Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New Owner question 1 : Phone App “no products linked”

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So, after my first 2 days of M3P ownership when my iPhone Tesla App worked perfectly, I’ve now got the dreaded “There are no products linked to your Tesla account”.

Lots of Googling has revealed that this is a hugely common problem which goes back many, many years which seems absolutely crazy. If, indeed, it’s a “characteristic” of the system, why on earth don’t Tesla warn you that it’ll happen so you keep your key with you at all times.

So I have a couple of questions for you fine people :-

1) I assume I just have to wait for the App to kick in again? Or should I call Tesla (who do I call?)?

2) Do all of you ALWAYS carry your keycard jic the App fails?

3) Should I buy a key fob thingy?

I’ve had my phone be ignored by the car even thought it’s in the app and also always carry a card in my wallet when I drive.
Ironically, I’ve got my earlier Powerwall setup in my app that doesn’t exist anymore and Tesla can’t get rid of it!
I’d give them a call.

Did you try unlocking your car?

Unlocking the car doesn't need an internet connection to open door so I don't think this will cause an issue if phone app remained open and phone had been previously paired.

But yes, still carry key card.

Unless they changed it recently, the phone app only acts as a key for the car currently active in the app. Ie if you have two Teslas it will only open one unless you swipe to the other car in the app.

So, if your app says “no products”, it won’t open any, not even the last one it used to know about.

a paired phone key is just a communications route between the car and phone app. The app responds to the car’s query every time you approach it and says “this is the car I’m allowed to open”

So, after my first 2 days of M3P ownership when my iPhone Tesla App worked perfectly, I’ve now got the dreaded “There are no products linked to your Tesla account”.

Lots of Googling has revealed that this is a hugely common problem which goes back many, many years which seems absolutely crazy. If, indeed, it’s a “characteristic” of the system, why on earth don’t Tesla warn you that it’ll happen so you keep your key with you at all times.

So I have a couple of questions for you fine people :-

1) I assume I just have to wait for the App to kick in again? Or should I call Tesla (who do I call?)?

2) Do all of you ALWAYS carry your keycard jic the App fails?

3) Should I buy a key fob thingy?

tesla do tell you to always carry a key card - it’s in the manual
1973C754-FE19-4093-B1AF-AD66A58EF2B6.jpeg