TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC
Start a Discussionhttps://teslamotorsclub.com/tmc/tags/

New Paint Tesla should consider!?

Discussion in 'Model S' started by Peteybabes, Nov 30, 2016.

?

Should we push to make this an option?

Poll closed Dec 14, 2016.
  1. Yes, this would be an awesome alternative along with potential Solar Roof on the cars

23.1%
  2. No, this has not had enough research or hasn't been proven to be effective

76.9%
  1. Peteybabes

Peteybabes redneck drivin' a tesla...

Hello, this morning i ran across an article from another magazine publication i get about a new paint that can turn the sun's energy into electricity!

the link is here: Paint Converts Solar Heat to Electricity : PaintSquare News

i wonder if this could become a cost effective option if produced in great enough quantity?

2. CHG-ON

CHG-ON Still in love after all these miles

I would not be willing to pay for it at this point.

3. BluestarE3

BluestarE3 Active Member

As a person who rarely washes his car, something like this would place an undue burden on me lest the electrical generative potential of my car is diminished by an accumulation of dirt.

4. Peteybabes

Peteybabes redneck drivin' a tesla...

Well it appears that this converts solar heat into energy rather than by solar light...so a dirty likely wouldn't be an issue.

5. Drewflux

Drewflux Member

Its an intresting technology, though still needs way more research before it would be good for automotive applications. large flat surfaces might be viable within a few years.

6. EV-lutioin

EV-lutioin Active Member

Cool, Imagine how much heat the surface of a car produces here in the Central Valley, CA when it is 110' F in the summer! Harness that power!!!

7. DarkMatter

DarkMatter Member

It's okay, it won't do much. Thermoelectric junctions like they talk about in the article work over temperature differential. Since the car would be almost entirely all the same temperature there would be very little or no energy to recover.

But, I hear you say, what about when the air conditioning is on and it's hot outside? Well, in that case it would just make the air conditioner work harder and then return a small amount of the energy to the battery. It would be like driving around with a wind turbine on top of the car.