Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New SR+ Auto Line Change don't work

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Sanny

Jul 7, 2013
US
Tested autopilot in the new SR+ and couldn't make auto line change to work. Autosteer withing the lane works fine. When autosteer is enabled and the lane is clear, pressing the turn signal results in 1) nothing 2) sometimes in autosteer disengagement.

Anyone had similar issues?
Obviously signed for a service appointment, but maybe I'm just doing something wrong or there is an additional setting somewhere?

...auto line change to work...

The description of what you bought:

"Enables your car to steer, accelerate and brake automatically for other vehicles and pedestrians within its lane."

I agree with @Knightshade:

Enables your car to (steer) and (accelerate and brake automatically for other vehicles and pedestrians) within its lane.

and I interpret that as:

All the listed functions below that you bought are for within its lane:
1) steer
2) accelerate and brake automatically for other vehicles and pedestrians

What you bought is focusing on within its lane. If you want Auto Lane Change, you just need to pay more for it.

Tested autopilot in the new SR+ and couldn't make auto line change to work. Autosteer withing the lane works fine. When autosteer is enabled and the lane is clear, pressing the turn signal results in 1) nothing 2) sometimes in autosteer disengagement.

Anyone had similar issues?
Obviously signed for a service appointment, but maybe I'm just doing something wrong or there is an additional setting somewhere?

As the folks above me have said, you need to buy full self-driving for auto lane change and auto park.

But yeah, congrats on the SR+. I think it's an excellent value.

Hey guys, so I got my SR+ with basic AP on Sunday, one thing I'm having a little difficulty with is how to change lanes on the highway without AP totally disabling itself.

I turn on the blinker and make my turn, which requires some additional force because AP wants to keep me in my lane. I turn to the new lane but the added pressure I had to use to overcome AP has turned the system off. It makes changing lanes more difficult than it needs to be and then I need to re-enable AP manually again.

Anything I can do to make this smoother?

Hey guys, so I got my SR+ with basic AP on Sunday, one thing I'm having a little difficulty with is how to change lanes on the highway without AP totally disabling itself.

I turn on the blinker and make my turn, which requires some additional force because AP wants to keep me in my lane. I turn to the new lane but the added pressure I had to use to overcome AP has turned the system off. It makes changing lanes more difficult than it needs to be and then I need to re-enable AP manually again.

Anything I can do to make this smoother?

Nope....its a joke. Everyones answer is just "well upgrade to FSD". Its only $7k.... Now that FSD has auto lane change automatically there is literally no reason why AP doesnt have lane change with the blinker.

Nope....its a joke. Everyones answer is just "well upgrade to FSD". Its only $7k.... Now that FSD has auto lane change automatically there is literally no reason why AP doesnt have lane change with the blinker.

Of course there's a reason- the reason is that's not a feature of AP.

It was part of EAP- but everyone complained it was "too expensive" and they just wanted TACC and/or autosteer.

So Tesla got rid of EAP and made a cheaper offering with JUST TACC and autosteer- that's the new AP.

If you want the other features you need to buy FSD (which is only 7k if you wait till after delivery to add it, otherwise it's 5)

I think it would make sense to add semi-auto lane change (when the driver activates the blinker) to AP, but keep suggested/automatic lane changes as an FSD feature. This removes the annoyance of having to disable AP to change lanes while keeping meaningful differentiation between the products.

I think the issue is what the lane-change software does. If they could easily separate dumb-automatic and smart-automatic lane changes they could include it as a differentiator from the competition.

However, Tesla now offers "basic" AP to closer match the competition, but needs as many features as possible to get people to spend a lot more money on FSD.

I'm not asking basic AP to make a lane change for me, I'll do that. I'd just like not to have to wrestle with the steering wheel to make a lane change - and also not loose speed to make a lane change. I'd say either:

1) Turning on the blinker let's the system know you want to change, it disables auto steer but keeps you at the speed you're going. You can the re-enble auto steer.

2) Turning on the blinker let's the system know you want to change, it disables auto steer until you enter the new lane, then resumes auto steer. Still maintaining your speed.

The first option is essentially how my wife's honda seems to work. I think at least that should be easy and simple to do. Second option would be better but I understand if that blends in to much into the full self driving package.

