Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New SDG&E rate: EV-TOU-5

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Wondering if I could get some advice. Just got a Model 3 and thinking of switching plans to EVTOU5. We don’t have solar yet but maybe considering it. Is EVTOU5 generally the best plan to be on for charging the Model 3 during super off peak and potentially getting solar in the next year?

Correct, the rates during 12-6A are the lowest offered by SDG&E.

Can someone shed some light on my PW questions?

if on ev tou 5 with solar, can i charge my battery during generation and use the pw battery during 4-9pm?

just trying to understand the workings behind it :)

That's basically how "Self-powered" setting in the PW controls works.

You can also try to optimize it per your TOU rates, under "Advanced".

Because I'm a net generator over the course of the year, I just keep mine in "Self-powered" and use up after sunset what I stored in the batteries during the day.

With the exception of "Storm Watch" mode, you will not be able to export from your PWs to the grid (but Solar can still export to the grid after the PWs get full).

• Helpful
Reactions: bmms8 and RabidYak
Anyone with Tesla solar panels in San Diego?

please PM me as I’d like to hear your feedback.

I can get the x large with Tesla or go with baker for the same price, difference being that Tesla includes 2 PWs. Thank you!

My baker rep is also telling me that the standard solar rate would be better than evtou5. Anyone else choose the standard solar rate rather than the charging rate? I know everyone has different usage and needs, im just curious :)

My baker rep is also telling me that the standard solar rate would be better than evtou5. Anyone else choose the standard solar rate rather than the charging rate? I know everyone has different usage and needs, im just curious :)

I am on TOU5 and I ended up paying about $350/yr the last 2 years. I have 2 EVs about 10k mileage each. I have a 6.2 KW System, no PW. I designed my system for about 80% coverage. That way, I don't have to deal with future battery replacement. And get the cheap electricity for the cars.

Did Tesla priced all the PW permits and new installing requirements for CA in 2020? That will drive the price up.

If I do an install now, I might get a 5 KW system with 1 PW, and be on TOU5. Let the PW run during 4-9 pm, then get back on grid after the PW is drained. And have my cars charge on cheap electricity at midnight.

Reactions: bkp_duke
I am on TOU5 and I ended up paying about $350/yr the last 2 years. I have 2 EVs about 10k mileage each. I have a 6.2 KW System, no PW. I designed my system for about 80% coverage. That way, I don't have to deal with future battery replacement. And get the cheap electricity for the cars.

Did Tesla priced all the PW permits and new installing requirements for CA in 2020? That will drive the price up.

If I do an install now, I might get a 5 KW system with 1 PW, and be on TOU5. Let the PW run during 4-9 pm, then get back on grid after the PW is drained. And have my cars charge on cheap electricity at midnight.

I understand the finances of this argument, and agree with them.

To play devil's advocate, financial-first planning results in shifting the carbon footprint to night, when baseload power plant production is covering the car charging, whatever that mix of renewables vs. fossil fuels might be.

Not a criticism, mind you, so don't take it as such. Just a point of information for anyone that might be looking for maximum reduction in their carbon footprint.

Reactions: bmms8

Thanks for the insight. Ive been on TOU5 for sometime now as well. I think my rep was comparing SES winter rates with TOU5 summer rates accidentally lol. Looking from an apples to apples comparison TOU5 does most certainly make sense which is what i will stick with.

Shoutout to @bkp_duke for their super informative posts ^^^^

Thanks for the insight. Ive been on TOU5 for sometime now as well. I think my rep was comparing SES winter rates with TOU5 summer rates accidentally lol. Looking from an apples to apples comparison TOU5 does most certainly make sense which is what i will stick with.

Shoutout to @bkp_duke for their super informative posts ^^^^

If you have enough solar, or don't drive very much, EV-TOU-5 might not make sense, due to the $16/month fee. In my case, it's worth it, since I have only a 3 kW system. The next cheapest plan for me is EV-TOU-2.

If you have enough solar, or don't drive very much, EV-TOU-5 might not make sense, due to the $16/month fee. In my case, it's worth it, since I have only a 3 kW system. The next cheapest plan for me is EV-TOU-2.

i use about 12,500 kWh with night time charging.
System produces about 15,000. Total usage is 25,000. Based on rough Calc I think tou 5 is best for me since half usage comes from charging at .09

My grandfathered peak time of 12-6pm is about to expire. I checked SDGE's tool to compare other plans and EVTOU2 is significantly cheaper. The problem is it's probably biased by the last 6 months where I seldom drove. But who knows, this might actually be the new normal. I guess it's only a year commitment so I may choose TOU2 and see what happens next year.

