Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New Petition to White House Requesting Direct Tesla Sales in All States

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Signed in the 90k's. This is a reform issue that both liberals and conservatives could in theory get behind. It's one of the many businesses where the commerce clause of the constitution has long been egregiously violated by state level business interests.

Prohibiting the states from restricting interstate commerce is perhaps the earliest and most fundamental purpose of the constitution but unless it's challenged in federal court it just happens since it's obviously profitable if businesses can protect themselves from competition using state law.

I think fighting Tesla will ultimately prove a fatal mistake for the dealers since Tesla would have been happy with very narrowly crafted laws like they offered in Texas. If this goes to the courts the entire category of laws may be struck down. Even under those conditions it wouldn't change much right away since existing franchise agreements would still apply, but it would help the cause of free market reform. Maybe then somebody will notice that the same thing applies to medical insurance and other businesses.

Just out of curiosity. I am not an expert on the laws in Texas but from what I understand, the laws make it illegal for Tesla employees to answer people's questions correct? Could Tesla not just take it to court on the grounds of it violating 1st amendment rights?

Just out of curiosity. I am not an expert on the laws in Texas but from what I understand, the laws make it illegal for Tesla employees to answer people's questions correct? Could Tesla not just take it to court on the grounds of it violating 1st amendment rights?

I agree, which part of the US constitution do you want to go after: 1st amendment or Interstate commerce clause, so many options, so many restrictions on the free market and personal rights to protect.

I agree, which part of the US constitution do you want to go after: 1st amendment or Interstate commerce clause, so many options, so many restrictions on the free market and personal rights to protect.

Yes, but someone (individual, group, company, even feds) has to file suit. It has not happened yet. If there is no challenge then the current condition (laws) stand.

I am not a lawyer and just own a small business so I do not understand all the 'ins and outs' of the situation, I admit. However, it strikes me as odd that there have been no court challenges that I am aware of to date.

Not really sure what to think about the Tesla-petition being there together with four white supremacy-petitions that appeared in some kind of orchestrated way (160 people working together). Reported them.

What do you mean with "together"? It seems you are referring to a few petitions currently close to the top of the "All Petitions" list, but those have only very few votes, and aren't in any way "together" with Tesla's petition.

What do you mean with "together"? It seems you are referring to a few petitions currently close to the top of the "All Petitions" list, but those have only very few votes, and aren't in any way "together" with Tesla's petition.

What I meant to say is that if such ludricous petitions can be put online (amazing that they still haven't been taken down) it degrades other, good petitions. But my thought is a bit fat-fetched, never mind. I went off-topic anyway.

Love that petition, Krugerrand. Two things especially:

1. "Franchise laws are designed to prevent this type of price gouging". Right. They're in place to encourage stealership price gouging, instead.

2. Number of sign-ups since its inception on June 28. Man oh man, what a roll that one's on!