Really I think it's a little unsafe for the car to slow down and force you to struggle with the wheel at the same time while turning. I don't think I'm asking for something crazy here....right?

Reactions: asianxtreme
Typically if you disengage autosteer by turning the wheel, TACC stays on (at least it always has on EAP cars)

So suggestion 1 is already how it works except the blinker is irrelevant, it disables when you turn the wheel enough and you can reenable it after you change lanes.

Are you saying on AP-only cars that both autosteer AND TACC fully disengage if you simply move the wheel to disable autosteer?

I'm not asking basic AP to make a lane change for me, I'll do that. I'd just like not to have to wrestle with the steering wheel to make a lane change - and also not loose speed to make a lane change. I'd say either:

1) Turning on the blinker let's the system know you want to change, it disables auto steer but keeps you at the speed you're going. You can the re-enble auto steer.

2) Turning on the blinker let's the system know you want to change, it disables auto steer until you enter the new lane, then resumes auto steer. Still maintaining your speed.

The first option is essentially how my wife's honda seems to work. I think at least that should be easy and simple to do. Second option would be better but I understand if that blends in to much into the full self driving package.

Really I think it's a little unsafe for the car to slow down and force you to struggle with the wheel at the same time while turning. I don't think I'm asking for something crazy here....right?

Typically if you disengage autosteer by turning the wheel, TACC stays on (at least it always has on EAP cars)

So suggestion 1 is already how it works except the blinker is irrelevant, it disables when you turn the wheel enough and you can reenable it after you change lanes.

Are you saying on AP-only cars that both autosteer AND TACC fully disengage if you simply move the wheel to disable autosteer?

I think he is saying once he hits the blinker that autosteer gets disabled but keep TACC on to maintain speed. This way he doesn't need to fight the wheel. This makes sense to me. I have EAP so this usually happens when I feel like auto lane change can't do it safely (e.g. cars really close together). Alternative is tapping brake but that disables both autosteer and TACC then loses speed too fast.

I would not want suggestion 2 implemented. Feel like you should re-enabled manually for safety.

Reactions: dhrivnak
Understand the wish, though am I correct in that there’s a way to do this now - albeit with beeps to ensure the driver knows autosteer activation state?

iirc, @Big-T this might work:
1) Turn on indicator,
2j move gear shift up one notch and let go. This will disable AP, you’ll get the chime, and start decelerating after a second or so
3) immediately move gear shift down *one* time to enable tacc. Should resume at previous speed. If you’re really quick you’ll minimize any deceleration jerkiness.
4) move lanes as normal
5) move gear shift down twice to re-engage AP

Yes, I little finicky and still requires re-enabling AP, though a lot smoother lane changes fhan applying more force to turn off AP via steering.

This is from a while ago, and might not work anymore though may help...?

I was bummed out as nowhere in the initial literature did it mention that lane change was no longer part of AutoPilot. In fact both the online manual and posted video says lane change IS part of AutoPilot. Only after opening a support ticket did I find out it is no longer included as part of AutoPilot. Tesla would save themselves a lot of grief if they just posted clear communications.

I was bummed out as nowhere in the initial literature did it mention that lane change was no longer part of AutoPilot. In fact both the online manual and posted video says lane change IS part of AutoPilot. Only after opening a support ticket did I find out it is no longer included as part of AutoPilot. Tesla would save themselves a lot of grief if they just posted clear communications.

As covered (exhaustively) already both the video and owners manual explicitly say they are referring to the features available with enhanced autopilot.

Which while no longer for sale had more features than the current basic autopilot.

Certainly they should've removed the old video, and updated the manual to describe the new version being sold though.

As covered (exhaustively) already both the video and owners manual explicitly say they are referring to the features available with enhanced autopilot.

Which while no longer for sale had more features than the current basic autopilot.

Certainly they should've removed the old video, and updated the manual to describe the new version being sold though.
Sorry but not true as there would not be all the confusion. If they changed the name to basic AutoPilot and listed the functions that would have been clear. Yes there are some references to enhanced AutoPilot but there are actually more where they just say AutoPilot.