My grandfathered peak time of 12-6pm is about to expire. I checked SDGE's tool to compare other plans and EVTOU2 is significantly cheaper. The problem is it's probably biased by the last 6 months where I seldom drove. But who knows, this might actually be the new normal. I guess it's only a year commitment so I may choose TOU2 and see what happens next year.

if you charge more than 180kw worth of ev a month then it’s better to stick to tou 5

if you charge more than 180kw worth of ev a month then it’s better to stick to tou 5

How do you figure?

There's no one crossover point that applies to everyone, particularly for those with solar. That's because the super-off-peak period extends to 2PM on weekends and holidays, and there's an extra 10AM-2PM super-off-peak period on every weekday in March and April. So it dramatically reduces value of solar on those days.

How do you figure?

There's no one crossover point that applies to everyone, particularly for those with solar. That's because the super-off-peak period extends to 2PM on weekends and holidays, and there's an extra 10AM-2PM super-off-peak period on every weekday in March and April. So it dramatically reduces value of solar on those days.

Ah so i was thinking both plans are the same but TOU5 gives cheaper super off peak with the $16 fee. 16/.09 is the simple math, which is incorrect as you mentioned because both plans aren't the same otherwise

Ah so i was thinking both plans are the same but TOU5 gives cheaper super off peak with the $16 fee. 16/.09 is the simple math, which is incorrect as you mentioned because both plans aren't the same otherwise

Both plans are otherwise the same. It's just that EV charging isn't the only thing that happens during super-off-peak. Solar generation is probably the biggest thing.

Bumping this thread.

Have a SR MY and a tri-CT on order.
4.2kw existing solar, and on the EV-TOU-5 SDGE plan.

Have a quote in with tesla to add another 4kw solar and either 1 or 2 PWs.
I understand the economics of the PW are not great, and do value the 'backup feature' somewhat, but not at full price.

We are in a tier 2 CPUC fire zone - are there potential SGIP remaining?
Since I would be buying both solar+PW from tesla, both seem eligible for the 26% federal rebate, good not great.

In 2020 usage:
produced: 7,200 kwH
used: 12,400 kwH (no EV, and used A/C less that we would have liked to)
imported: 5,200 kwH
cost: $1800/yr (~150/mo)

2021 predicted usage:
used: 16,000 kwH (accounting for additional human + EV).

Any thoughts/advice? Makes sense at add at a min. 4kw more panels?

Tesla is offering a 0.99% APR loan on solar+PW, so they way I am looking at it is to trade a monthly bill of ~$150 to SDGE for a 10 year loan to Tesla at ~$150/mo.
Factoring in the looming inflation, and this could be a money maker :)
And lastly, does anyone have data on a house sale with PWs? How much additional if any does this add?

Or am I Crazy? 🤣

Last edited:
I just had my house appraised for ReFi and the appraiser noted the solar and Powerwalls but did not make any adjustments to the value up or down based on their presence. He did inquire whether the solar was owned or lease/PPA. I assume not owning the solar outright could be a negative.

Reactions: bryan995
Hello to anyone still watching this thread,

I bought a model 3 and have been charging it in super off peak hours. I am on a non-EV plan, however I am unable to switch to one online. It appears to allow me to switch to any other non-EV plan but it won't let me click the "enroll" button for the EV-TOU* plans.

Does anyone know what might be going wrong?

PS: Cursor becomes a a 🚫 when I hover over the Enroll link for EV-TOU*

Hello to anyone still watching this thread,

I bought a model 3 and have been charging it in super off peak hours. I am on a non-EV plan, however I am unable to switch to one online. It appears to allow me to switch to any other non-EV plan but it won't let me click the "enroll" button for the EV-TOU* plans.

Does anyone know what might be going wrong?

PS: Cursor becomes a a 🚫 when I hover over the Enroll link for EV-TOU*

Figured it out with help from a mailing list at work.

Turns out you have to take ( or re-take in my case ) a survey where you should mention you have an EV. The option lights up immediately after that.

• Informative
Reactions: mociaf9