Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New UMC?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My car was at the Montreal Service Center yesterday and they performed the courtesy inspection... Owner cable charged normally at 40 amps.
They didn't replace my adapter.

Well, I got my car from Montreal and it had the 32A version...but it may be because it was a CPO coming from Toronto.
Had I seen your post before, I would have tried getting a 40A version here in Montreal
instead a did a detour while in Florida and went to the SC there to get one.
I guess, I need to ask next time I'm at the SC if they sell the 40A here...

• Informative
Reactions: Blurry_Eyed
We know it's the pilot resistor in the adapter piece that communicates default charge Amperage.

We know the new UMC works with the 14-50 40A adapter that you can still get in USA. But not the other way around, the old UMC doesn't recognize the new Canadian 32A adapter - because it's not in the lookup table of allowable reference pilot resistances/voltage that the UMC has programmed into it. So UMC will just glow red.

The difference between the Canadian adapter pilot (20k1 ohm) and USA pilot resistor (9k1 ohm) is 16k6 ohm, wired in parallel with what is in the new Canadian adapter.

So if you drop an additional 16k6 resistor onto the two pilot pins on the adapter, the Canadian 32A adapter would appear to be the USA 40A adapter, as recognized by the UMC (new or old would glow green) and by the car... which would then default to 40A from the setup.

..just saying... if you're into hacking an adapter.

Or just buy the American one.

Here's another hack you can do the 14-50 adapter: chop off the neutral pin. It's not used. Now you can plug into 14-30 or 14-50 receptacles, just dial down the Amperage on the car accordingly when using a 14-30 outlet. One less adapter to carry around.

Last edited:
Do we know why the Canadian version is down to 32A instead of 40A ?? Why having two standards between USA and Canada? My 40A adapter is working perfectly...

The old UMC had no cUL approval (UL listing to CSA standard). We suspect when they tried to get approval,it could only pass at 32 Amps. So far, it appears that only Ontario owners received new UMC and adapters, but I suspect any new MS and UMC sold in Canada will have the new NEMA 14-50 adapter at 32 Amps.

See New UMC?
and Southern Ontario Tesla Owner's Club

The problem is the exchange rate. A Canadian amp is about 80% of a US amp. It was near par a couple of years ago when the old UMCs were being sold, but when the exchange rate dropped, it became too costly to charge with US amps and Tesla had to make an adjustment.
Very funny...

Isn't it strange that beer works in the opposite direction as we have to make it stronger in Canada due to the weaker currency.

Well your kilometres are smaller than miles, and your (petrol) litres are smaller than gallons, so why not have smaller amps too? :p

If you want to get technical about it, the Canadian gallon is 20% larger than the USG; we just don't use it any more. Over 40 years ago we abandoned systems of measurement based on the size of body parts of various ancient rulers. :) And speaking as an engineer, it would be appreciated if you Americans did the same! It would save the rest of us the nonsense of having to deal with anachronistic hybrid units like kips (kilopounds) and ksi (kips/square inch)!!

Reactions: GSP
Yes, I agree we are using the antiquated inferior system, and are too stuck in our old ways to conform with the rest of the modern world when it comes to technical measurements.

We have tried to convert, but failed...
Metrication in the United States - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Metric Conversion Act - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

So... given that the inch is based on the width of a thumb, if Donald Trump gets elected, does the US inch get shorter? Just wondering. :) And now that I've gone completely off topic, I'll let this rest. Apologies to all.

• Funny
Reactions: skrenes
Do we know why the Canadian version is down to 32A instead of 40A ?? Why having two standards between USA and Canada? My 40A adapter is working perfectly...

In Canada,. the 14-50 plug is frequently installed on a 40amp breaker, so 32 amps continuous is the maximum you can draw.

This summer at a PEI rental cottage the stove 14-50 was on a 40amp breaker, so I used the new 14-50 adapter, drew 32amps, and charged worry free. At home I use the 14-50 adapter that draws 40amps and keep everything straight by writing on the adapters with a marker.

I used the old UMC at our old farmhouse in Nova Scotia just as I did last summer. I plugged it into the 14-50 stove outlet but this time it blew the fuse. I then used the NEMA 14-30 dryer outlet, like I did last summer and it blew the fuse. I noticed both times that on the charging screen in the car that the car had reset from the appropriate setting back to an 80 amps draw. I then had to use the 15 amp adaptor to charge the car at 6 km/hr! That was in late June. I drove back down to N.S. three weeks ago and used the new "Canadian" UMC with the new NEMA 14-50 adaptor that came with it, using the stove plug, and this time it worked perfectly, with no resets by the car.

I'm bringing this topic up again because I have had 3 UMC cables in my possession since I got sent the new version last year, still in the box. I'm ready to sell it as I don't even need 2 cables, let alone 3.

My garage has the NEMA 14-50 outlet on a 50amp breaker. I have been charging at 40amps without any problem. Is the limit to 32amps only for 40amp breakers or am I also risking anything still charging with the old UMC and adaptor?

And I am to understand that the limit in charging is at the adaptor level, not the cable, but the old UMC will not recognize a new adaptor, but the new UMC will recognize either the 32amp or 40amp?

My garage has the NEMA 14-50 outlet on a 50amp breaker. I have been charging at 40amps without any problem. Is the limit to 32amps only for 40amp breakers or am I also risking anything still charging with the old UMC and adaptor?

The ESA has what is known as "the 80% rule" for "continuous loads" such as an electric vehicle charging. That means that you should not load the circuit to more than 80% of its rated capacity. So yes, on a 40 amp circuit you should not charge above 32 amps.

In theory, you should be able to charge on a 50 amp circuit at 40 amps. I think the ESA ordered the recall/replacement in Ontario because a) there are a lot of 40 amp NEMA 14-50 receptacles out there for kitchen stoves and b) there is some evidence of overheating/damage/fires when pulling a continuous 40 amps from these sockets if there is any hint of a loose connection.