Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New Tesla Vision Autopark!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Well how about instead of a snarky laugh you say what you thought was bad about it? It looks like to me it did the job successfully which is more than I can say for the current version of auto park.

also, why you Tesla haters keep talking about cars you can’t actually buy?
If I performed that parking maneuver myself I would be embarrassed. I guess I just expect a car with hardware capable of full self-driving to be better than the average human at parking. Intuitively it seems like a skill at which a machine should excel because it has much better vision coverage and can perfectly calculate trajectory.
People are always going to compare features with the state of art and Tesla seems to be behind in auto park. It doesn't look like the bar is all that high though and I bet it will get a lot better if they actually devote some resources to it.

If I performed that parking maneuver myself I would be embarrassed. I guess I just expect a car with hardware capable of full self-driving to be better than the average human at parking. Intuitively it seems like a skill at which a machine should excel because it has much better vision coverage and can perfectly calculate trajectory.

seems to work fine for me. It is being cautions because if it crash you blame it, if you crash you blame the other driver who parked a little too close to the line.

People are always going to compare features with the state of art and Tesla seems to be behind in auto park.

the other “auto park” people were comparing it to, Xpeng is not available to be tested other than in shill videos.

• Funny
Reactions: AlanSubie4Life
I remember Elon mentioning that they would eventually do auto park with just lines that did not require parked cars on either side. Nice to see that feature finally coming. I do like that it only uses lines. It will be more useful since it will mean it can be used for any parking spot. I agree it is very slow right now. I would certainly not use it in that condition. I don't even use the auto park now when other cars are around because it is too slow. I don't want to inconvenience other drivers who have to wait for my car to finish parking. Hopefully, the new auto park will improve. I also hope we eventually get to pick the spot. That would be nice too.

Reactions: helvio
I remember Elon mentioning that they would eventually do auto park with just lines that did not require parked cars on either side. Nice to see that feature finally coming. I do like that it only uses lines. It will be more useful since it will mean it can be used for any parking spot. I agree it is very slow right now. I would certainly not use it in that condition. I don't even use the auto park now when other cars are around because it is too slow. I don't want to inconvenience other drivers who have to wait for my car to finish parking. Hopefully, the new auto park will improve. I also hope we eventually get to pick the spot. That would be nice too.
Not contradicting you, but I use Parallel Parking anytime it's available. And perpendicular too, if it shows up when I'm arriving at work! I find it to be a little bit slower, yes, than if I did it myself. Especially perpendicular, but in a private lot, I get enjoyment of using the technology.

But back to parallel, it actually does a very decent job of getting out of the way fairly quickly (again, not as quickly as me) to the point that inconveniencing other people is not a concern. I live in the suburbs so maybe the expectations are different here, too, YMMV. Both parking methods have a really high success rate with me, and I enjoy it every time like it was the first time.

The reason I'm saying this is to hopefully motivate you to use it more. For no reason other than your own enjoyment of it. I've been convinced to use Smart Summon more by someone on this forum and had a good time with it ever since. There ARE subtle improvements happening across firmware versions which are not always mentioned. Give it a go more often!

Not contradicting you, but I use Parallel Parking anytime it's available. And perpendicular too, if it shows up when I'm arriving at work! I find it to be a little bit slower, yes, than if I did it myself. Especially perpendicular, but in a private lot, I get enjoyment of using the technology.

But back to parallel, it actually does a very decent job of getting out of the way fairly quickly (again, not as quickly as me) to the point that inconveniencing other people is not a concern. I live in the suburbs so maybe the expectations are different here, too, YMMV. Both parking methods have a really high success rate with me, and I enjoy it every time like it was the first time.

The reason I'm saying this is to hopefully motivate you to use it more. For no reason other than your own enjoyment of it. I've been convinced to use Smart Summon more by someone on this forum and had a good time with it ever since. There ARE subtle improvements happening across firmware versions which are not always mentioned. Give it a go more often!

Thanks. And to clarify, When I say that auto park is rather slow, I was referring to perpendicular parking. I've rarely have a need for parallel parking where I live. So I don't have any experience with the parallel parking part of the feature. I would probably use it since I am not very good at parallel parking.

I will definitely give auto park another try when I get a chance. And when the new vision-only auto park that uses the lines comes out on my car, I will definitely it a try too.

Thanks. And to clarify, When I say that auto park is rather slow, I was referring to perpendicular parking. I've rarely have a need for parallel parking where I live. So I don't have any experience with the parallel parking part of the feature. I would probably use it since I am not very good at parallel parking.

I will definitely give auto park another try when I get a chance. And when the new vision-only auto park that uses the lines comes out on my car, I will definitely it a try too.
I agree parallel park has always been a little slow even though it almost always does a respectable job. Parallel parking on the other hand is relatively quick and parks nearly as well as I do. I suspect most who bash it tried it once or twice without understanding how it works then make the claim that it sucks.

the same can be said, to a lesser degree, for smart summon. It does work, but you need to take the time to understand how it operates and what it’s limitations are. No, it’s definitely not a time saver in most circumstances, although there are some beneficial use cases. Sometimes I have it come to me as I walk to the car. By the time I get there, the car is unparked and I can just hop in and go. I suggest people learn the system, understand it’s limitations, and get creative using it.

Even the current autopark (for 90 degree spots, not parallel) works great as long as you swing the front of your car away from the spot as you drive by. It struggles to make the full 90 degree turn but if you help it by tilting your car 20-40 degrees it works like a charm. One smooth motion all the way into the spot, only slightly slower than a competent human backing in.

Also I'll note that my process for using auto park doesn't involve waiting for the "P" symbol to show up. I swing the car like I'd back into the spot and shift to reverse. Then if the autopark prompt is available ill hit go, otherwise ill just back into the spot myself.

parking-guidance.png

I'll be excited for it to work based on lines though!

Even the current autopark (for 90 degree spots, not parallel) works great as long as you swing the front of your car away from the spot as you drive by. It struggles to make the full 90 degree turn but if you help it by tilting your car 20-40 degrees it works like a charm. One smooth motion all the way into the spot, only slightly slower than a competent human backing in.

Also I'll note that my process for using auto park doesn't involve waiting for the "P" symbol to show up. I swing the car like I'd back into the spot and shift to reverse. Then if the autopark prompt is available ill hit go, otherwise ill just back into the spot myself.

View attachment 695277

I'll be excited for it to work based on lines though!
Yeah, for the life of me, I can't be consistent on getting the P sign to show. Controversially, when I'm driving out of my garage (townhouse development), it seems magical spots in between pillars and trash bins LOL

Probably due to USS only. Cameras would hopefully change the game.

Reactions: ahoen117
Yeah, for the life of me, I can't be consistent on getting the P sign to show. Controversially, when I'm driving out of my garage (townhouse development), it seems magical spots in between pillars and trash bins LOL

Probably due to USS only. Cameras would hopefully change the game.

Yup that's exactly the reason. Green even noted the camera-based one seems much much improved on detecting spots.

Why is autopark between lines (not between cars) still only available to the vision-only (no radar) cars? The older cars have all the sensors (cameras) currently being used, and it would be really easy to just switch off the radar input.

Why is autopark between lines (not between cars) still only available to the vision-only (no radar) cars? The older cars have all the sensors (cameras) currently being used, and it would be really easy to just switch off the radar input.
I'm sure they will get it, eventually. But even Tesla Vision cars don't have it yet. (Only EAP, Early Access Program, members have vision based Autopark right now.) And the new Model S doesn't have any Autopark at this time. (Other than for EAP members.)