Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New UMC?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The interesting part I noticed was that it appears you guys are being shipped brand new UMCs with the new adapters, and being asked for the old UMC back, however I know 2 Teslas in Calgary that were just shipped from the east (mine and one other) that were both shipped with the new crippled adapter, but very obviously the old UMC (a bit banged up, (very banged up for the other on, I was surprised they didn't replace it as part of the "refurbishing" process for the car))

So I'm not sure why we got stuck with the new adapter, but not a new UMC when you guys are getting both. (I'd much rather they'd given us a new UMC, and left the old adapter...)

The interesting part I noticed was that it appears you guys are being shipped brand new UMCs with the new adapters, and being asked for the old UMC back, however I know 2 Teslas in Calgary that were just shipped from the east (mine and one other) that were both shipped with the new crippled adapter, but very obviously the old UMC (a bit banged up, (very banged up for the other on, I was surprised they didn't replace it as part of the "refurbishing" process for the car))

So I'm not sure why we got stuck with the new adapter, but not a new UMC when you guys are getting both. (I'd much rather they'd given us a new UMC, and left the old adapter...)

That seems very strange. Are you also being limited to 32A with the new adapter? The new adapter (32A version) would not work with my old UMC cable.

The interesting part I noticed was that it appears you guys are being shipped brand new UMCs with the new adapters, and being asked for the old UMC back, however I know 2 Teslas in Calgary that were just shipped from the east (mine and one other) that were both shipped with the new crippled adapter, but very obviously the old UMC (a bit banged up, (very banged up for the other on, I was surprised they didn't replace it as part of the "refurbishing" process for the car))So I'm not sure why we got stuck with the new adapter, but not a new UMC when you guys are getting both. (I'd much rather they'd given us a new UMC, and left the old adapter...)
I assume these are CPO vehicles and not new vehicles?

When mine came from FedEx I called Tesla to ask what this was all about. The real story is that although the old UMC was UL approved, it was not CSA approved - and they asked for modifications. I was told that the new UMC will charge at a slightly slower rate (about 2-3 MPH). I only use the UMC when I'm on the road and 2-3 MPH or 4-6 KPH matters to me. I'm not giving up my old UMC voluntarily.

UL listed devices are acceptable for use in Canada, so not sure what that is all about.

If it plugs in, and is not a class 2, low voltage, limited power (eg 24 volt 20 ma) device, it has to have a Canadian approval. The Canadian approval can be from a number of test labs, such as CSA, UL, ETL etc. In order to distinguish it as a Canadian approval, UL's label has a "C" in front, and Tesla has opted to meet approval with their facility. Image attached. A plain UL label would not be acceptable for use in Canada, rather that it has been approved for NEMA standards in the US.

I do believe that TESLA thought the UMC was an extension of the car - no approval needed. I suspect they have been challenged on this

cul.png

If it plugs in, and is not a class 2, low voltage, limited power (eg 24 volt 20 ma) device, it has to have a Canadian approval. The Canadian approval can be from a number of test labs, such as CSA, UL, ETL etc. In order to distinguish it as a Canadian approval, UL's label has a "C" in front, and Tesla has opted to meet approval with their facility. Image attached. A plain UL label would not be acceptable for use in Canada, rather that it has been approved for NEMA standards in the US.

I do believe that TESLA thought the UMC was an extension of the car - no approval needed. I suspect they have been challenged on this

View attachment 101415

Thanks for the clarification (and also to @Doug_G). I'm more familiar with the utility side (O.Reg. 22/04) than the consumer side, and there are a number of acceptable certifications for distribution equipment, including UL.

But I think you are correct on the challenge and that Tesla was operating on the assumption that as part of the car, it didn't require cUL approval. I saw the same thing happen in my industry where the ESA challenged us on a particular style of smart meter even though technically they don't require UL or cUL approval either. US and Canadian utilities are starting to require meter manufacturers start testing and certifying meters to new UL standards as a kind of preemptive measure.

- - - Updated - - -

... but they are not completely identical. C-UL follows CSA standards.

In my aforementioned smart meter example, UL standards are being developed and there will be a slightly tweaked cUL version of it coming out, but there is currently no applicable CSA standard at all.

That's a different situation though, I'm stuck with the 32A adapter because my car came from Toronto, I doubt they'd swap it for a 40A one

But if it's an Ontario thing only, they should swap it. You might want to call first to check with them.

I have a feeling that all new ones for Canada will be 32amp. That seems pretty clear from the part numbers:

TESLA PN: 1014324-00-E (US)
TESLA PN: 1059530-00-A (Canada)
Tesla Accessories and Charging Adapters NEMA 14-50

However, I was able to place the US one in my bin and get to checkout. I didn't take it any further. I see no reason that we can't buy one since there is a legitimate use for it, which is driving through the States. I have also ordered from Tesla in the States and had stuff shipped to my mail service in Blaine, WA because the shipping fees are significantly less.

So one way or another you should be able to get one.

I got one and it was sent to my old address in Ottawa sometimes late August or early September. I picked it up last weekend. I think I should read this entire thread to be able to tell what's going on. The old one is still in the garage so I really didn't test the maximum current of the new one (too lazy).