Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New Software Update Failed

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It's not odd to get updates so close together- they're different builds (bug fixes) rather than version updates. When a new version comes out you can expect to get a few updates over the following week or two, then they slow down.

Sometimes an update fails to install for no obvious reason, but usually it's because the owner is doing something with the car when it's installing. Leave it alone. Go far away from it. Best to let it install overnight (that's the default setting) so you're not tempted to "check on it".

I picked up my new S on Saturday. There was a pending update on it. When I got home I tried to install it but it failed. Been waiting since for it to come back but nothing yet. Still on 17.18.50.

It's not odd to get updates so close together- they're different builds (bug fixes) rather than version updates. When a new version comes out you can expect to get a few updates over the following week or two, then they slow down.

Sometimes an update fails to install for no obvious reason, but usually it's because the owner is doing something with the car when it's installing. Leave it alone. Go far away from it. Best to let it install overnight (that's the default setting) so you're not tempted to "check on it".
Had the car for over a year now and have had a number of updates but never more than one in the same month or two. ???

Had the car for over a year now and have had a number of updates but never more than one in the same month or two. ???
Then you've probably not been through more than one version update, from 8.0 to 8.1. Back in the 4.x, 5.x, 6.x, and 7.x days the builds flew fast and furious for a few weeks after each version came out, and then slowed down until the next version change.