Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New sound to me: rear right corner, upon first roll after long park

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

scottm

Legacy account
Jun 13, 2014
Canada
The sound happens after the car has been parked for a while (hours?), car could have been charging or not while parked, and it happens.

Leaving work for home is when I notice it most regularly... I put the car in Drive and as I ease my way forward out of the parking spot, just beginning to roll, I get the sound.... It won't happen for the remainder of the drive.

Let me try to describe it..

It seems to come from the right rear area of the car (but sounds travel funny in a car, so... ?).
I haven't had a passenger sit in the rear yet to further pinpoint the source by ear... but that's coming.

Sound has a distinct start and end to it, and lasts about 1 second. It's an electro-mechanical actuator type sound. It's a series of maybe 5 or 6 rapid concussive hits of a small muted cow bell, evenly spaced, and staccato-like. Not related to rolling speed, not a mechanical rolling speed related thing (like maybe a failing bearing... I know what those sound like). This sound is being controlled by a computer.

This is not the air suspension hissing and wheezing sounds of adjustment... which still happens at all around the car normally, and I'm getting normal ride height adjustments on command, and self adjusting as needed...

Ideas?

excellent idea! I will start there and see if she's gripping when parked... (lift the corner and see if I can spin the wheel by hand)

and releasing when driving... by pulling over after a minute of driving to see if that sucker has gotten hot beyond touch!