Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New to the Tesla Community

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Just Bought a 2023 Tesla Model Y vehicle from the Fremont factory which was delivered to the house. After we unlocked it, we did a thorough inspection of the vehicle and only found a few minor issues with the fit of the panels. We are taking it in for a single panel that is about an 1/8th to 1/4 inch sticking out next to the right front headlight. I was surprised the economy build of the Tesla, having been driving mostly BMWs, I am guessing most of that is in the weight savings for extending the range of the Tesla. I had an older BWM M3, which was also very light, very fast (for it's day), and pretty austere in its luxury items, in order to increase its acceleration.

Excited to be a member of the Tesla community for the first time. Still a little nervous about the computer control part doing crazy things. As a retired Aerospace Engineer, I am always concerned about testing and safety. Will remain cautiously optimistic about the safety and performance of the Tesla....

Again, happy to be a part of the Tesla community.

Beware of touch less car washes. These car washes frequently use very high pH chemicals to loose the dirt from the exterior of the vehicle (instead of spinning brushes.) The chemicals used will discolor the black anodized trim around the doors and windows of the Tesla Model Y. The best option is to wash the Tesla Model Y at home using either a small power washer and accessories (soap cannon, two buckets, grit guard, wash mitts or sponge) or a rinseless wash product such as Optimum No Rinse Wash & Shine (1 bucket, grit guard, cross cut sponge or a stack of small micro fiber wash cloths.)

Last edited:
Just Bought a 2023 Tesla Model Y vehicle from the Fremont factory which was delivered to the house. After we unlocked it, we did a thorough inspection of the vehicle and only found a few minor issues with the fit of the panels. We are taking it in for a single panel that is about an 1/8th to 1/4 inch sticking out next to the right front headlight. I was surprised the economy build of the Tesla, having been driving mostly BMWs, I am guessing most of that is in the weight savings for extending the range of the Tesla. I had an older BWM M3, which was also very light, very fast (for it's day), and pretty austere in its luxury items, in order to increase its acceleration.

Excited to be a member of the Tesla community for the first time. Still a little nervous about the computer control part doing crazy things. As a retired Aerospace Engineer, I am always concerned about testing and safety. Will remain cautiously optimistic about the safety and performance of the Tesla....

Congrats on the new car. Enjoy the drive.

Beware of touch less car washes. These car washes frequently use very high pH chemicals to loose the dirt from the exterior of the vehicle (instead of spinning brushes.) The chemicals used will discolor the black anodized trim around the doors and windows of the Tesla Model Y. The best option is to wash the Tesla Model Y at home using either a small power washer and accessories (soap cannon, two buckets, grit guard, wash mitts or sponge) or a rinseless wash product such as Optimum No Rinse Wash & Shine (1 bucket, grit guard, cross cut sponge or a stack of small micro fiber wash cloths.)
Thanks, also could explain why our other vehicles black trim is fading.

Thanks, also could explain why our other vehicles black trim is fading.
The touch less car wash chemicals (very high pH) can leave either a rainbow oil slick discoloration or a brown mottled discoloration. These can be treated, temporarily remedied with the application of WD-40, Mothers Back to Black and other compounds but the discoloration will return after a time.

The touch less car wash chemicals (very high pH) can leave either a rainbow oil slick discoloration or a brown mottled discoloration. These can be treated, temporarily remedied with the application of WD-40, Mothers Back to Black and other compounds but the discoloration will return after a time.

As you mentioned, both of those products just mask the problem. The damage to the anodization is permanent.

Welcome! Good luck with the car. And please take a few moments to scan the forum here, when you have a question. 95% of questions can be answered between the OM and a quick scan here. Tons of good info.

Congratulations! I'm coming up on 2 years in the Tesla family. First EV was not a Tesla. The software is mostly good with some common issues like phantom braking. The initial quality of Tesla is just not that good when compared to Legacy auto makers. It's something most owners put up with because the cool factor a tech make it worth it.

Once demand and supply stabilize I think Tesla will eventually address the quality and service issues.

I just run a rag along the black trim with a tad bit of the good WD40, rainbow discoloration gone.

As an aerospace engineer I worked in flight controls for a while....a whole lot of redundancy is required to ensure safe operation....I remain cautiously optimistic that this system will work as intended. Some aerospace systems didn't over they years, but it is now one of the safest forms of transport out there. thanks for the link!

Thanks....I think we are planning on washing the car ourselves. We got a full paint protection film with a ceramic coating over the whole body to protect everything....we are planning on reaching that 500,000 mile goal.

Reactions: Yelobird