Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New S/X sunroof- 5x more light in

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I wouldn't say that's consensus at all. I like things bright - certainly don't mind sunlight. Don't want the heat necessarily, but supposedly the coating on this glass helps with that.

But I agree; I've wondered why we don't see the same electronically-dimmable glass they use on the Boeing Dreamliner more often. Would be amazing on this roof!
Other mfr have the electrochromatic roofs, porsche for example

does your S not have cabin overheat protection? Not sure why you need tint if you have it. My car is always nice and cool when I get in it outside in the summer in Dallas
It's not so much the heat of the car when I get in it.... it's the radiating heat that I feel while driving from the sunroof. After I added clear ceramic tint, the heat pretty much disappeared.

FWIW, my daily commute is 2-3 hours a daily.. so it's not like a quick 15 minute drive home from work.

Reactions: Propofoln
I always thought the glass roofs on the P100D and Plaid I've driven were too dark to really enjoy as a glass roof, so this sounds kinda cool. That said....don't most Tesla owners just tint their windows anyway? Wonder how many will get this clearer roof tinted. Also curious about the actual weight difference...I doubt these new roofs would be something Tesla offers as a retrofit?

It's not so much the heat of the car when I get in it.... it's the radiating heat that I feel while driving from the sunroof. After I added clear ceramic tint, the heat pretty much disappeared.

FWIW, my daily commute is 2-3 hours a daily.. so it's not like a quick 15 minute drive home from work.

good to know. I remember that if I give in to my impulses and order