Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New tow hitch cover

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I just took delivery of a MYP (June 2021 build) and the tow hitch cover (1494009-00-C) was very easy to remove using a flat screwdriver by just unclipping two of the tabs at the top with minimal pressure, and then using my fingers to pop the cover off. I had purchased the EveryAmp tool in anticipation but it was totally worthless as it was too big to easily slip in between the bumper and cover.

View attachment 676337
This looks exactly like my cover 1494009-00-A
Curious what the difference is? Does it look different on the other side?

Here is 1494009-00-A

Attachments

• 647005D2-F571-4A27-9CB8-EC9F8DE21E39.jpeg
    647005D2-F571-4A27-9CB8-EC9F8DE21E39.jpeg
    780.2 KB · Views: 543
  • 3EBD2F99-5478-4F18-88A2-48C2D788F3A5.jpeg
    3EBD2F99-5478-4F18-88A2-48C2D788F3A5.jpeg
    727.9 KB · Views: 256
I have a mobile service coming up (I'm finally getting around to getting the couple delivery issues fixed after almost a year) and so I threw in a cover plate. I have an 8/2020 build so I'll see if the covers look the same. Or feel the same. Even if newer builds are easier, it could be some change in the bumper piece itself and not the cover.

I'm probably gong to try this mod with the old cover.

Not affiliated, but saw this on Reddit and I bought one, looks like a good solution to me. It shipped already, so can update on fit and finish when it is delivered.

Not affiliated, but saw this on Reddit and I bought one, looks like a good solution to me. It shipped already, so can update on fit and finish when it is delivered.

Please do let us know!

While I certainly credit all of the ingenuity of the different modifications, I'm not sure why people don't just use the mod done by Living Tesla - removing all but 4 of the clips. The cover pops off without any tools (if you have a bit of fingernail) and back on very easily, and stays on. And it looks 100% stock from the outside. No handles, grabbers or other geegaws.

While I certainly credit all of the ingenuity of the different modifications, I'm not sure why people don't just use the mod done by Living Tesla - removing all but 4 of the clips. The cover pops off without any tools (if you have a bit of fingernail) and back on very easily, and stays on. And it looks 100% stock from the outside. No handles, grabbers or other geegaws.
I've removed some clips and still have some trouble. Maybe I need to look at their video again to see which ones they got rid of and remove some more.

Reactions: 52 16 57 39
I just took delivery of a MYP (June 2021 build) and the tow hitch cover (1494009-00-C) was very easy to remove using a flat screwdriver by just unclipping two of the tabs at the top with minimal pressure, and then using my fingers to pop the cover off. I had purchased the EveryAmp tool in anticipation but it was totally worthless as it was too big to easily slip in between the bumper and cover.

View attachment 676337
How did you use a screwdriver to fit in between the gap and not indent the plastics? I just tried a couple very tiny screwdrivers, and jamming them into the gap seemed like it was going to leave indentations and damage.

How did you use a screwdriver to fit in between the gap and not indent the plastics? I just tried a couple very tiny screwdrivers, and jamming them into the gap seemed like it was going to leave indentations and damage.
I use a very thin one so I can get it in gap for some leverage with only very minimal wear to the plastic. (see thin one on right vs standard on left)

IMG_5104.jpg

Reactions: DavidAsheville

Just delivered, it works just as expected. Color and texture are slightly different (see pics below), but close enough for me. Very easy to take on and off and stays in place. Excuse my dirty MY 😂

Quick on/off video:
IMG_0082.jpeg
IMG_0086.jpeg