Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New SDG&E rate: EV-TOU-5

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I agree EV TOU 5 is a no brainer for any Tesla owner, and should move EV TOU 2 users into it automatically..

I'm going Solar so wondering how the $16 work since I was planning to send energy at 28.6cents and charging at 22.8cents, so if it is now 9 cents I guess the $16 charge cannot be offset?
I don't think the $16 charge can be offset by solar credits, but if you signed up for the EVCC rebates this year, they gave $500 account credit per EV registered, and that more than offsets the $16 per month...

I agree EV TOU 5 is a no brainer for any Tesla owner, and should move EV TOU 2 users into it automatically..

I'm going Solar so wondering how the $16 work since I was planning to send energy at 28.6cents and charging at 22.8cents, so if it is now 9 cents I guess the $16 charge cannot be offset?

You will as other poster noted now have two monthly fixed charges ...one for solar and now the $16 for TOU5 ....with fixed $26 does the calcs still work in your favor ?

• Disagree
Reactions: Numonefan
I don't see why you woundn't be able to offset it with solar. What you can't offset with solar is the approximately $10/month minimum bill.

I don't think the $16 charge can be offset by solar credits, but if you signed up for the EVCC rebates this year, they gave $500 account credit per EV registered, and that more than offsets the $16 per month...

You will as other poster noted now have two monthly fixed charges ...one for solar and now the $16 for TOU5 ....with fixed $26 does the calcs still work in your favor ?

Thx guys. Wow, I've been doing math for the last month and always assumed SDG&E charges would only go up now down!!
Now I have to revisit my math and see what makes sense with the new rate structures (but they will probably increase for the next 25 years)..

Yes I applied just in time for the EV rebate and was expecting $200, was shocked when I saw a bill credit of $500 (that's half the yearly electricity cost before I added the Tesla!).

Now with EV TOU 5 9 cents/KW and $500 credit (yearly??) it seems the solar ROI gets longer..

My understanding is once you have offset your usage the 28 cents you were getting per KW drops down to 2-3 cents for wholesale price, correct? So overproducing (in TOU fashion) is not desirable right?

That's not how it works. The $16/month is a fee. The $10/month is a minimum. So, to take an extreme example, if you signed up for this plan, but used no electricity at all, and you did not have solar generation, you'd only pay $16/month. (I think this minimum is part of net metering, so it's doubly-contrived example.)

SDG&E has a very strange and confusing way of accounting for the $10/month minimum on your bill, but it's just a minimum. If your bill is above $10/month, it doesn't make any difference.

Last edited:
  • Helpful
Reactions: P85_DA
That's not how it works. The $16/month is a fee. The $10/month is a minimum. So, to take an extreme example, if you signed up for this plan, but used no electricity at all, and you did not have solar generation, you'd only pay $16/month. (I think this minimum is part of net metering, so it's doubly-contrived example.)

SDG&E has a very strange and confusing way of accounting for the $10/month minimum on your bill, but it's just a minimum. If your bill is above $10/month, it doesn't make any difference.

That's even better!

OK with EV TOU 5 I calculated $250 savings yearly vs EV TOU 2.
If I drive more I save even more..

• Informative
@markb1 side question since you have solar.
If I do go solar now, how does the $500 EV climate credit works?
Do they write me a check at the true up or that $500 will keep getting rolled until I do get a positive bill?

My understanding (though I haven't tried it myself) is you can contact SDG&E and request a check, but otherwise it will keep rolling forward. I'm not sure if you need to do this after your true up, or if you can do it as soon as the credit shows up on your account.

No luck with SDG&E to change to EV-TOU-5, locking in for another 11 months! Bummer

FYI.. The first EV-TOU-2 bill is in and if that month was any indication here is the breakdown:

KWH:
53 on peak
146 off peak
371 super off peak

570 total

DR schedule: $199.40
EV-TOU-2: $154.87 (matches the actual bill)
EV-TOU-5: $119.32

Wow..

• Informative
Where did those numbers come from? The calculator only gives yearly amounts, as far as I know. But those amounts are clearly for the month.

I have made a spreadsheet to compare rates and since I had those kWh for a month I wanted to see how my bill would have been on each plan :)
The calculator is not useful for me since it is before Tesla and also before I changed some habits of consumption because of TOU.

Reactions: markb1
5 years after you installed solar. I think it's technically on the anniversary of your permission to operate date. I'm already there, so this new plan was a no-brainer for me.
I think this depends on whether the solar customer is NEM or NEM-ST. NEM-ST is 5 years from PTO date, assuming you moved to a TOU plan before November last year. NEM customers may be grandfathered for 20 years, but I didn't pay that close attention since I am not in that boat, unfortunately.

I think this depends on whether the solar customer is NEM or NEM-ST. NEM-ST is 5 years from PTO date, assuming you moved to a TOU plan before November last year. NEM customers may be grandfathered for 20 years, but I didn't pay that close attention since I am not in that boat, unfortunately.

I’m an NEM (aka net metering 1.0) customer. I’m grandfathered into NEM for 20 years, but I was only grandfathered into the old TOU hours for five years. That much I am sure of.

• Informative
Reactions: gaswalla
I'm not seeing the EV-TOU-5 as an option on my account.

I do see DR (Standard), TOU-DR-P, TOU-DR, TOU,DR2, TOU-DR1, & DR-SES.

Any ideas how to get the EV-TOU-5 to be an option?

If you’re not already on an EV plan, the process for signing up is different. See:

Electric Vehicle Plans | San Diego Gas & Electric

But if you just want to see the EV plans in the comparison tool, I’m not sure what the process is. Somehow SDG&E needs to flag your account as being eligible for EV plans.

I was just looking at this and crunching the numbers for EV-TOU2 vs EV-TOU5. Seems that the break-even point is right around 110 kwh. I'm set to save quite a bit with switching to this!

Thanks for the link on how to switch to an EV plan, i've been looking for that!

I was just looking at this and crunching the numbers for EV-TOU2 vs EV-TOU5. Seems that the break-even point is right around 110 kwh. I'm set to save quite a bit with switching to this!

Thanks for the link on how to switch to an EV plan, i've been looking for that!
I started on this plan on Monday. Since I already have the 4-9pm peak rates (due to having solar over 5 years now), it's a no brainier.

Interestingly, on the old EV-TOU2 rate plan, off peak and super off peak are essentially the same during "winter months" from October to May (less than a penny apart). With this new plan superoffpeak are still $0.093 during winter, so we will get an almost 2.4x credit multiple on any solar generated during the day from 6am - 4pm, when used after midnight. :)

Reactions: gaswalla and P85_DA
There's a drawback to this plan if you have solar, which is that super off peak is midnight-2pm on weekends and holidays. Additionally, every day in March and April has an additional super off peak period from 10am-2pm. So that's going to reduce the value of your solar.

I didn't initially consider this, but I think I'll still save with EV-TOU-5.