Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New screens now available

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It has more to do with the age of the screen assembly itself than the car. Brand new ones have come right out of the box with the yellow border.

This absolutely makes sense as it seems more age from assembly related than time in service for the car.

I still believe they have a new part number where this issue is fixed because we know of no 2019 cars with yellow screens. Would love to know the MCU model number used in 2019 cars.

So has anybody used one of these as a Gen1 MCU replacement?

It certainly appears to be the same screen... I assume I'd just have to move that module and the associated ribbon cables over...

Innolux:
g170j1-le1-1.jpg

Mine:
MCULCDBack-Small.png

They're on eBay for ~$180 new...

ON EDIT: It appears that the ones advertised asLCD & touchscreen are ~$230... so I assume the others are LCD only...

ON EDIT #2: So the touchscreens that appear to come with the Innolux replacements have a very different single ribbon cable setup:
s-l1600.jpg

Last edited:
So has anybody used one of these as a Gen1 MCU replacement?

It certainly appears to be the same screen... I assume I'd just have to move that module and the associated ribbon cables over...

Innolux:
g170j1-le1-1.jpg

Mine:
View attachment 459685

They're on eBay for ~$180 new...

ON EDIT: It appears that the ones advertised asLCD & touchscreen are ~$230... so I assume the others are LCD only...

ON EDIT #2: So the touchscreens that appear to come with the Innolux replacements have a very different single ribbon cable setup:
s-l1600.jpg

I got super excited at the beginning of this post and super disappointed by the end of it lol.

Totally disagree. Tesla has admitted they had a problem with the screens. They yellowing isn't due to "wear and tear"...it happens to brand new screens which have never been used just sitting in a car because it is a de-lamination of the layers in the screen (most likely due to temperature). This is a design defect, Tesla has acknowledged it, and is designing a new part/new manufacturer to meet the required specifications...
Thanks - how do I get them to acknowledge this isn’t a wear & tear, but a warranty issue? That I’d pay for this is total BS

Thanks - how do I get them to acknowledge this isn’t a wear & tear, but a warranty issue? That I’d pay for this is total BS
There are a number of posts about the “yellow border.” Some people were successful taking Tesla to arbitration, some not. You can search for these posts to see which approaches worked. In so far as I know, no one has been successful in having the screen replaced for this for free except in the very early days of the issue. Tesla created a cure for the issue by literally re-curing the glue using a UV light, and that is the way the majority of cars have been/were fixed. Submit a service request and thhe SC should do this at no charge.

I have not heard of this issue occurring with new cars. What year and model do you have?

For the older cars, there were other issues with the MCU as well that encouraged some (including yours truly) to buy the MCU 2 upgrade (eMMC IO limit (eventually that became a recall), and just general slowness because the later software loads were optimized for newer chips than what were in MCU 1). MCU2 upgrade also upgraded the Instrument Cluster (IC) computer and equipped the car with the latest AP Hardware (HW3), so it was actually useful for many reasons.

Just picked up a 2018 MS from Tesla and sold my M3. The screen MS has the yellow ring and very weak color and contrast compared to the M3. Is this true of everyone's MS? I have a service appointment in a month. Any chance they can fix the drab colors and weak contrast? They said they'd do a treatment to fix the yellow ring.