Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New owner— Best booster seat?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I just ordered (on Sunday) from Amazon:
- Graco TurboBooster LX
- Maxi-Cosi Rodifix
- Diono Monterey XT
- Diono Monterey 4 DXT

By the end of the weekend I hope to test them all and take some pictures.

Right now we have a Peg Perego Viaggio Flex 120 and it works okay due to the very narrow base but I am trying to find something without rigid LATCH that fits a bit better with the MS next gen headrest that sticks out a bit.

Lots of folks were recommending the Maxi Cosi in my research due to its very narrow base but it’s also rigid LATCH.

Tesla says don’t use rigid LATCH with a booster and all the manufacturers say don’t use a seat belt extender.

I plan to make a new thread when I’m done!

Reactions: Zishan
- Graco TurboBooster LX
- Maxi-Cosi Rodifix
- Diono Monterey XT
- Diono Monterey 4 DXT

Right now we have a Peg Perego Viaggio Flex 120 and it works okay due to the very narrow base but I am trying to find something without rigid LATCH that fits a bit better with the MS next gen headrest that sticks out a bit.

Lots of folks were recommending the Maxi Cosi in my research due to its very narrow base but it’s also rigid LATCH.

Tesla says don’t use rigid LATCH with a booster and all the manufacturers say don’t use a seat belt extender.

My son found it absolutely impossible to use the seat belt without an extender. I ended up buying a 6 inch extender. I hope I never find out if it makes a difference.

Mine is some sort of graco thing that had a back but then the kids outgrew the backs so now it's just the base. We never used the backs in the tesla.

Sorry I don't have anything more useful to add.

I’ve only had the MS for a few days but my son (7 yo) can buckle himself in the Peg Perego Viaggio Flex 120 without an extender, again because the base is very narrow - only 12”.

If I can find something similar to that with non-rigid LATCH (more to secure the seat when he’s not in it) I’ll be happy.

If not, what he has works.

My daughter is 5 and still in her front facing convertible Clek Fllo which fits in the MS really well. She’s about to grow out of it due to shoulder height though, she’s about 46” tall.

@Jard , please do respond back. My very tall 5 year old struggles with his seat belt due to the width of our current booster. I'm very interested in finding something narrower.

Eagerly watching this thread! :)

- Graco TurboBooster LX
- Maxi-Cosi Rodifix
- Diono Monterey XT
- Diono Monterey 4 DXT

I did some test-fitting yesterday.

I took a bunch of pictures but will need some time to go back through them all.

I tested:
- Peg Perego Viaggo Flex 120 (high back booster, no option to remove the back)
- Maxi Cosi Rodifix (high back booster, no option to remove the back)
- Diono Monterey 4DXT (can be used as high back or or backless)
- Graco Turbobooster LX (can be used as high back or or backless)

- The two seats I tested that a kid can use without any kind of seatbelt extender are
* Peg Perego Viaggo Flex 120
* Maxi Cosi Rodiflex

I misread the owner's manual originally. You aren't prevented from using rigid LATCH with a booster to keep the seat in place, but you can't use LATCH only with a heavier kid. With that being said, using rigid LATCH on the Peg Perego or Maxi Cosi prevented my 5yo from being able to buckle herself in. Using rigid LATCH just positions the seat in such a way that the buckle is obstructed. In 6 months, she might be able to do it when she gets a bit bigger and stronger.

Both of those seats work okay without using the rigid LATCH and my 5 yo could buckle and unbuckle herself. Unfortunately, they are both expensive ($200 for Maxi Cosi and $300 for Peg Perego). They both have an extremely narrow base - 12" or under - that lets them fit in the narrow space in the MS rear seat.

This might not apply to everyone. My criteria were finding a booster where I could use LATCH to keep it in place when a kid isn't in it, and a booster where a 5 yo can buckle and unbuckle herself without using any kind of extender.

For now, I will keep my 5 yo in her front-facing Clek Fllo and my 7 yo will be in the Peg Perego since I already had it. In 6 months, when the 5 yo truly grows out of the Fllo I'll switch her over to a booster and reevaluate then.

So still looking for a booster (high back or backless) that has a very narrow base - 12" or under - and non-rigid latch...I haven't found it yet!