, and no responses. I ended up driving back to Seattle with frequent crashes on my center console and got it fixed in a day with no issues at the Seattle service center.

Also, I would suggest calling the Tesla Ownership number first. 877 798 3752. That is always staffed and eliminated having to deal with the service center.

Just call the Tesla road side service number. Forget about calling the local service, although I have no issues with my local.