Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New tesla owner

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hey there new Tesla model S owner, just purchased a 2013 with only 4K miles and free super charging so I’m excited to break her in. Would love to know if there’s anything I should keep my eye out for.
Congratulations! First, if you take your eye out, wrap it in a hanky before putting it in the cup holder. That way it won't roll around.

Just kidding.

There's a lot to learn about having an EV. Quirks with autopilot, best strategies for battery care, strategies for long trips. Since there's no regular maintenance like oil changes, tune up and things like that it's easy to focus on some basics. Like keeping your tires at the recommended pressure. I think the major thing to focus on is battery care. There's many many posts and opinions on how to care for your battery to reduce degradation. You can search TMC for any info you want. My opinion is to charge to 55% daily if that fits your daily schedule. If not then charge to the minimum that fits your daily driving needs. Only charge above 80% when you need it.

One thing people overlook is the manual. It's available in your car and is searchable. It's your friend, refer to it first when you have quesions.

I love my 2022 MSLR, best car I've ever owned. Enjoy your new to you car.

Last edited:
Hey there new Tesla model S owner, just purchased a 2013 with only 4K miles and free super charging so I’m excited to break her in. Would love to know if there’s anything I should keep my eye out for.
A ‘13 with only 4K miles?! Wow, that’s an interesting find. Hard to give advice on all the “normal” things early Model S’s experienced, because of the low usage. What does car charge to at 90% and is it a 60 or 85?

I had a ‘13 for 5 years and sold it at 60K miles. I can share some future things to look out for, but most showed up at 25K + miles (e.g., milling noise from metal bearings in motor, eventual MCU/center screen slowness, door handle failures).

You should probably start with getting cooling system flushed, along with brake fluid. Not much else to check at low miles, other than health of 12V battery.

Congratulations! First, if you take your eye out, wrap it in a hanky before putting it in the cup holder. That way it won't roll around.

Just kidding.

There's a lot to learn about having an EV. Quirks with autopilot, best strategies for battery care, strategies for long trips. Since there's no regular maintenance like oil changes, tune up and things like that it's easy to focus on some basics. Like keeping your tires at the recommended pressure. I think the major thing to focus on is battery care. There's many many posts and opinions on how to care for your battery to reduce degradation. You can search TMC for any info you want. My opinion is to charge to 55% daily if that fits your daily schedule. If not then charge to the minimum that fits your daily driving needs. Only charge above 80% when you need it.

One thing people overlook is the manual. It's available in your car and is searchable. It's your friend, refer to it first when you have quesions.

Thank you I’ll keep that charge level since job is only a few miles away from home

Welcome to the world of Tesla. I am going to guess you got a "really good deal", and free supercharging to boot! Wow! What could go wrong?
One possible future for you for you is in a link listed below from Miss Panda. I hope you like reading. There's a good reason why so many 2013 "really good deal" Teslas' are on the used car market. Pre purchase research is everything.

Just kidding.

I've heard your state of charge recommendations before. Is that from Tesla?

The two highest ticket items are the high voltage battery (up to $21k) and rear drive unit (up to $7500).

More than 20% degradation on your high voltage battery (pack) is rarely a concern. However, BMS_029/018 or BMS_f107 alerts could happen requiring entire out of warranty pack replacement/repair due to water ingress, parasitic cell, failed battery management board, etc.

I realize you have only 4k miles currently but I personally know of some folks with as little as 30k miles that had the aforementioned alerts. That said, there are also many folks at over 300k miles on their original pack.

Recommend watching this video from @islandbayy for $100-200 equipment needed to DIY monitor your pack.

Once you get this equipment, then recommend this Calculated Average Capacity advice from @Recell CAC is King

Lastly, all early model rear drive units are subceptable to coolant leak within the drive unit that could lead to coolant damaging either the three inverter circuit boards, rotor/stator, or gear box located in the drive unit. Here's how to check your drive unit for coolant leak. Speed Sensor Check

Within the past year both Tesla and 3rd parties have introduced a "coolant delete" add on/modification to mitigate this coolant leakage issue. If you currently have no coolant in your speed sensor check, then a proactive "coolant delete" modification may be an an option. If you have coolant in your speed sensor check, then addressing that issue is also for your consideration.

