Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New Petition to White House Requesting Direct Tesla Sales in All States

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It's great that petition is up. The White House can see the support for both sides of the issue. Someone make sure to save a snapshot of that on the last day. Bring a copy of the "for and against" to the Texas legislature when it's time to consider an amendment.

everyone should take a snapshot. This may turn into a long state by state fight. I would not get over confident. We have three long weeks before the time limit expires.

I figure it might be handy to have this on record at TMC...

20130707_TeslaPetitions.png

The second petition (NADA one) is illogical. All the power to TESLA if they can make 50% profit off of me or other people who purchase their product. No one is forcing me to buy the product. In addition, following the logic of the second petition, if TM went with a dealer network they would still have the opportunity to make 50% profit as a manufacturer and the people (dealers) 'protecting' me from this sinister car manufacturer would be adding at least 10% more. (actually even probably more than that because we all know dealers charge over invoice for sought after cars).

Well it's just way beyond rational. By their logic, the automaker shouldn't be allowed to make 50% profit on its creation. Instead it should give half of that to someone else. Just because.

Apparently the dealers association is a communist plot.

If Tesla really was able to make 50% margins, then that would be an extremely attractive opportunity to the competition. Someone would in due course come in and undercut them. The competitors would duke it out and the consumer would benefit. That's how economics work.

We all know the dealers aren't making a rational argument and I'd imagine they know that but they really have little choice. They can't argue 'because we said so' or 'that's the way it has always been' so they have to come up with something that sounds plausible if you don't think about it.

The fact that this guy couldn't at least get a relative to sign the petition says a lot.
Yes: It says that he's actually pro-Tesla and wanted the petition to remain with 1 signature to show how ludicrous the anti-Tesla argument is. That's also why his phrasing is as ridiculous as it is, rather than what an actual dealer's association would write.
still funny, though.

Anyway, anyone have an idea about when we are going to get the White House response?

Yes: It says that he's actually pro-Tesla and wanted the petition to remain with 1 signature to show how ludicrous the anti-Tesla argument is. That's also why his phrasing is as ridiculous as it is, rather than what an actual dealer's association would write.
still funny, though.

Isn't that exactly what a dealer association rep would say, though?

"Of course we weren't really trying! The real one will be much better!"

Isn't that exactly what a dealer association rep would say, though?

"Of course we weren't really trying! The real one will be much better!"

If you think that petition was written by someone that wanted the petition to succeed, I have a bridge to sell you.
A dealer wouldn't mention good gross margin for Tesla.
A dealer would encourage other employees at the dealership to sign.
It was obviously written by a pro-Tesla shill and the link only given out in places that are overwhelmingly pro-Tesla.

and it's still funny. :)

It was obviously written by a pro-Tesla shill and the link only given out in places that are overwhelmingly pro-Tesla.

No, Mr. Turner (the creator of the petition) is not a pro-Tesla shill. The link was not given out in places that are overwhelmingly pro-Tesla. I found it by accident slipped amongst a bunch of twitters, equally positive and negative about Tesla, on a financial site. He only ever gave the link out once via his Twitter account (and then he made mention of Mr. Musk having his twitter account blocked) and I only ever posted it here. It's quite possible that others from here posted it elsewhere, but I've not seen it pop up anywhere else and I've been keeping my eyes open for it. Mr. Turner has posted a handful of comments in Tesla SA articles and just from those few comments it's quite apparent he's not pro-Tesla. He had every opportunity to post his petition link in those SA articles (indeed posted a comment in Mr. Cox's article that included the original Tesla petition link and did not post his petition link as a counter or shill measure.)

No, Mr. Turner (the creator of the petition) is not a pro-Tesla shill. The link was not given out in places that are overwhelmingly pro-Tesla. I found it by accident slipped amongst a bunch of twitters, equally positive and negative about Tesla, on a financial site. He only ever gave the link out once via his Twitter account (and then he made mention of Mr. Musk having his twitter account blocked) and I only ever posted it here. It's quite possible that others from here posted it elsewhere, but I've not seen it pop up anywhere else and I've been keeping my eyes open for it. Mr. Turner has posted a handful of comments in Tesla SA articles and just from those few comments it's quite apparent he's not pro-Tesla. He had every opportunity to post his petition link in those SA articles (indeed posted a comment in Mr. Cox's article that included the original Tesla petition link and did not post his petition link as a counter or shill measure.)

Interesting. He still has about two weeks to get more signatures. It would be nice to see it sit there with '1' or very few signatures as it expires.