Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New UMC?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Thanks. My outlet was made specifically for the Tesla and they used a 50amp circuit.

BTW, I tried the new 32 amp cable with my old 40amp adapter and it will charge at 40amps. What gives? It seems for me, the cable doesn't matter at all and it's the adapter that determines the rate. And all cables recognize all adapters for my set of 3 cables and 2 adapters.

Thanks. My outlet was made specifically for the Tesla and they used a 50amp circuit.

BTW, I tried the new 32 amp cable with my old 40amp adapter and it will charge at 40amps. What gives? It seems for me, the cable doesn't matter at all and it's the adapter that determines the rate. And all cables recognize all adapters for my set of 3 cables and 2 adapters.

The adaptor is indeed the limiting factor.
The Canadian version adaptor will limit to 32A with any UMC.
The US version adaptor will work at 40A with any UMC...AFAIK

FWIW, there is nothing about a 50 amp NEMA 14-50 that makes it "specific" for the Tesla. For instance, a lot of campgrounds use them for RV connections. It's just that most things plugged into a 14-50 are loads of a variable or intermittent nature. Stoves will cycle on and off, RVs will not always have everything running at the same time and so forth. An EV is a different beast. It comes on and draws the full 40 amps for hours on end. This can cause even the tiniest of loose connections or loose plug prongs to heat up to the point of (possible) danger.

The adaptor is indeed the limiting factor.
The Canadian version adaptor will limit to 32A with any UMC.
The US version adaptor will work at 40A with any UMC...AFAIK

I still have my original and new UMC set. At the time I did some testing and found, if I recall, that certain combinations of new/old adapters wouldn't work. I am pretty sure the old 40 amp adapter wouldn't work at all with the new UMC.

FWIW, there is nothing about a 50 amp NEMA 14-50 that makes it "specific" for the Tesla. For instance, a lot of campgrounds use them for RV connections. It's just that most things plugged into a 14-50 are loads of a variable or intermittent nature. Stoves will cycle on and off, RVs will not always have everything running at the same time and so forth. An EV is a different beast. It comes on and draws the full 40 amps for hours on end. This can cause even the tiniest of loose connections or loose plug prongs to heat up to the point of (possible) danger.

I still have my original and new UMC set. At the time I did some testing and found, if I recall, that certain combinations of new/old adapters wouldn't work. I am pretty sure the old 40 amp adapter wouldn't work at all with the new UMC.
FYI: My old 40 amp adapter spare I had worked with my newer UMC.

Yes, I know this. The point I was trying to make is that I am not using a previously installed 40amp circuit. I had a new 50amp circuit and breaker installed with a separate meter for the Tesla specifically.

On another note:
I confirmed that all my adapters work with all my cables, and the adapter is indeed the rate limiting factor. It doesn't matter which cable I use, but the draw is only limited by the adapter. I just sold a new UMC cable with an old 40amp adapter and the combo works for the new owner.

I doubt it. I order stuff from Tesla online and have it shipped to my PO Box in the States because the shipping price to Canada is insane. So all you need to do it order one from the US site and have it shipped to the States so they give you the American version of 40 amps, and make sure your specify TESLA PN: 1014324-00-E (US)

Tesla Accessories and Charging Adapters NEMA 14-50

Someone just needs to tell us if the old adapter on the new UMC still gives 40 amps?

The automatic amperage limitations come from the adapter. That's why you have to manually set charging limits when using a home-made 14-50 to 14-30 or other outlet you may have that is not supported by a Tesla adapter.

The automatic amperage limitations come from the adapter. That's why you have to manually set charging limits when using a home-made 14-50 to 14-30 or other outlet you may have that is not supported by a Tesla adapter.

Wow, you replied to my post from Oct 13, 2015. I had trouble remembering what I wrote but in re-reading this thread it had to do with Tesla swapping out UMC's in Ontario to 32 amp ones, even with a 14-50 adapter. I know (knew) the UMC selects the amp rating from the adapter but I didn't know if the new UMC's for Ontario were limited to 32 amps even with a US 14-50 adapter.

