Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

NEW OWNER WITH SOME QUESTIONS

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi everyone!

I've been lurking around here for several years, but I'm thrilled to say that I've finally made the leap and bought a Model S almost 3 weeks ago! So far, the car has been absolutely amazing; I actually want to drive just for the sake of driving. My only gripe is that entering and exiting aren't easy for me; but that has more to do with my health issues and size (I'm 6'5") than it does the car.

I have a few questions...I think that I know the answers, but want to be sure:

About the key fob
I have set up the car to auto-present only the driver's door handle, and that prevents the fob from opening all the doors with a double-click of the "roof". Is that normal? And are there any workarounds other than getting in the car to unlock the the other doors?

Re: EAP and Nav on AP
There's an interchange that I use for my daily commute that Felicity really doesn't like. If I approach the interchange while in Nav mode, I get a warning that navigation will end in "XXX feet". When the warning distance has elapsed, nav shuts off and EAP takes over while the car DRASTICALLY slows below the actual speed limit. Nav is unavailable for about 15 miles until it resumes at another interchange (that I don't take). Otherwise, Nav on AP has worked perfectly. And if I'm on EAP when I get to that interchange, the car still slows to below the speed limit. What's going on?

'Flickering' proximity indication
I'm seeing a frequent (many times a minute) left rear corner proximity indication that lasts only fractions of a second, even when there is nothing (no guard rail, no curb, no other vehicles...nothing). This only happens with the left rear detectors. I thought that some of the ultrasonics might be dirty, but they weren't. This has no effect on how the car behaves, because it only causes false positive indications, not false negatives. Does this warrant a possible service call?

Well...that's it for my first post as a member of the club.

Cheers,
Kevin

......only the driver's door handle...

You can go to your central display and configure driver door only or all doors...

...DRASTICALLY slows below the actual speed limit...

Navigation on Autopilot only works in designated GPS locations: usually, controlled access highways.

If the GPS says this is surface streets then it would slow down to 0 miles per hour if you don't intervene.

Sometimes the GPS database is wrong so hopefully, later updates would correct that.

'Flickering' proximity indication...

If it doesn't affect anything, I wouldn't worry about it.

Thanks for taking the time to respond to my questions.

One point of clarification: I understand that I can change the Passive Entry door behavior. I'm seeing that there seems to be no way to open all doors by using the fob when the driver door only option is selected. Is this the way it's suppposed to work?

Thanx

My only gripe is that entering and exiting aren't easy for me; but that has more to do with my health issues and size (I'm 6'5") than it does the car.

Try setting the air suspension to High for your parking locations. See if that makes it easier for you. Also make sure to experiment with Easy Entry settings.

Interchanges are tricky sometimes and speed limits are not always accurate. Hopefully the car will be able to read posted speed limits soon.

Flickering proximity, if it happens all the time, might be a faulty sensor. I would make an appointment to check it out.

Welcome to the Club!

I have a problem with false alerts from one of my proximity sensors. The Service Center could see that the particular sensor was misaligned. It was probably caused by landing the car on a parking barrier before I took delivery. It's been a couple of months since the diagnosis, waiting for the part.