In conclusion, I may have painted a sad picture. But 3 days after purchasing my 2012 P85 in Oct 2022, I received the BMS_u029 alert requiring a five figure pack replacement.

Last edited:
Reactions: zoomer0056
Congrats on your new S! My first S was a 2013 - great car! One thing to check is the tires. The rubber degrades over time. If these are the original tires (i.e. 11 years old), they should be replaced. Generally, tires last 5-7 years, even if you are not using them.

Enjoy your new cool ride!

I have several articles for new owners that might be helpful here: Articles – TeslaTap

Hi.

It would be very interresting to look some things up on your car. I assume it is the stock battery?

It would be nice to do a full charge and check the displayed range up. (There is some settings with typical and rated, that probably need to be correclty set first).

The displayed range will tell us the battery capacity. To make sure, we might need to use the enegy screen and calculate the battery capacity that way.

From my view, we get a chance to se the aging of a Tesla that has a old battery that was almost not used. If the cars has been charge as the most people do, my take is that the degradation probably do not differ very much from the average car, driven much more.

Whast exact model do you have? Battery etc?

Welcome to the world of Tesla. I am going to guess you got a "really good deal", and free supercharging to boot! Wow! What could go wrong?
One possible future for you for you is in a link listed below from Miss Panda. I hope you like reading. There's a good reason why so many 2013 "really good deal" Teslas' are on the used car market. Pre purchase research is everything.

I hate when people do this kind of post - just to scare the sh** out of a new owner. How about just a “welcome to Tesla, enjoy your awesome car!” instead of making her feel bad about an exciting new purchase.

Welcome and enjoy - and ignore all the doomsayers. Just because someone else had a problem doesn’t mean you will, and if you do then you deal with it. Getting info about what to know is much different than being made to regret your purchase right off the bat.

Because she, as well as someone else I know, as well as innumerable other people, live on Fantasy Island.
It's got free supercharging. It will cost me nothing to run. I can't lose!
Then reality hits, they are furious with Tesla and almost always, as NV Ray said, they are never heard from again.
Maybe this time the exception?
Time will tell.

I'm still driving my 2013 and have no plans to let it go. My biggest concern for a 2013 with only 4k miles would be the rear drive unit, as already mentioned. Mine was replaced a few times under warranty, but not since the last - well definitely over 100k miles anyway so I must have a high enough revision.
I almost can't wait for the battery to die so I can have a new one put in it and get more range and de-nerf my supercharging.

I like my 2013. I don't need more tech, and I use my huge front trunk. I still don't understand why people want the car to drive itself, I love driving this car. To each their own.

That post actually is a good read although it turned into meaningless rage and accusations. One big difference though. That 2015 Model S is around $60K during 2022 price peak. That is a big price purchase. If I purchased a terrible car that needs excessive service. I would've just sell the turd when the market is hot and move on. The 2013 model S OP bought cost around $15K. If it turns out to be a turd, just scrap it and move on. But I am genuinely curious on the 4K miles. Was the owner in jail this whole time? Can't think of a legit reason why 11 year old car only got 4K miles. Big alarm to me.

I can think of a few reasons for 4K miles in 11 years:
1) Only used to drive to work 5 miles away, so at 250 work days, that's about 4K miles in 11 years.
2) The owner believed Tesla would go out of business in late 2013 and the car would be a rare valuable car and parked it in a garage.
3) Bought it before being transferred overseas and got it back a few months ago.
4) The owner got amnesia and forgot they owned the car. They recently remembered and decided to sell.
5) It was shipped by boat in a container to Asia, but the buyer died and the car sat in the container for 11 years before being discovered.

I'm sure there could be quite a few other reasons!

I can think of a few reasons for 4K miles in 11 years:
1) Only used to drive to work 5 miles away, so at 250 work days, that's about 4K miles in 11 years.
You need to check the batteries in your calc ;)

4K miles is 363 each year so < 1 mile a day in average.
For only using it to work that means 0.72 miles single way distance to work. Or a little less, as you probably had to pickup the car at Tesla and drive it home first :)

Fun fact: I probably drive 4K miles during 11 years (~ once a week * 3.5 miles one way distance) just to refuel my ICE car before going EV.

I hope to hear more about this car.

Reactions: vcor and MitchMitch