Wow, you replied to my post from Oct 13, 2015. I had trouble remembering what I wrote but in re-reading this thread it had to do with Tesla swapping out UMC's in Ontario to 32 amp ones, even with a 14-50 adapter. I know (knew) the UMC selects the amp rating from the adapter but I didn't know if the new UMC's for Ontario were limited to 32 amps even with a US 14-50 adapter.
I've gotta learn to look at the dates when a post comes up as "new Posts". :)

• Funny
Reactions: Canuck and Falkirk
FYI: My old 40 amp adapter spare I had worked with my newer UMC.

It must have been the other way around, then. Must have been my new 32 amp adapter wouldn't work with my old UMC set.

I confirmed that all my adapters work with all my cables, and the adapter is indeed the rate limiting factor. It doesn't matter which cable I use, but the draw is only limited by the adapter. I just sold a new UMC cable with an old 40amp adapter and the combo works for the new owner.

Not for me. When my new UMC set arrived, I tried all combinations and one wouldn't work (see above). There could be differences in the UMCs over time. My original 40 amp one was from Feb 2013.

I just noticed I now have a different 14-50 adapter since my car went in for a quick 12V battery swap. Tesla never mentioned anything about swapping out my old 14-50 for the new one and the paperwork doesn't mention it either. I'm a bit disturbed that they wouldn't disclose this to me and equate it to theft. Pretty sure if I call and ask for my old one back they won't give it to me so kicking myself now for not removing it before going in for service.

I just noticed I now have a different 14-50 adapter since my car went in for a quick 12V battery swap. Tesla never mentioned anything about swapping out my old 14-50 for the new one and the paperwork doesn't mention it either. I'm a bit disturbed that they wouldn't disclose this to me and equate it to theft. Pretty sure if I call and ask for my old one back they won't give it to me so kicking myself now for not removing it before going in for service.

Whenever I take my car (any car) in for service, I always remove all of my personal stuff... even from the glove box. I've done this for years. It's a bit of a pain, but then I never have to deal with anything missing from the car.

I started doing this after witnessing a customer and a car dealership arguing quite heatedly over some missing CDs or something from the car.

New Tesla owners can still pick up 40 amp adapters from the US. I purchased 2 US versions from Tesla online and shipped them to a US address without a problem. If you are near a US Tesla store, you can also pick one up from there. Paid $105 USD taxes and shipping included for 2 adapters.

I got a recall notice from Tesla in the mail yesterday regarding the 14-30 adaptor I bought from them when I got my car nearly three years ago now. It says they are sending me a new one due to soldering issues and I am to send the old one back in the same packing and with the return label they will provide. I barely use that adaptor. I bought it for the dryer at my cabin before I installed a HPWC.

Whenever I take my car (any car) in for service, I always remove all of my personal stuff... even from the glove box. I've done this for years. It's a bit of a pain, but then I never have to deal with anything missing from the car.

I'm the same way. When my car went into Tesla to replace the 12 volt battery recently I emptied it all out into a couple of boxes in my garage. Then I have to put it all back in and I often wonder if it's worth the hassle. I justify it by using the opportunity to clean and sort things out. It's not so much the shop people I am concerned about. There's opportunity for a lot of people to remove things when vehicles are being moved around in parking lots and being worked on.

I got a recall notice from Tesla in the mail yesterday regarding the 14-30 adaptor I bought from them when I got my car nearly three years ago now. It says they are sending me a new one due to soldering issues and I am to send the old one back in the same packing and with the return label they will provide. I barely use that adaptor. I bought it for the dryer at my cabin before I installed a HPWC.
There are a bunch of us with 10-30 and 14-30 adapters that were purchased second hand. We're still waiting to hear how to exchange ours.