Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New Roadster Goodies for 2014

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm not sure of the Roadster motor dimensions. From this image Tesla Roadster #55 and google telling me that the vertical part of PowerBuilt 1500 Pound Engine Leveler is 7.2", I measured the main portion of the roadster motor as 10" in diameter. I went to the Tesla store and measured the Model S drivetrain. It's slighthly less than 31" wide including the plumbing for the liquid cooling; The Model S motor is 11.5" in diameter. Taking those dimensions and this image, http://www.technologyreview.com/sites/default/files/legacy/0908_hack_x600.jpg, I roughly mocked up what the Model S drivetrain would look like in the Roadster after rotating it 90 degrees. From this very rough process, it looks like the Model S drivetrain could fit in the Roadster. The Model S drivetrain is quite small compared to the Roadster's because it's liquid cooled, they used much newer/better IGBT's in their inverter and it wasn't Tesla's first rodeo.

ModelSDrivetrainInRoadster0.png
ModelSDrivetrainInRoadster1.png

Regen and integration with ABS system need to be considered as well.

Roadster PEM acts as charger too, whereas MS uses separate charger modules. If MS PEM was used, one would need to find a way to get MS charger to talk to Roadster pack too...

Anyways, I too heard rumors that such a beast existed in some form at some point.

I like more range, with more Range means less stress on the overall pack, less heat built up from use, and longer life overall. I'm happy the way I have my Roadster dialed in for handling, although quicker would be great, its still quick enough for me and still is thrilling as the first day I drove it.

The next generation Roadster will most likely have all our wants and needs fulfilled and then some.

Less weight also means less stress on the pack

Not really, when the pack has more capacity there's less stress on each individual cell. Also this means less time of the pack being pulled down below 30% SOC and less need to do full 100% Range mode charges. Its the same in essence of the Nissan Leaf vs. the Roadster at its current range. Leaf owners have to do full 100% charges and always drain their packs down to a very low, sometimes single digit SOC values.

Heat will be allot less for each cell since less amps has to be pulled, the SOC will also reside above 50% longer since the pack has more range/capacity. Ever see how fast your pack heats up below 50% SOC? Also pulling hard from the pack below 50% is not that good for the cells.