Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New Tesla app animations, 👍 or 👎 ?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I like the new power flow colors. I have gotten used to the "new" (now existing) version of the app, as it relates to Tesla energy products, but I specifically like these new animation lines and colors.

If your home is getting more than one source of power at a time, each gets a line, and they now all have their own color so its easy to see.

If I trigger a car to charge during the day while solar is generating, I will see an orange line from solar to my home, a green line from the powerwalls to my home and a grey/white line from the grid to my home, so its easy to see whats happening at a glance.

I have the house in the animation, but not different colors
I believe its new as of the tesla app version that @jhn_ mentioned..... with the caveat that I am using iOS to access the tesla app, so dont know if android has been updated yet.

EDIT:

Here is a cropped pick I just took from my tesla app, after triggering my wifes model Y to charge (love that I can do this while I am 40 miles away at work, lol)

Powerwall Flows New App.jpg

Last edited:
I believe its new as of the tesla app version that @jhn_ mentioned..... with the caveat that I am using iOS to access the tesla app, so dont know if android has been updated yet.

EDIT:

Here is a cropped pick I just took from my tesla app, after triggering my wifes model Y to charge (love that I can do this while I am 40 miles away at work, lol)

View attachment 912348
Anyway to prevent Powerwall discharge and to use solar + grid only to charge the car?

My Android just updated but the only action I have right now is power to the house from the grid so I cannot tell any difference. :)

I guess this aligns with the energy graphs when you press the "all sources/destinations" button. Maybe they should have done flow the same way by adding a button.

EDIT:

View attachment 912348
I have recently had my system installed. I have powerwall 2x like yours shows, but I cannot get more than 5.3 kW. How is your’s putting out 8.3; and is my install botched and I should be getting more power?

I have recently had my system installed. I have powerwall 2x like yours shows, but I cannot get more than 5.3 kW. How is your’s putting out 8.3; and is my install botched and I should be getting more power?

Each powerwall 2 can provide up to 5kW of power, so max output for 2 powerwalls is 10kW. If you dont have PTO there may be some other cap I am unaware of. Without seeing a screenshot of what you are seeing, and when you are seeing it, I dont know what else to say other than powerwalls max out at 5kW each (or at least powerwall 2s do, not sure about poerwall+).

Did your house load require more than 5.3kW at the time and was pulling from the grid? If not then everything was fine as the Powerwalls will discharge only what is needed.

Each powerwall 2 can provide up to 5kW of power, so max output for 2 powerwalls is 10kW. If you dont have PTO there may be some other cap I am unaware of. Without seeing a screenshot of what you are seeing, and when you are seeing it, I dont know what else to say other than powerwalls max out at 5kW each (or at least powerwall 2s do, not sure about poerwall+).
I do have PTO. I have one powerwall 2 and one powerwall plus (which I understand is a pw2 with the solar inverter on top, right?).

I do have PTO. I have one powerwall 2 and one powerwall plus (which I understand is a pw2 with the solar inverter on top, right?).

Thats my understanding, yes although some of the data sheets for the powerwall+ show higher burst mode for providing power.

Nevertheless, you should be able to get 10kW of continuous power out of your 2 powerwalls, unless there is some specific technical reason in your setup which precludes that (which I havent heard of).

If you have a 60amp circuit for charging your car, have you tried triggering car charging at night, even for a few minutes, until it ramps up to 48amp? I only mention car charging because its the largest load that most people who have EVs can easily start and stop at will.

Its still somewhat on topic for this thread (since it shows the colors and what powerwall providing power looks like), but here is what it looks like for me if I am charging my car at night, and letting the powerwalls provide power by having the reserve low enough for them to do so:

charging.png