Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New P3D vs Demo P100D

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Well, it depends on many factors... These are not the same cars at all.

If you absolutely need the latest geek feature from the firmware, or if you want to charge 400km in half an hour, buy a 3.

If you need your car for long holiday family trips with three children an luggage, get a S.

If you have a tiny parking spot, get a 3.

If you want the fastest acceleration ever, get a S with ludicrous.

Etc etc... personally, I need lot of trunk space, the 3 would never be an option for me... These cars just don’t compare.

Well, it depends on many factors... These are not the same cars at all.

If you absolutely need the latest geek feature from the firmware, or if you want to charge 400km in half an hour, buy a 3.

If you need your car for long holiday family trips with three children an luggage, get a S.

If you have a tiny parking spot, get a 3.

If you want the fastest acceleration ever, get a S with ludicrous.

Etc etc... personally, I need lot of trunk space, the 3 would never be an option for me... These cars just don’t compare.

Hi Galinette, thank you for the analysis. I do need trunk space for stroller, and the P100D has Ludicrous included. I guess I will sacrafice the charging speed and geek features and save 10K on the demo P100D. :)

It depends. The P100D isn't new for whatever that's worth, the S is a larger vehicle (pros and cons), it is arguably better looking, it will be faster in a straight line but slower around curves and not able to be tracked. Charging can't take advantage of Supercharger V3, and the tech in general is a little older but includes more stuff (like air suspension etc.). I much prefer how my P3D feels compared to the S cars I've driven but I think that's a personal choice.

Depends. Having owned 3 Model Ss (including the Performance version) I am currently enjoying my P3D. Being ~1,000 lbs. lighter means it drives and handles different than the Model S.

I love the Model S. I love the Model 3 and am enjoying the change right now. You should probably drive both before deciding.

Reactions: azjohn
It comes down to personal preference and requirements. You need to drive both and then decide on the size you want. Due to the stroller requirement you need to test it in both. Also when it comes to child seats make sure you test both sides of the rear seat. If using isofix I find the S on one side is too tight for standard isofix and wide car seats. I finally found one with soft latch so it gives a bit more room between isofix and seat belt socket and my 4 year old can now buckle himeself up but try any seats you have or indend to get beforehand. Not seen or tried the 3 so can’t comment on that as much as I like it. Remember if using car seats with harness then normally fine but once you get to the point you can’t use harness due to size/weight and need to use the seat belt then this can affect what you can use on one side of the rear seat.

Hi everyone,

Should I get a new P3D or a demo 2018 P100D with 13000 km on it? The demo unit P100D is about 10K cheaper than the P3D. BTW I am in Canada. Many thanks.

Not sure if you or Telsa know this but anything over 12k km can no longer be sold as a demo unit. It is now a used car and will be sold as a used car to you.
I found this out when shopping for demos a few years ago, not a Tesla.
I really don't know exactly what the impact of this is but you may want to ask around

P3D advantages:
  • Handling
  • Supercharger V3
  • Track Mode
  • Autopilot Hardware V3 (I think production has already switched to HW3.0 and they will announce it in mid-April)
SP100D advantages:
  • Power liftgate
  • Hepa filter
  • Air suspension
  • Cargo space

Last edited: