Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New Petition to White House Requesting Direct Tesla Sales in All States

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
That's a nice touch that #100,000 is from Texas. Not sure if Tesla can offer something beyond symbolic value, though, since this is a bit like voting.

Meanwhile we are just a few hundred signatures from "advancing" to position #8 on the petitions list. :)

It appears that on the Popular Petitions page it lists even old petitions, so it would be advantageous to get even more than 100k signatures for the Tesla petition.
Popular Petitions | We the People: Your Voice in Our Government

Keep encouraging people to sign the petition and let's see if we can reach 150k signatures. That would make the Tesla petition #3 in the Popular list.
The ones still listed are ones that the WH has not responded to, but hasn't eliminated because of a "violation" of their "terms of participation". I hope our petition falls off the list quickly due to an expedient response. :)

If anyone gets a free Tesla it should be the petition originator

Perhaps, but he did little to promote it. He initiated the petition on June 5. I found it on June 21 and became signer #238 then immediately initiated this thread. That's when the drive began accelerating. In any event, I felt a prize for #100,000 would be appropriate. Companies often perform similar gestures for milestone patrons. The granting of a prize would garner publicity for Tesla Motors. Elon usually doesn't overlook opportunities that could get media attention.

Terrific achievement getting the 100,000 sigs! I am just hopeful that we get a meaningful response. I am not certain if any of you have read some of the previous responses but they seem to simply be position statements with little or no action as follow up.

Hopefully we can get something more here. What would be appropriate? A legal challenge by the administration to the franchise laws? An executive order preventing violation of the commerce clause (seems redundant)? Any other ideas? I don't believe the feds can initiate legislation that would force states to allow Tesla to sell direct.

Terrific achievement getting the 100,000 sigs! I am just hopeful that we get a meaningful response. I am not certain if any of you have read some of the previous responses but they seem to simply be position statements with little or no action as follow up.

Hopefully we can get something more here. What would be appropriate? A legal challenge by the administration to the franchise laws? An executive order preventing violation of the commerce clause (seems redundant)? Any other ideas? I don't believe the feds can initiate legislation that would force states to allow Tesla to sell direct.

Just get the ICC to issue a statement, that if another state challenges (or lets its legistslators be influenced by their local Automotive Dealers Association), to try to curtail in any way ANY company from selling directly to consumers, the ICC will take that state to court, to get it overturned, and will exert the full force of the federal government, it deems needed (such as working with other government agencies to cut that states federal highway funding, you have to hit them where they feel it to get their attention).

Next, these outdated laws need to be challenged, and the NADA put out of business. which of course will happen anyway, as their dealer start going bankrupt because they want to live in the last century, not the current one. These are protectionist laws that protect the dealer, not the consumer, there is no place for them in 2013 and beyond... just like the Marines, they will have adept, improvise and overcome, if not, perish. That means embracing change, not challenging it, be an inovator, not a "rent seeker".

Depending on what the "position statement" exactly is, it could have some good amount of influence by itself.

I think the White House is also still thankful for Tesla not only paying back the loan very early, but also for achieving the purpose of the loan. And additionally building a great car. It is as much as ever an expressed government goal to support electric cars. So this is about much more than fairness towards innovation, and about much more than responding to a petition that has passed the 100k threshold.

Perhaps, but he did little to promote it. He initiated the petition on June 5. I found it on June 21 and became signer #238 then immediately initiated this thread.

Then it is you Curt who deserve a prize!!!

I mean you could have easily create another petition, promote it here and community would have had an extra 17 days to reach goal of 100.000 signatures:tongue:

But anyhow, this shows power of TMC. Without TMC community this petition wouldn't happened. Or happened not this fast.

The timing of this goes great with Obama speech about moving us forward in the energy department. Hopefully he sees it and not just some staff member there and he realizes that people have and want to make a change. Oh, and I think it's time the autodealers AND the automakers read the book:

WhoMovedMyCheeseCover.jpg