Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New Roadster Goodies for 2014

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I usually run my rears around 37-38psi and happy with the wear, flat and even with a little more on the inside due to the -camber.

Ok, I think we're saying the same thing. I'm running mine at 36psi, which seems to be close to ideal. The Tesla recommendation of 40psi is slightly overinflated to reduce rolling resistance while still staying close to ideal grip/wear.

BTW, some "color" on this announcement: I was speaking with someone within Tesla this week who said that when this news broke, they were in touch with folks on the engineering team. They were all a bit dumbfounded. Apparently, Elon made the commitment without a project in place in engineering. They are scrambling to catch up with the boss (as they apparently often do!).

Words to the wise...

BTW, some "color" on this announcement: I was speaking with someone within Tesla this week who said that when this news broke, they were in touch with folks on the engineering team. They were all a bit dumbfounded. Apparently, Elon made the commitment without a project in place in engineering. They are scrambling to catch up with the boss (as they apparently often do!).

Words to the wise...

Wow. You think he'd give them a heads up :). Definitely innovate on the fly at Tesla.

Words to the wise...

Hahaha. Which is exactly what some of us thought. Directional. Elon speaks. Everyone scrambles.

Indeed.
Drop 2400mAh original Roadster cells and mount Model S'~3300mAh cells from 2012 and voila 345 EPA range.
Add in 7% annual improvement and use ~3800mAh cells of today and voila 386 EPA range.
Add some "Elon salt" and voila range over 400miles.
Remember some owners got over 300miles out of original Roadster.

Remember when Model S was supposed to be 300 miles? Tesla doesn't say that anymore, either.
Not entirely accurate.

Your Questions Answered | Tesla Motors
On fresh load, this page shows 306 miles per charge. The default settings are Highway, 55mph, 70° (presumably F) with AC off, Model S.

- - - Updated - - -

I'm still in the 'don't care the exact number' camp - he clearly jumped the gun and now his team are likely scrambling to put real info together, after a collective groan of 'Elonnnnn!!!' when he made the announcement.
I'm even more positive and less picky than bonnie on this one. Taking care of the Roadster owners (in a good way) is what I want to see from Tesla. Because I want to see the Roadsters rolling for many years to come and because it reflects on how they will likely treat owners of Model S, Model X, etc. as they become "not the newest model".

- - - Updated - - -

Model S owners might look to see how Roadster owners are treated as an indication of how they will be treated when Model X comes out.
Indeed.

- - - Updated - - -

A little nit-picky, but the quote did say 'about 400', not 'at 400'. Estimate vs. a promise from where I sit. But yes, everyone seems to be taking that as a promise. We (those who aren't so new here) know Elon spoke before the engineering team had the work done. He spoke up in an interview, hasn't repeated the information since - we know to take it with a grain of salt. That's why I've repeatedly been saying that I took the statement to be one of intent or 'directional', and nothing more.

Unfortunately, the more it gets repeated, the more people will believe it was a promise. So, just like I stop to correct people when they talk about our litigious society and use the McDonald's coffee case as an example, I'm going to be like a dinosaur on a tasty morsel over this one. :)

Rahrrr!!!
And now I'm going to have to disagree with this one. :)

Elon needs to throttle this stuff back a bit. I like his openness. I like his energy. But as a public company he needs to reign it in a bit. Roadster owners might "get" that it was an estimate and not something to obsess over. Shareholders and government-affiliated entities won't.

Not entirely accurate.
Your Questions Answered | Tesla Motors
On fresh load, this page shows 306 miles per charge. The default settings are Highway, 55mph, 70° (presumably F) with AC off, Model S.

I think that is a realistic range given those conditions.

People constantly ask me "How far can you go?" My answer, "It depends primarily on speed, topography, and weather."

That's not the same as a battery replacement option, is it?
Oh good. Now my question is on-topic... :)

Has anyone heard anything officially from Tesla on the following topic?
George Blankenship said:
We have received many requests for a Battery Replacement Option. We are happy to now offer this option for all three battery variants. This option will provide you a new battery anytime after the end of the eighth year at a fixed price. Prices are as follows: $8,000 for the 40 kWh battery, $10,000 for the 60 kWh battery, and $12,000 for the 85 kWh battery. You will be able to purchase this additional option through your MyTesla page in the near future.
2013 Model S Price Increase | Blog | Tesla Motors

Apparently "near future" means "in a couple years or more".

The reason it comes to mind is because I'm curious whether the final, formal offer will include some commentary about allowing for an upgrade to newer technology (be it faster charge/discharge rate, better degradation, more capacity, lighter weight, or whatever) for a fee.

Oh good. Now my question is on-topic... :)

Has anyone heard anything officially from Tesla on the following topic?

2013 Model S Price Increase | Blog | Tesla Motors

Apparently "near future" means "in a couple years or more".

The reason it comes to mind is because I'm curious whether the final, formal offer will include some commentary about allowing for an upgrade to newer technology (be it faster charge/discharge rate, better degradation, more capacity, lighter weight, or whatever) for a fee.

Come on, we all know that "near future" in Tesla terms means 2 years minimum :p

No, that's off-topic. You're in the Roadster forum, brianman.
I disagree on the first sentence and was aware of the second, hence my point about the bridge comment that I quoted.

I think it's entirely on-topic w/r/t to the larger umbrella question of how Tesla is dealing with battery replacements across the product line.

At an event I went to last year, there was a small but measurable difference in top speed @ 1/2 mile for the Model S with and without passenger. We're talking a few mph. The 1/4 mile times did not appear to be affected by a passenger. Probably Roadster is similar, but I've not tried it.

Interesting. On my trip to Toronto Motorsports park 1/4 mile strip last September I had my best and worst runs of the evening 4 minutes apart. The difference was having a passenger. 12.77 @ 110.34 mph and 12.417 @ 111.57mph.

I disagree. The Model S noise is so great, we should keep the 3 Roadster sub-forums for Roadster only. Take any larger umbrella issues to the Tesla as a company, or any of the many overpopulated Model S forums, please.

Just wait until the Model III takes off and this forum gets flooded with new people. We will all be crying then :)

Overall battery replacement probably does deserve it's own thread.

We set up separate areas of the forum for a reason - so that people looking for Roadster information could go to the Roadster area, Model S to the Model S area, etc.

If people want to talk about Tesla Motor's overall battery replacement policies, that belongs in the Tesla Motors section. THIS area is for Roadster discussions. If we don't try to keep at least a little organization, we might as well just have one giant thread and let people post away about anything.

Model S and Tesla Motor battery replacement discussions are off-topic here, except as it directly relates to the Roadster 400 mile pack battery discussion.